“Excellent menu but opinionated staff”
Review of Tristans Bistro

Tristans Bistro
Ranked #18 of 258 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At Tristans Restaurant and Wine Bar is ran buy husband a wife partnership Ashley and Georgie. We have a monthly menu to keep things interesting and also keeping to seasonal produce.The restaurant itself has intimate tables for two as well as tables suitable for gatherings of friends up to 12 plus it has the benefit of the recently refurbished and redecorated Garden room making it a popular venue in Taunton for parties up to 26 for a wide range of events and celebrations.The addition of the bar and seating area at the front of the restaurant provides a relaxed wine bar feel and we now welcome diners and non diners to sit and relax with a glass of wine, pre-dinner aperitif or post dinner coffee.
Sheepieju
“Excellent menu but opinionated staff”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

As another reviewer has said, Tristans has a brilliant and varied menu and we did enjoy starters and mains. My sweet was delicious but that of my companion, said to be a torte, was rock hard. It was inedible and waitress knew we were unhappy yet argued the toss about it. Whatever happened to 'service' - with or without a smile? When it came to settling the account, we were discomfitted that both sweets remained and, when we remonstrated, another argument ensued. Eventually, the sweet was deleted but we felt unhappy that we had had to press the point. Altho' we've had many great meals here over the years, we'll take some persuading to return - a tad unfortunate but that's the way the cookie crumbles...

• Visited June 2014
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi Sheepy,

Firstly thankyou for your kind words around our food, we are delighted you enjoyed the meal so much.

Obviously we are disappointed by your perception of our team member- I have chatted this through with her today and she does in hindsight agree she could have handled things better and she asks me to apologize for the way you have interpreted her comments- she was trying to inform you that the frozen Iced butterscotch torte is served almost straight from the freezer and as the name suggests is a frozen dish. She agrees she could have handled it better but I must stress that she did offer alternative dessert options or a free coffees to enjoy whilst you waited for the Iced Torte to soften slightly.
I guess we all have off nights and maybe last night her smile wore thin which is really unusual as other reviewers have often commented how bubbly and helpful our team is.

As I say she ,and I, appologises if we failed on this occasion

Really hope to see you back soon to see if we can repair the crumbled cookie

Best wishes Cris

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Buzzing atmosphere for all ages and amazing food!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Me and a group of friends booked in At Tristans on Friday 30th May for a 19th birthday meal. We usually goto the typical chains but decided to go somewhere different within budget.

We were greeted by Georgie and Sophie and offered a cocktail at the bar! Usually we stick to the Rose but the new cocktails looked amazing! We chilled by the bar whilst we drank our cocktails and the made our way through to the table.The range of food was wide and clearly focused on quality and local produce. The vegetarian in the group was very surprised to see not only one well thought meal but two. Most of the restaurants just have baked pasta.

We all had different meals, I had the duck from the specials board which was amazing with the raspberry sauce (sounds wierd) but amazing.

Whilst we had a wide range of food and as already said normally stick to the rose, we asked Sophie to recommend a wine. We had a bottle (or two) of the Rose and the Muscade (think thats how it was spelt) which was really nice!

We were very impressed that the menu changes every month and even more surprised that we all had two courses for £20!!

The food was brilliant, service was relaxed and attentive.

I'd highly recommend At Tristans to anyone and do give it try other than going to one of the usual chains in town.

this is our new favourite place and have booked backed in next month!!!

p.s! oh and to top it all off Tristans magic'd a birthday cake for our friend with no charge!!

2 Thank KKofToytown
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear KK
wow what a comprehensive review- thank you very much, its especially pleasing that we seem to be attracting and appealing to people of all age groups.
Hope to see you and your friends back at Tristan's soon

Cris
“Go try you wont be disapointed”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I would just like to say what a wonderful experience we recently had at your restaurant, the service was fantastic nothing was too much trouble for your staff. They are a credit to you and thereselves. My only critism is the menu had so many nice dishes and I could only try one. So back to Tristans for numerous more visits methinks. I ordered the T Bone as a main this was cooked to perfection with a lovely accompaning salad and the largest onion rings and chips I have ever seen. I will finish by summarising and just say my visit was simply perfect.

LS

• Visited May 2014
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Lee

Thankyou very much for the review, we always appreciate it when people take the time out to go on Tripadvisor to comment on our restaurant- Good or not so good !
In this case yours is clearly a great review so thankyou very much once again- I agree the T-Bone is a great choice for the meat eaters among us with healthy appetites, by the sounds of it you certainly fell into that category

Looking forward to seeing you back again @Tristans soon

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Great food - would highly recommend!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Went for a lovely meal last week with my boyfriend, food was faultless, service was great! Brilliant value for money and would highly recommend to all.

Dear Stanley
Thanks so much for reviewing us we appreciate all feedback good and bad- yours is great which is even better!

Thankyou so very much and we hope to see you and you partner back at Tristans soon

somerset
“Great service but not great food”
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Are here 21 May for my fathers birthday. First impressions were a smell of bleach and damp! Very nice friendly staff and service was good and attentive. BUT food really was not good. £16 for two courses starter and main only could not choose main and pudding. But they did produce a small complimentary cake for my father which was probably the best thing we ate. Very disappointing as reviews had been good.

Visited May 2014
TristansTaunton, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Hi Goddess
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor- all feedback is appreciated.
I do have to say however that we are becoming increasingly frustrated with people complaining on forums like this who do not complain or comment whilst dining with us, we are happy you found us friendly and attentive and I would add we also very approachable- had you raised any issues with us on the night we would have worked our socks off to address them and ensure we made you fathers celebration meal a happier event for you.

I am not sure why you wrote that you couldn't have desert - we can always swap options around to suit every persons palate, we don't recall you asking for this.

We do have a damp problem in one of the toilets from a neighbouring party wall and that loo can smell a bit musty- however the restaurant doesn't smell of bleach ( although it is very clean) or damp but I guess when a smell gets up your nose it can be hard to clear it?

As you can tell I am a little offended by your review HOWEVER to end on a positive note we are very happy you found us friendly and that you enjoyed the complimentary birthday cake my staff went out to buy for your party when we realised you hadn't bought one in for your fathers special evening,

Hope you will give us another chance in the future to see if we have improved the aroma