“The best meal I've ever had in a Wakefield restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Iris

Iris
Ranked #7 of 403 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wakefield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best meal I've ever had in a Wakefield restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'd heard really good things about this restaurant, so decided to try it for a meal with my husband. Even before I got here I had a good impression as the staff had been so helpful and friendly with my email booking and I was already impressed with the customer service.
As it was the night after valentines day the restaurant wasn't too busy, but there was a lovely chilled out atmosphere. The decor is very simple with good lighting... Calm. The staff there are lovely, all quite young, but so friendly, and overall the service was unfaultable.
The menu is very simple, with few choices but I could have eaten any one of them (which is unusual). I had the scotch egg. Which was a soft egg surrounded by smoked haddock and breadcrumbs, which came with leeks and bacon in a creamy sauce. It was divine, really light and tasted amazing. My husband had a goats cheese, fennel and beet root salad, which was also very nice. For mains I had slow cooked beef with horseradish mash and broccoli which was just so tender and tasty. Better than a steak really. My husband had lemon sole with olive mash which was delicious. What was so nice about the food was that it wasn't made up of a million ingredients or really strong sauces, there were just really good fresh ingredients, and you could taste every one. In fact this seemed to be what the food was really all about... Taste. When you eat there you realise just how little you actually enjoy the taste of foods, as some are just overwhelmed by one ingredient. The chef here is very talented and his locally sourced produce really is excellent. (And its great to know where food comes from nowadays). Next to the pudding. Again relatively simple, but very cleverly put together. I had Chocolate millionaires shortbread.... A chocolate tube filled. With delicious chocolate filling, sitting on crumbled shortbread and mandarin sauce dots. It tasted amazing, and was so clever, but again the flavours were so good together, and yet so simple. My husband had poached pear with Yorkshire parkin, and enjoyed that too.
The meal wasn't too expensive either, costing about £55 for three courses each with wine, and a soft drink.
We enjoyed the food, ambiance and whole experience so much we have booked to go back with a group of friends in March. I really recommend you try Iris, it's lovely to have a restaurant like this in Wakefield, with such a talented chef, and eye for customer service.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lucy R R

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely fantastic way to finish off our valentines evening :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend ate at the Iris on the February 14th. Iv never eaten fine dining because I'm too picky with my food. But these meals were amazing. Starters were fantastic and very prompt. Meals followed within perfect timing same woth the desserts. My boyfriend said the beef was fantastic i had the Chicken which was nice and moist and the desserts were amazing. Defiantly compliments to the chefs. We also tired a little of each others meals and very pleased :) We thought it was very good value for money especially because the quality of food was top notch. We WILL be coming again. Very soon and bringing a few friends. Thank you very much. :) The owner should be very proud.

1 Thank Kasiboo
“Unreal food, still hungry tho.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The place was a lovely place food was very very nice an the staff were very good. Only problem was the size of the meals i ave a three year old child that would not be filled by them need to get more on your plate for your money other wise very good

“Oustanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have dined here on more than one occasion, the food and seevice is always spot on! The value is excellent and the menu has changed every time we have been in, hope iris keeps up the great standards. Theyre onto a winner! Well done

1 Thank JayneThornton
“Generally good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant on Saturday. Food was delicious but could have done with a bit more. Had the 3 courses at£17.95 which was good value. Wine reasonably priced, staff very helpful. Felt a bit rushed between courses, think could have been a bit more relaxed as ate later in the evening. Only one critiscism need to sort the background music sat on the table near the music centre placed on the floor, wasn't too bad until the waiter increased the volume fortunately the waitress came over and turned it back down! Overall very good and will return.

1 Thank Gazsu