“A lovely welcome and good food”

Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is a little off the beaten track but worth the journey if you want a quiet pleasant stay. We were greeted on arrival and made welcome immediately. The log burner in the hallway was a great place to warm up and unwind after travelling from Cornwall. Our room was very spacious although a little cold since it was January and the heating was provided by cast iron radiators. The very large bathroom, however, was comfortably warm. We had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant (part of the package). My husband had an excellent local steak and I had the mushroom stroganoff which was superb. Starters and desserts were equally good: indeed the home made ice cream is a must for any ice cream fans! Snow was forecast and arrived during the night but it didn't prevent the staff from getting in. So we had an lovely English breakfast to see us on our way home. Only two small disappointments; it was a pity that there was no wifi in the bedrooms and the coffee in the sachets provided, although a quality make, was a little bitter for those of us who drink it black.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
John S, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Very many thanks for your lovely words, so pleased you enjoyed. You will be pleased to know that we have just installed a second wi-fi system so you will be able to enjoy wi-fi in your room when next you return. Also, if you would like to request a cafietiere and a sashet of ground coffee of your choice for your room, we will be delighted to arrange so that you may enjoy a really superb cup of freshly made black coffee in the morning to round off what I hope will be, a simply perfect stay.

Best wishes from John & the Team

Reviewed December 26, 2012

firstly I would like to give a huge thank you to John and all the staff at Farthings,we were unfortunately flooded in our home on the 20th nov 2012 by just over 2 foot of water we were placed in Farthing for 10 nights until we could find a property to rent for the next 6months ,anyway John and his staff made my husband and myself feel very welcome even though we were not the normal cliental they would normally have stay there coming in and out in dirty clothes and whellies from work and clearing our home up. we stayed in Rowen which was on the top floor [no risk of flooding there] the room was very comfortable warm and homely with a lovely huge bed cleaned everyday to a high standard the the breakfast was very nice as was the evening meal even though I had to eat alone on a few occasions as my husband was working late and the staff couldn't do enough for me thank you lads the atmosphere in the hotel is very pleasant and inviting I would strongly recommend a stay here

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank worththewait2000
John S, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

So pleased you enjoyed and thank you for your kind words. I hope that your home is getting back to normal and that we shall be abe to welcome you back for dinner sometime. Happy New Year. John & team

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having stayed a few times in the past, I knew to expect an excellent weekend of good food, roaring fires and a comfy bed! I arrived a weary and tired soul.... I left feeling recharged and so relaxed I could fall over. Thanks to all at the Farthings for taking care of me, hope to stay again soon.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thanks for your review. I very much hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Happy New Year!

John & Team

Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a really comfortable little hotel. Tucked away in the Somerset countryside, accessed by country roads and with only 11 or so rooms it is a little gem and one of the few hotels that I’d happily return to, even if I were paying. The public rooms are cosily intimate (especially when it’s lashing down outside) with woodburners in both the lounge and bar. The bar is small but adequately equipped and the lounge the same. But they’re places that, on a dull cold day you could happily spend all day in reading. The bedrooms (well mine anyway) was equally inviting. Furniture was nicely arranged and in keeping with the character of the hotel with a room spacious enough to accommodate it without crowding or being lost. The bathroom was fine with good towels and toiletries and masses of hot water. Breakfast was good although at £14 (if not on a B&B tariff) it seemed a trifle expensive. But there was ample to have and the quality was excellent. The same can be said for the dinner I had in the restaurant. As the hotel is some distance from alternatives you are a bit constrained regarding choice. But the menu was interesting and the quality of ingredients, its cooking and presentation was first class. The staff (well, the one I saw) are cheerful, helpful, capable and accommodating. I should have left him a tip. So much for the positives so the negatives. Very few I’m pleased to say. The shower’s water pressure was abysmal but it did the job and the bath itself compensated magnificently. Although the hotel is well maintained and the décor generally good there was some peeling of the paintwork on the bedroom windows which remained steadfastly single-glazed. Prices were, if you went for the rack-rate, a little high I thought for a 3 star hotel and dinner was just a touch on the expensive side. But having said that much of the food came from the hotel’s own farm (for want of a better word) and the quality was really very good. My dinner came to just under £40 for three courses which, on reflection, wasn’t at all bad. Overall so much better than it’s comparably priced competition: I researched alternatives locally and a Premier Inn with attached Beefeater would have been about the same price, all in. But the Farthings offers an incomparably better experience and is well worth the drive down country lanes.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
FarthingsHotel, Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Many thanks for your kind words, We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Farthings in the near future. As noted the peeling paint as been removed and re-done.

once again many thanks

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was booked in at Farthings purely as an convienence as I was working next door. So I was totally delighted with the charm of the place, small, intermit and friendly. Open fires and atmospheric dining rooms fitted so well with the beautiful Georgian building. All the staff ensured my stay was great , but i,m going back just before Xmas just for the Vension . Loved the chef !!! They grow their own turkeys and much of their produce. Happy Tummy

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
John S, Owner at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Julie - So many thanks for your kind words and indeed, for your visit. We very much hope to have te opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Happy Christmas!

John & Team

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were recommended this hotel by a friend earlier in the year, so decided to break a long journey there. We booked dinner bed and breakfast and were upgraded to the most beautiful 'master' room called Bay. We received a warm welcome, the room was spacious and very comfortable, and the food was first class. Lots of log fires and comfy chairs in all areas, and we felt nothing was too much trouble for the owners and staff. We won't hesitate to book in again- I can't wait!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
FarthingsHotel, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Very many thanks for your review, so pleased you enjoyed. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Best wishes from John & team

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have been visiting the Farthings for 5 years now and - somehow - it just gets better and better. Great chef, great staff, great atmosphere - we`re made to feel really special. Thank you John and Dan and everyone else - and see you soon!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

As always, Gill, a great pleasure to see you both. Thanks for your glowing review. See you soon, John & team