“meal was amazing”

Ranked #17 of 56 Taunton B&B and Inns
Walsall, United Kingdom
“meal was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We where brought a voucher for a meal for two for christmas and decided to use it on the way down to plymouth....The food was fantastic, excellent choice and so tasty... well worth a visit. The service from the staff was brilliant, so friendly and the pub is so nice, with a cosy atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Rose and Crown on many occasions and I have never been dissapointed.
The accomodation is very clean and, although the bathrooms are on the small and 'quirky' side, all of the rooms are well equipped and the beds and pillows are excellent quality and ensure a great nights sleep!
Having read some of the reviews re the food I have to wonder what some people expect from a small country pub! Every time I have eaten here the quality and especially the quantity is absolutely outstanding. They have an extensive choice and every main course comes with a large dish of chips or potatoes and another dish with at least 3 other vegetables. The first time I ate here I made the fatal mistake of ordering a starter and a main course. When the main course arrived, chicken breast in a cream/stilton sauce, along with the previously mentioned vegetables, I realised there was no way I was ever going to finish it all!
Needless to say I have never made this mistake again and I have even told them that under no circumstances were they to let me order a starter ever again! In fact every time I stay and eat here I always miss lunch in readiness for my meal!!
The breakfast menu is just as appealing and the full english always sets me up for the day. All of the produce is locally sourced and you can really taste the difference.
A special mention also has to go to Sally/Leonie and all of the staff. I am always welcomed back like a member of the family and nothing is ever too much bother for them!
All in all excellent value and outstanding quality.
I just live in the hope that not too many people read this and I struggle to get in next time!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and I have my favourite one which I want to keep to myself!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently visited my family in the Uk recently and was taken to this great little place. My family know my delight for food and had hyped this place up. I was not disappointed on arrival. The Sunday roast was amazing! I ordered the 'decadence' which gives you Beef, Yorkshires and Pork with crackling with a huge array of veggies and potatoes! It was not to costly which was great as the meal was very large considering the price. Great local pub atmosphere and in a lovely quaint English pub setting. One of my favorite venues whilst in the Uk. Highly recommend and I will be sure to come on my next visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have visited this pub on many occasions over the last 40 years! The food is superb, very large portions, served on hot plates, all cooked as ordered, so there is a wait. The menu is extensive, at very reasonable prices.The staff are friendly and cheerful, there is a reasonable selection of local beers. Lunch on Thursday (4th October) was no exception. Highly reccomended, good location for a walk over the levels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Having booked a table for lunch on Jubilee Monday we were advised that things would be ' hectic'.We arrived to find the pub 'jumping',with a BBQ in full flood in the gardens ( AND the sun was shining!)We were shown to our table,drinks orders taken and swiftly served,the young local waitress was lovely and took our orders, the food was really good and the general ambience was top class.This was a most pleasant experience,and given the circumstances ( the Jubilee ) the management had very obviously made forward planning a priority because the service and food standards could not be faulted,we shall return! Did we have to park well up the lane from the pub?,yes we did.Was this LONG 20yd stroll an inconvenience?Certainly not,it was a pleasure!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank iaindinnes_123
Bridgwater
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

A small group of friends ate here recently at this authentic country pub quite some distance out of Stoke St Gregory village centre. The pub/hotel comes complete with deep covered well in the bar area and cows mooing in the adjoining field. Outside is a pleasant, partly covered eating area although we ate inside as it was an April evening.The Rose and Crown offers a good range of affordable food in a welcoming atmosphere with friendly, efficient staff. Unlike some places there was no problem in paying separately and the belly of pork was excellent! The portions are generous and our only slight criticism is that we would have preferred another green vegetable dish instead of two potato dishes. We intend to return in the summer to have another meal but alfresco!

Room Tip: Ratings are based on an evening meal rather than as a resident.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jill W
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We have eaten at the Rose and Crown on a number of occasions and the food has always been excellent. Staff are always attentive and friendly. We have also stayed here on two occasions the latest being in April 2012. The rooms have been clean on both occasions and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a choice of cereals, juices, pastries and cooked breakfasts. We will stay again without hesitation!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends