“Sworn at by staff in PJ's!”
Review of The Merry Monk

The Merry Monk
Ranked #38 of 257 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Somerset
“Sworn at by staff in PJ's!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Only came in to sit with a couple friends and have a quiet drink outside (bought from the pub!) A girl dressed in pj's?? who worked there came over, thinking she was coming to collect the empty glasses i awaited whilst smiling only to find she came over in a rather abrupt manner saying it's not a F***** park! before again walking off. We still had drinks on the table so i don't know what her problem was. Even as she had said it two of the people we were sat with had gone to get drinks. Won't be coming back here again! And if they care about getting any business they'll be sure to get polite staff!

• Visited July 2012

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Beef, Pork and Turkley platter worth a punt”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Been here twice on a Friday Lunch time. The first time on a beautiful sunny day and the beer garden is lovely. Ordered the Platter and it was beautiful, freshly cooked meat from the carvery, a delicious warm roll and full salad with onion relish, really tasty.
The second time last Friday was not as good meat was very dry. We were given pork crackling on the side though which was a nice touch.
The staff are all very young and are pretty quick although i did notice there does seem to be a bit of a long wait for the carvery after order.
The wine list looks very dated and had lines crossed through on the menu!! Recognised wine selection its the same as most of the pubs around the area.
Not sure i would rush back again like after the first visit.

• Visited August 2012
taunton somerset
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

As soon as we walked in here we felt very uncomfortable. We felt we had disturbed the waitresses as they just glared at me and my husband. We had to speak first and ware eventually shown to a table. We waited a while for food. I ordered our and side order of chips. However chips arrived 10 minutes after food. I heard one waitress say oh I forgot their chips. When I asked if they'd be long she said I will find out. But didn't come back ! We were nit offered another drink throughout our meal and the restaurant was empty. We were so disappointed.

“Overpriced!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Called in after work with my family! After waiting to be served at the bar for 10 minutes I finally got our drinks and food menu's, ordered our food at around 5.50, after waiting 35 mins which would be acceptable if it was busy but as it was quiet this seemed along wait! I ordered scampi which I shared with my 11 month old daughter and my partner ordered rump steak(medium rare) can't really complain about the scampi as its not hard to mess up with it being deep fried! Chips were cheap rubbish and the peas were so undercooked I couldn't touch them! As for my partners steak that he asked for medium rare!! It came out so well done you could almost call it cremated! When I approached the waiter(as there were no check backs) quietly not wanting to cause a fuss, he followed us to our table where he was so rude with his comment rather snappy....like we were complaining just to get a free lunch!! I was completely appaulled by his attitude and quite frankly wound not step foot in that place if I was paid to!! Never have I complained about a meal....I'm one for eating anything but this was beyond poor. Would not recommend!

somerset
“Not good”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Went for a carvery on a quiet Monday lunchtime, nobody at the bar when we walked in, eventually got served, no apologies for the wait from the man behind the bar, husbands coffee took 15 mins+ had to go to the bar to ask if we could go to the carvery, we were told no as they were busy!!!!! what a joke 15 people in the pub in total and no one at the carvery if we had not of paid we would have left, 20 mins later (35 in total) we were called to be served, the meat was overcooked, and dry, the potatoes hard and burnt, frozen yorkshire puds and horrible stuffing balls, the veg was quite fresh and hot - worth complaining - not really the staff were sullen and not welcolming at all - quite simply won't go back.

• Visited July 2012