“Exellent Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iris

Iris
Ranked #7 of 403 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Exellent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went for the first time on Saturday for my birthday and was extremely impressed. The starters were brilliant, the mains were brilliant and the desserts were brilliant. I had a steak which was amazing and in fact all the meal was tasty, fresh and very well presented We ate upstairs which was clean and relaxing. The staff were very friendly but I feel that some of the service could be 'fine tuned' just to make everything perfect. I have already told lots of people that they must give it a try

• Visited August 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent, and such good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went midweek for my wife's birthday, it was good to see the place was just about full. We live in Wakefield and had been meaning to go since we saw Iris was open but this was our first visit. Everything was very good indeed. Friendly, attentive but not overbearing service. A short wine list but containing one of my wife's absolute favourites so a hit, and very reasonable prices. As for the food, it was among the best meals we've had out for a very long time indeed - at just under £20 a head for three courses we weren't expecting it be out of this world but it really was excellent. Fantastic value. We understand the menu changes every two to three weeks, and will be looking to go back in the near future. Long may Iris continue to thrive.

Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant steak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Went as a group of 6, 2 adults 2 young adults 2 pre-teens for my 19th birthday. After the meal my mum told me she had emailed the restaurant and told them it was my birthday, they didn't reply.

Starters were faultless, my parfait was smooth, tasty and made sweet by the Waldorf salad. Everyone else was impressed with theirs.

Mains were exceptional. The 4 steaks, rare, medium rare and medium, were cooked to perfection and were the most tender pieces of meat! I had the béarnaise sauce, delicious but not needed, the steak by itself was so meaty and delicately flavoured.

Desserts were great. I don't think the cheesecake was a baked cheesecake, so it was a little too soft and wasn't quite the right texture, the rhubarb in the Eton mess was over-sweetened, and any I didn't taste any rhubarb 'kick'. However, the vanilla pannacota was astounding and the banana thing was EXCEPTIONAL. the above critiques about deserts are so, so picky. All desserts were delicious and perfectly edible, and most people would love them, I'm just picky with cheesecake and couldn't taste rhubarb!

Some additional notes, cocktails weren't available even though they were on the website menu, which was so disappointing! Wakefield needs somewhere that does good cocktails.... But the waitress kindly sorted us out with whatever cocktails she could make that night and they were all satisfying, should deffo be on the menu!

The menu on the website isn't the actual menu, which was a bit of an annoyance for my boyfriend who didn't fancy any staters on the night.
House merlot was lovely
Cheese bread was amaaaazing
I will certainly be returning soon, for some fine food before I disappear to Leeds fest and go back to student food in September! :)

2 Thank Elizabeth A
West Yorkshire
“A nice finish to my wife's birthday week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hi fellow Trip Advisors,

Went here for a special meal for my wife's birthday and we were very happy with our choice.

We were welcomed very nicely and shown to our table. We were then asked what we wanted to drink and I asked about the cocktails (which are shown on the website menu) but I was told that cocktails weren't available which disappointed us a little.

Now, on to the food. Starters: I had Confit Pulled Pork and my wife had Smoked Haddock Scotch Egg. The Pork dish was out of this world and the Egg wasn't far behind it.

For mains I had Sea Bream on a bed of Chorizo and Tomato Risotto. Wifey had Rump Steak with Braised Oxtail. The fish was perfectly cooked and the risotto was creamy and lush. Only niggle(very slight) was that there was too much risotto. The Rump steak/Oxtail combo was perfect and oh so tasty (reminding me that I have some Oxtail in my freezer). I've cooked Oxtail before so I knew it was tasty and the chefs at Iris did a fine job.

Desserts were Rhubarb Eton Mess for me and Cherry Panna Cotta. The Panna Cotta dish was gorgeous but I was a little disappointed with the Eton Mess. When it arrived the meringue parts were on the top and not mixed in with the cream which I found a little confusing seeing as though every time I have had Eton Mess (and made it myself) the meringue has always been mixed in to the cream/fruit mix. My Eton Mess was just unbalanced and it took till the last few spoonfuls to get a good taste of Rhubarb. I do love my desserts and this 'unmessed' mess made me a little sad.

I then ordered a glass of vino for the birthday girl. a Coffee and Brandy for yours truly. The booze arrived and I was shocked to receive my brandy in Whisky tumbler(sacrilege!). That just spoilt the enjoyment of the brandy. I was also Coffee-less at this point because the waiter forgot (he apologised profusely for his forgetfulness) which wasn't a major issue.

The ambiance of Iris is perfect. Very airy and nicely lit. The service was perfect (Brandy and Coffee moment aside) and we won't hesitate in visiting again.

The night finished nicely when the waiter offered to book us a taxi which arrived very promptly.

Thank you Iris....we'll be back.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
1,137 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,796 helpful votes
“Rolls Royce food at Skoda prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Visited this lovely restaurant on a busy Saturday night & the place was full. Warm welcome & friendly, professional service. Menu small but perfectly formed & some interesting wines on the wine list. Three courses for £19.95 is incredible value, especially when you see the quality of the food.
Had the Smoked haddock scotch egg to start & an Asian influence pork belly dish for my main & a fantastic chocolate dessert to finish.
A few service glitches, like plates not being taken away in a timely manner & pouring my own wine, but £ for £, this is a great restaurant & stunningly good value. I eat out regularly as you can see from my reviews & this place is right up there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles