“Excellent night out”

The Cow Shed
Ranked #4 of 432 Restaurants in Wakefield
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cow Shed focuses on serving local seasonal produce, cooked with a modern English style – presented to you in our cosey and intimate dining room by a professional team of attentive waiting staff, and accompanied by a wide selection of wines.
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Dined at Cowshed for the first time last weekend. It was a Saturday night and the restaurant was very busy, every table was full! I hoped this was a good sign, and I wasn't disappointed!

Had booked the table well in advance for eight for four of us, and was surprised to be shown to the table straight away on arrival. Too often have I booked a table at other restaurants and still had to wait fifteen minutes to sit down. No such problem at Cowshed!

The waiting staff were very attentive and very pleasant. We didn't really know they were there but everything was cleared promptly, drinks were delivered quickly and we were never waiting for anything, which is the sign of slick service contributing to a well run restaurant and a great customer experience.

The wine list was well assembled, with a good variety and a good range of prices - something for everyone. The food menu was just the right size, with an exciting specials board to complement the main a la carte. I opted for the fillet medallions with dauphinoise potatoes, and it was mouth-watering! My friends also thoroughly enjoyed their meals, one of whom is a vegetarian and who was initially anxious about going to what we thought was a steak house. She had a risotto which she said was full of flavour.

All in all this was a great night out, the food was excellent, the atmosphere was lovely for a social evening out with friends and there was a variety of different types of diners in the restaurant which shows its appeal.

I've booked in next week mid-week to try the early bird menu which looks like it will be great value for money! I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

2  Thank rioja83

Reviewed September 12, 2012

visited this restaurant on tripadvisor recommendations, this was myself and my wifes first night out for over a year and wish we had gone elsewhere. Had crayfish starter, very briney, two steaks were ok (fillet) but for the money would have expected better, fries were a joke, even average places in Leeds kick this! Bit of a wannabe seen in place but just doesn't reach the mark, back to dining further afield me thinks.

3  Thank alexander g
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I lunched here on Tuesday, September 4th, after glowing recommendations from family and friends, and my first imressions were quite positive; I was sat straight away (not to my suprise, as it was a lunchtime on a Tuesday), and the interior is rather quaint. Unfortunately, that is where my positive comments end.

Me and my brother were given restricted menu's to mull over, but these were backed up by the specials board atop the scruffy open kitchen, housing three leaning, black clad chefs.
After asking for a few more minutes to decide what we were to eat, we were asked 30 seconds after by a different member of staff, and then another 30 seconds later by a 3rd member of staff.
After taking our order of Chargrilled Rump Steak, cooked rare and Smoked Pancetta and Garden Pea Penne, we were finally granted some peace, until I finished my drink and literally, as soon as the bottom of my glass touched the table, the youngest waitress bolted over to ask if I would like another, to which I declined.

During our wait for our main courses my brother and I were "serenaded" by the older waitress as she stood in front of the kitchen and sang along to one of the songs playing over the stereo. This was the only time any of the rather miserly front-of-house team cracked a smile.

After half an hour, we recieved our meals. A rather poor effort, to say there was three chefs in the kitchen and only 4 tables in the restaurant.
My brother thought his pasta was 'alright', but could not finish his meal. Perhaps they substitute quality for quantity?
My rump steak came medium-rare, rather than the requested rare. No real matter. My issue lies with the rest of the meal. The chips that accompanied the dish were not homemade, but resembled McCain's Home Fries and slightly undercooked. The side salad drizzled in balsamic vinegar was unwashed and left grit in my teeth, grinding for the rest of my meal. The peppercorn sauce lacked seasoning and was ultimately flavourless.

After finishing my meal, I was planning on sharing a dessert, but decided against it.
I then proceeded to pay the bill and leave the restaurant.

To summarise, I was disappointed all round with the standard of both front and back-of-house members of staff, and taken aback, really, as I was expecting great things. I'm not totally sure I want to give it another go, to try and redeem itself. Only time will tell...

7  Thank Will C
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We've been going for years and it's always been top quality. Can't think of anything bad to say. Try the crayfish salad as a starter. Great on steaks but it's all good. Over the years we've had parties of 2, 6 and 16 and never seen a drop in quality of food or service.

1  Thank allenfromyorkshire
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Cow Shed is a small but intimate restaurant. It is a bit pricey but it is well worth your money. The staff are polite. The food is cooked to your liking and is perfect.

1  Thank Lambybanny