“Excellent and divine on all counts!”
Review of Iris

Iris
Ranked #7 of 409 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent and divine on all counts!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My partner and I have just come back from my birthday meal at Iris. This is the fourth time we have been and we are already planning our 5th and 6th visits during August. The meal was truly excellent. At the end of our meal we had to go and find the Maitre d' (who is the owners partner) to give her our thanks and congratulations and tell her how wonderful our meal was. We had a huge helping of olives and warm home made bread to start. Then I had a wonderfully green and sweet pea soup and my partner had pressed pork as a starter which looked fabulous and he said was delicious. For main I had the vegetable pot with herb dumblings (cant remember what it was called) but had vegetables in a light mustard sauce with light herbed dumplings and a poached ducks egg. My partner had the Allums rump steak which was served with new potatoes was cooked to perfection. Our deserts were Panna cotta with cherries served in a Kilner jar with hot freshly cooked cherry filled donuts which was absolutely sublime and a chocolate cylinder with chocolate mouse and banana bread, again another wonderful desert. Cannot fault the food or the service in any way. All this and wine for £50 for the two of us on a Saturday night! Amazing!! Can't wait to go back again.

3 Thank Stephen B

Leeds, United Kingdom
“The best for miles.....”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came here for a birthday meal and it was simply delicious, we will be coming here again. Smoked Haddock Scotch Egg as a starter is gorgeous and the Pork Belly as a main highly recommended, if you want to really spoil yourself might I recommend the Strawberry and Elderflower Cheesecake and the Eton Mess. If I was going to be picky I'd say the service in taking away the plates after each course could have been a little quicker - but that's being picky. Overall a fantastic experience from what is clearly a very talented young chef, other businesses in Wakefield should try to follow suit, nothing compares for miles around.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Ryan M
Leeds
“Absolutely delicious”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Iris had a really good write up in the local paper and it lived up to the blab. Would totally recommend this restaurant.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An excellent meal”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Having eaten at a number of quality restaurants in the Wakefield area of late, I feel well placed to suggest that Iris is amongst the best. The food was truly excellent, the service was attentive but did not feel rushed and the decor and ambience were pleasant. For starter I had the chicken terrine with yorkshire puddings and onion marmalade. This was a generous helping and very tasty too. This was followed by the Pork fillet and shoulder with spicy carrots and pumpkin seeds. This was quite simply one of the best main courses I have ever had. The pork (from a local butcher) was cooked to perfection and the carrots and pumpkin seeds provided a nice balance of texture and flavours. For dessert I had the cheesecake which was also excellent. The wine we ordered was the Garnacha and this was a fine choice, served at the correct temperature. My parents ordered different dishes and were also very impressed with their selections (however the pork did seem to be the best of the main course dishes). I felt that Iris delivered in terms of quality but also in terms of value for money. We paid £19.95 for 3 courses and I would be surprised if it were possible to eat anywhere else locally for less and still get this standard of food. I will definitely be returning in the near future.

1 Thank Dominic S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A truly amazing dining experience”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I took my girlfriend for her birthday to iris for the first time, based on the reviews on trip advisor . I cannot do justice to the night we had adequately in words. We had three courses of utterly fantastic food, cooked with real passion and flare . The decor was modern and clean, the service impeccable and genuinely warm and welcoming. I would have gladly paid more than 19.95 each for the experience, and am relishing our return to sample some more of the brilliance that is Iris. Thank you wholeheartedly for the evening.

1 Thank DarrenG66