Newmillerdam Country Park
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Wakefield
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Lost count of how many times I have been here with friends or family. A lovely place whatever the weather. A Nice chance to blow away the cobwebs whether it's feeding the ducks or bike riding with the children or a nice stroll with the other half. Parking at both entrances and two nice pubs located at either side of the Dam.

All reviews
"bird life"
in 9 reviews
"lovely family"

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Recently I decided to keep fit and lose weight. "Join a Gym I was told, that's the way to go.." I chose not to and I am really glad I did. if I had not decided to travel instead to New Miller Dam Country I would never have been blessed with the fantastic views and wonderful fresh air that can only be found out side of the City walls. The country park is set in a beautiful and wonderfully picturesque setting just outside of Wakefield in West Yorkshire on the road to Barnsley. Its wonderfully vast expanse is sandwiched between two pubs, The Dam Inn which is a Carvery and the The Fox and Hounds which also has many admirers to it's kitchen membership. Both are good places to eat. The park has its own council run car park which is actually pretty huge, The fee is wavered after 18.00pm (free if you walk there), there is also an ice cream van outside the gates of the park and one at the other end in the car park, they both have their own spaces and so I guess they are available most of the time. The Park is absolutely a garden of Eden in summer with every kind of wildlife known to man resident on and around its waters. The park gets very busy at weekends and so I chose to do my walking on weekdays trying several different times. Early Morning there are dog walkers and cyclists alike, (there is a cyclist track that goes around the top of the park to keep them seperate from the walkers. All the way up to 16.00pm there are quite a few people who use the park but I never found it unbearably crowded. The council and "Friends of the Park" are doing a sterling job with its development, they have added a picnic area and specially cut trees in the shape of soldiers etc to keep the children amused. Its a couple of miles in circumferance and I walk four laps of it usually, its such a pleasent place be, surrounded by wonderful wildlife. There are walking tracks that go all the way to the village of Notton if you wanted to walk farther afield. Its a great place for a family picnic too and if you have a dog well then it will be sheer bliss for your four legged friend. I do frequent another Country Park as well Pugneys, but I will review that one another day. Newmiller Dam has also public toilets just outside of the gates of the park near to the Dam Carvery.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

it is a lovely place to walk with friends and family, to walk the dogs and enjoy every step of this beautiful view. we usually go for a walk on Sunday afternoons after a visit to carvery which helps to burn a little bit of that excess calories !

1  Thank anna h
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I must admit I don't go very often to Newmillerdam, sometimes that is typical of a place that is on your doorstep, however on the times I have visited I have always had a pleasurable walk. Parking has to be paid for, although it is possible to drive past the car park and continue up Barnsley Road, where there is off the road parking, although it is quite a walk to the Dam from there. There are nearby pubs/restaurants, all good quality ones and usually the ice cream van isn't far away!! One side of the Dam can be quite muddy as the sun doesn't reach that part very often, so if it is a wettish day, I would definitely wear sturdy shoes or walking boots.