“Excellent food, fantastic atmosphere and in a superb location.”
Review of The Rose and Crown

The Rose and Crown
Ranked #19 of 55 Taunton B&B and Inns
“Excellent food, fantastic atmosphere and in a superb location.”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have had a number of evenning meals here and have now just enjoyed a lunch time sitting. Food is excellent, staff are very friendly and the restaurant is clean with a good atmosphere. Will be revisting many more times in the future!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked this hotel as somewhere away from the motorway in more relaxing surroundings on a return day trip from Devon. Having read the reviews and checked out the website I am pleased to say the staff, setting, accommodation and food did not let us down. Firstly I emailed the hotel / pub to check they were happy with a late book in. They responded quickly to my email and allowed a smooth booking. The morning of the stay my wife asked me to email them and ask if they could provide gluten free bread. I didn't expect them to work miracles and it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they hadn't. They went out of their way to provide the bread for my wife's breakfast the next morning. (Thank you). The pub / restaurant is modern, clean, yet rustic. The accommodation was excellent and clean. We stayed on a Saturday night and were not disturbed by any noise from the pub. The breakfast in the morning was freshly cooked to order and there was a great choice of cereal, croissants, and best of all several choices of a cooked breakfast providing excellent choice for most. We both had a mixed grill which tasted lovely and filled us up for the journey home, via the Clarks Village only 20 minutes or so away in Street.
Having never stayed in Somerset we look forward to returning to the area with our son and hopefully stay in the hotel again. If not we will certainly return for dinner in the evening.
Our stay cost £85 for one night which I feel was a reasonable price to pay. The only downside that didn't effect us as I have 3G on my mobile is the lack of Wi-Fi that some guests might need or want. That said this is a place you come to forget the world and enjoy yourself.
I would recommend this place to others and wish to thank the staff again. Many thanks, Gareth.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gareth J
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have now been here twice and have booked again for tonight, there are few restaurants in the taunton area worth going back to but this one definitely is! I have tried the lamb and the belly pork both delicious my partner has had the steak both times and assures me it's the best even beating a local steak house, lovely staff plenty of character , delightful food and brilliant all round!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MrRickyTaunton, Owner at The Rose and Crown, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We are proud of our family business and its great to get positive feedback.
somerset
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Got a voucher for Christmas and finally got round to using it. Well worth it, and cannot wait to go back again. Has good meal deals throughout the week, so worth checking their website before going to see what is on offer. Feta salad followed by lemon and pepper chicken was perfect for a sunny day and the puddings are worth saving a bit of room for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank issylonglegs
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Words cannot do justice to the accomodation and food yet again!
Room was superb as usual. I had the offer 2 course meal for £11.95. The steak and all the trimmings was excellent and I only just had enough room to cram in the profiteroles! Excellent value and quality.
Breakfast was superb and set me up for the day!!

Room Tip: Any of them!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank g-free-cook
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We where brought a voucher for a meal for two for christmas and decided to use it on the way down to plymouth....The food was fantastic, excellent choice and so tasty... well worth a visit. The service from the staff was brilliant, so friendly and the pub is so nice, with a cosy atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Rose and Crown on many occasions and I have never been dissapointed.
The accomodation is very clean and, although the bathrooms are on the small and 'quirky' side, all of the rooms are well equipped and the beds and pillows are excellent quality and ensure a great nights sleep!
Having read some of the reviews re the food I have to wonder what some people expect from a small country pub! Every time I have eaten here the quality and especially the quantity is absolutely outstanding. They have an extensive choice and every main course comes with a large dish of chips or potatoes and another dish with at least 3 other vegetables. The first time I ate here I made the fatal mistake of ordering a starter and a main course. When the main course arrived, chicken breast in a cream/stilton sauce, along with the previously mentioned vegetables, I realised there was no way I was ever going to finish it all!
Needless to say I have never made this mistake again and I have even told them that under no circumstances were they to let me order a starter ever again! In fact every time I stay and eat here I always miss lunch in readiness for my meal!!
The breakfast menu is just as appealing and the full english always sets me up for the day. All of the produce is locally sourced and you can really taste the difference.
A special mention also has to go to Sally/Leonie and all of the staff. I am always welcomed back like a member of the family and nothing is ever too much bother for them!
All in all excellent value and outstanding quality.
I just live in the hope that not too many people read this and I struggle to get in next time!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and I have my favourite one which I want to keep to myself!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business