“Went on a bad night!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Plough Inn
Ranked #57 of 252 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Went on a bad night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I visited The Plough a week ago after watching the cricket nearby, on the way to the ground I walked past The Plough, saw the board saying Somerset CAMRA cider pub of the year, and instantly earmarked it for a swift pint on return to the station. Took a while to get served as it was busy, but I noticed a female staff member at the other end of the bar laughing and talking with customers, and completely ignoring for some time the 5 or 6 punters waiting at the other end - me included.
I was eventually served by another person who was apologetic, whom appeared to be doing all the work. So I am in a nice pub, talking cricket, with real ales and 10 ciders on tap - great! Then I "tried" to get another pint, but the same female staff member was standing directly in front of me on her mobile, avoiding eye contact and with obviously no intention of serving anyone. Then a male staff member came towards me, good I thought, and he then bent down behind the bar, plugging in various mobile phones to chargers, and then walked off with several customers still vainly holding out their money.
So basically I left and got served in the pub across the road in a normal way. Perhaps I was unlucky, and clearly it's a very popular place, so for me service was [--] and £3.50 for a pint of 3.8% beer steep.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Taunton, United Kingdom
“my favourite local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Country Pub in the town with great local ales & ciders and pieminster pies. They only do pies, fries and icecream. But thats fine with me.
My dog loves it there too

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Taunton, United Kingdom
“love this pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

we have recently moved to Taunton and chose the Plough to watch the 6 nations, brilliant atmosphere, nice friendly pub with lots of nooks and crannies to explore! Food was ok, bit pricey.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bath
“Don't let the outside put you off!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

You need to fight your way through the smokers and past the locals to the bar but it's worth it for tasty (and super-strength!) local cider. You may have to cosy up to get a seat but there's three floors of haphazard seating that gives it a great atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
London
“Great drinking pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I met with some friends recently at the Plough. Good beer, good atmosphere. We meet there regularly now.

Visited February 2013