“Interesting menu & well-cooked food” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Willow Tree
Ranked #2 of 252 Restaurants in Taunton
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Interesting menu & well-cooked food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Lots of interesting choices on the menu. Could have spent a week here working my way through it ! Starter of scallops & ham with pine nut salsa was well executed with lovely flavours and textures. Main was belly pork, which I really enjoy when well cooked, which it was. Excellent crackling. Both the starter and main were interesting, well-thought-out dishes, well executed. Thoroughly enjoyable. If I was going to be super critical, I would say that the pea puree could have had more flavour, but it's a minor point. Puds appeared to be more conventional. My chocolate dish was ok, but nothing special. More inovation on the pudding front would have raised my score to 5*, but overall it was a very enjoyable meal.

• Visited December 2012

Basford Green
“A Jewel In The Crown!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

My partner and I together with two guest enjoyed a birthday celebratory meal recently at The Willow Tree.

From making the reservation to leaving the restaurant the service was faultless.

On arrival a warm welcome was afforded by Rita the proprietor and it was obviously instantly that the ambience was warm, relaxed and smart!

The menu was interesting, varied and so reasonably priced for three courses. The Cheese Souffle starter is a must! every dish served was beautifully presented and tasted delicious.The cuisine certainly equated to some of the best restaurants in London.

The staff were efficient, unobtrusive and very knowledgable regarding the food they were serving. We will certainly be returning and will not hesitate in recommending The Willow Tree for an exceptional culinary experience, so very enjoyable.

Thank you! Congratulations! you have it soooo right!

Paul and David.

• Visited December 2012
Taunton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Great little find"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited The Willow Tree recently (Whittingham) and thought that the restaurant, service and ambience was perfect. I normally opt for "safe" dishes i.e. ones that I normally go for but thought I would choose something different so opted for the Cheese Souffle and Loin of Lamb. It really was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. The presentation of the food was exceptional. The only critism I would share is "Why haven't I found this restaurant sooner"!!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank KarenLeeEdwards
Somerset
“Delicious food, fantastic price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We recently had a family meal at the Willow Tree and the food really is fabulous and such a reasonable price, for 3 courses of creative well thought out dishes that taste divine. I could not fault anything I ate and the service is good too.

So why isn't the Willow Tree the best restaurant in town, with such great food and reasonable prices. I think it all comes down to ambience, somehow it always feels a little too quiet and formal and doesn't have the "buzz" and atmosphere of others in the same bracket in town.

However, that said, I still thoroughly recommend this restaurant to any foodies, you won't regret going and we shall certainly return.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrsP-Somerset
Taunton UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“spoiled for choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

My fourth visit confirms my initial view that this is a very reliable, professionally run restaurant. It offers a warm welcome (it would be good to see coat hangers used for coats without hooks), and attentive service in relaxing surroundings. No loud music or large tables full of noisy diners. Top quality locally sourced ingredients are creatively prepared and presented. Unpretentious cuisine at its best. My only real concern is the difficulty in choosing only one starter, main and dessert - as (unusually) most dishes are tempting, and you have to leave these for another occasion!

• Visited November 2012