“More than decent hotel in beautiful surrounds”

Premier Inn Wakefield Central Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Bedford, United Kingdom
“More than decent hotel in beautiful surrounds”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had not planned to stay at this hotel. A trip to Wakefield had not panned out how I had envisioned, and I found myself parked on a side-street off Denby Dale Road at almost 22.00 thoroughly exhausted and miserable. It was either find somewhere to sleep for the night or a 2.5 hour drive home in the dark of night. I spotted this hotel and opted for the former.

The woman at reception when I staggered in was very sympathetic and friendly in that Yorkshire way that people from the south of England like me find so refreshing in contrast to what we get at home. The room was decent for what I had paid, very clean. A minor quibble about a tea stain on the carpet by where the kettle was, but hardly a deal-breaker. I was too tired to try out the pub attached to the hotel.

Leaving in the morning, the daylight revealed the beauty of the surrounding Thornes Park. Wakefield has some very pretty parts if one cares to investigate a bit. Sadly my timetable meant I had to leave without sampling them.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
South Shields
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visiting family with my wife and 2 children we had a family room 8. The room was fresh and wonderfully clean. The hotel is situated in the beautiful surroundings of Thornes Park.
The staff were very friendly and all of us had a great nights sleep.

Breakfast was served at the adjoining Eating Inn restaurant\bar.

Room Tip: Be careful on a weekend and check if they have any functions on as there maybe noise from those.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Decent hotel if you're in Wakefield for a couple of nights and are looking for a good night's sleep in a functional hotel room. Excellent value for money, but would not recommend having a dinner in the attached restaurant (the food was not very tasty).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LanaH_London
merseyside
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights here when attending a wedding locally. The reception were helpful and the room was clean and tidy. Great pressure in the bathroom shower, and loads of hangers in the wardrobe. We didn't eat at the restaurant attached to the hotel, but was told is was very nice but a bit pricy. We did try the bar and again pricy. Eating out or more economical.

Breakfast is we're I think it lets its self down. There is loads to choose from, cereal, juices, toast etc. and the full English you can order as much as you want, the down side it's not hot. Picky I know but my partners had to send hers back it was that cold.

All in all a place I would recommend, but hope you get hotter breakfast than we did each morning.

Dave

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MrTwonky
Durham
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I visited the Premier Inn as part of a school party visiting the Mining Museum and Sculpture Park. We had 29 children in the party aged 7-11 years and 9 adults (three parents and others were my teaching staff). The communication with the hotel prior to the visit was exceptional. They made sure all our needs were met and the children were safely placed in rooms either with their parents or in a corridor surrounded by staff rooms.
The hotel is attached to a fabulous old building with superb facilities and set in a lovely parkland (Thorpe Park).
The restaurant was out of this world. The menu for children and adults was exceptionally good. The staff were attentive and so efficient. The evening meal was perhaps eclipsed by the breakfast-again fantastic staff and so efficent in taking orders (from 29 children!!).
I cannot praise this hotel enough and intend to go back with my own family when I take them to visit the Mining Museum and the Sculpture Park.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms for preference but all are brilliant
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We expected a stay in an ordinary Premier Inn. This was more like staying in a three-star hotel. We had an excellent room. The restaurant was as good as anything we've experienced in a long time. As vegetarians, we had a good choice from the menu. The food itself was first-class. All of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Nothing seemed to be too much effort.

We were in the area to visit the National Mining Museum and Yorkshire Sculpture Park (2 memorable experiences), and this Premier Inn simply added to the experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed one night for a wedding. The room was very clean and the interior was modern. Staff were friendly and polite at the reception. The bed was comfy and the room warm. The breakfast was also good with a choice of cereals and a full English. This was at an extra cost but worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family