“Very disappointing”

Ranked #17 of 257 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: At Tristans Restaurant and Wine Bar is ran buy husband a wife partnership Ashley and Georgie. We have a monthly menu to keep things interesting and also keeping to seasonal produce.The restaurant itself has intimate tables for two as well as tables suitable for gatherings of friends up to 12 plus it has the benefit of the recently refurbished and redecorated Garden room making it a popular venue in Taunton for parties up to 26 for a wide range of events and celebrations.The addition of the bar and seating area at the front of the restaurant provides a relaxed wine bar feel and we now welcome diners and non diners to sit and relax with a glass of wine, pre-dinner aperitif or post dinner coffee.
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I got recommended to go to jennys by some one , so I thought I would surprise my wife , I have been to alot of restaurants but never came arcross such dull food for instance like our starters Italian selection which consisted of runny hommus bland salami which look shop bought , then we thought we would give the main a chance and if things couldn't get any worse! The steak came!the steak was average!but what came with it was even worse a cut tomato with raw broccoli stuck in it with a bit of melted cheese ?chips were thick and stacked up which tasted like oil , then my wifes dish was like a mircowave beef in red wine sauce which looked out of a tin , then the same sauce my wife had on her dish was poured on my steak which was odd as it didnt state that,we hardly ate it ,paid ,left will never return , its the worst restaurant we have ever been too

2 Thank carlos8484

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Good food and excellent value”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A very welcoming and relaxed staff, interesting but unpretentious food very well cooked in sensible portions and excellent value for a two course evening meal. Nice wines and very attentive waitress - and the prices mean you do not have to keep it for a special occasion. We will certainly be back

• Visited February 2013
Somerset UK
“Well worth a further visit.”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Another evening visit.
Everything in order.

Just some photos of our food.

Understand this restaurant has changed ownership in last two weeks and is to be known as At Tristans

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank TriflingCircle
Somerset
“Wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you are looking for somewhere to go that is small, intimate and excellent food then this is the place look no further. We went on thursday 31st Jan 2013. We were greeted warmly. The staff are friendly and cannot do enough for you. The food is superb. Nothing is too much trouble for them. The choice of food and wine is amazing. something to suit all tastes. My advice is to book before hand as was busy. Please please please give this place a go once you have been there you wont want to go anywhere else.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank spike13Somerset
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We've visited this restaurant a number of times in the past, but our latest visit left us feeling slightly let down.
The atmosphere was flat and unwelcoming - this was mainly due to the lack of heat. I almost had to ask for my coat back, but didn't fancy trying to eat all trussed up. The lights were much brighter than on previous visits, which made it all feel a bit stark and lacking in any character.
Service was almost too good, we were pestered to give our order and although we didn't arrive until 8.45 we'd finished our 3 courses by 9.45, which meant that our birthday celebration evening all ended a bit too prematurely.
The food was good, so we had nothing to technically complain about, but it just goes to show that sometimes a good restaurant cannot be judged on its food alone.
Also, the music choice was truly awful. It was very dated and cringeworthy to say the least; I would say that even the most elderly diner would have struggled to pick out a recognisable tune. They'd obviously bought a job-lot of 'sounds from the 50s and 60s' CDs, slapped them on and hoped for the best.
I know that Jenny has now sold up, but that's no reason for this lovely little bistro to suddenly become like an old people's lounge, but sadly, I'm not sure I'll be rushing back any time soon... What a shame.

1 Thank AnnieChes
rhys1984, Owner at Tristans Bistro, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Hi AnnieChes,

Many Thanks for rating Jenny @ Tristan's (now @Tristan's).

Firstly, thankyou for your constructive feed back.

We have addressed the issues you have outlined and I am pleased to feedback.

The heating has been rectified by having the boiler serviced and kept on all day. In addition one of the skylights had been damaged during some recent refurbishment.

Lighting is now set a lot lower and different bulbs have been installed.

With regards to the quick service, this has also been addressed with our front of house team.

Music? I couldn't agree more, the CD's left in the CD player were a little strange to say the least. We now have a nice selection of background music.

Please be assured, we still have the same great chef cooking awesome food and our intention is to keep the same great atmosphere its always had.

Please do give me a call in the restaurant where I would be really pleased to tell you about the improvement program which has impressed our regulars.

Best Wishes