“First return since the fire”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rose and Crown

The Rose and Crown
Ranked #17 of 56 Taunton B&B and Inns
“First return since the fire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We hadn't visited this pub since it was gutted by fire approximately eight years ago....prior to that we had visited on a number of occasions. The transformation is a delight and the use of mismatched chairs (they look great) and beautiful light beams adds a touch of warmth to a lovely interior. What made it particularly inviting was the charm of the lady that served our drinks..she was so warm and welcoming and made sure we felt special. The light beer was well kept and the food was particularly enjoyable...we only had a withymans lunch and some chips, but it was well presented and very edible. I am only sorry that it is about 60 miles from where we live otherwise it would be a pub we would visit far more often. If you are able to stop off at the Rose and Crown then do go..even without a satnav you will find it in Stoke St Gregory easily enough.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deborahski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
grantham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Been here before . Difficult to find with a 62 year old brain and no sat nav. Glad I did because room is the same as before and very acceptable. Food as room is still good. However the servings are too large for me. Snake hips alas I am not; but the very good veg were largely wasted. I think a two size menu would help. If you are a local rejoice as this must be a destination you would risk driving to in the swamp which was still evident in the levels. GOD it must hace been hell.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank endorphinerush
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for a night to break a long journey - the pub is approx 15 mins from the M5 and well worth the drive.
The bar was bustling and busy with a mixture of locals and visitors. Welcoming staff quickly showed us to our connecting two bedrooms which were well presented, nicely decorated and equipped (free WiFi). Carpet could have done with a vacuum in one of the rooms but nothing drastic. Quirky angles and room shapes help maintain the character of the pub which was pretty much completely rebuilt following a fire in 2008.
Relaxed atmosphere in restaurant area which connects to the bar so you don't feel disconnected from the bar life. Tasty food, lovely home baked bread and a good pint (or three) of Exmoor Ale. Breakfast was good with excellent kippers. Staff lovely throughout our stay.
Would definitely return or recommend.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MMPET S
East Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Booked in for two nights on business. Was allocated a downstairs room that had a kitchen. Overall the staff were helpful and friendly and the fish was the best I have tasted for a long time.
The room was the issue, It had the impression that it was a working part of the catering side with a bed. Shelves with cake stands and general catering supplies lined the walls and the sight of some sort of environmental trap containers under the counter top was not expected. The main flaw was at 4.30 am I woke up freezing as the heating appeared to have gone off and a toilet too close to the wall to use properly.
Did not stay the second night as my schedule had changed. To be honest I would not use again but perhaps my experience was out of the ordinary compared to the views of other reviewers.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor room the rest appear to be very good
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank GimletEastYorkshire
MrRickyTaunton, Owner at The Rose and Crown, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
We are sorry that you had an uncomfortable stay with us.
You where staying in our ground room only because we where full upstairs, so we don't normally offer this to guests, but your booking was short notice and your other colleagues where already booked in, I hope you can feel you can stay with us again and we will make sure it would be better then your last experience.
Glad you enjoyed your meal.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

As part of a team attending the Somerset Level floods, we found ourselves stumbling across this little gem. Although located some way from the M5, its a place well worth staying. The staff were friendly and more than helpful. The rooms, although on the small side are comfortable and have all you need. The location is fantastic if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of it all. Food was fantastic. All in all, I can't fault the place. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you want a Bath, choose room number 1. If you want a Shower, choose room number 2.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Having arrived in the area at short notice, the Rose and Crown was recommended to us by a local business owner whilst passing through the area. I must say from arriving to departing we were always given a warm welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

I stayed in room 1, which was really comfortable and has views over the landscape

All the staff were very friendly and we were made to feel very welcome throughout, nothing was any trouble, even down to printing a small document for me.

We had dinner there every evening (four) and the food was varied, well presented and plentiful.

My room was really bright and fresh, although this room didn't have a separate shower cubicle the bath was large, deep and relaxing.

I have stayed in many locations and varied accommodations, however, I must say this hidden gem is well up there with my favourites.

Thank you all for making my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here on a few occasions and have yet to be disappointed! A good selection on the menu, the food is hot,fresh and tasty and reasonably priced! The landlady is very welcoming, a lovely country pub that is well maintained!

Stayed December 2013