“Another excellent meal, as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shabana

Shabana
Ranked #71 of 403 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Another excellent meal, as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We are regulars and have just enjoyed another lovely meal here. I find it slightly amusing that the last reviewer complained about a misprint and then went on to moan about the desert-i imagine it might have been a bit dry and sandy-perhaps he should choose a dessert next time? I can't comment on the gents toilets but have never had any problems with the ladies! Zitu is a true professional who knows his stuff and his attention to detail and customer service is second to none. A more hard-working, polite, dedicated man would be hard to find. Give it a try-you won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank funnybird69

“Good food. Excellent service. New menu is misleading. Toilet: very poor standards.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Only been here 3 or 4 times in my 40 years in Sandal and I guess Shabana has been trading for maybe 17 -20 of those years?

The service is always excellent, and the food is always ok or good. We popped in for a bite to eat last night and found the place to be quiet (3 tables at about 8:45 became 2, and then became just us) and the food was hot and very tasty.

The service was absolutely spot on, except for one thing regarding the menu which I'll come back to. I guess service should be great when there are more staff/managers than diners, but it was just right. Attentive, not rushed.

The place advertises their 5 star hygiene rating, which is an accolade and not easy to achieve. Everything is spotless in the restaurant, from cutlery to plates, glassware, and clean menus. I'm not a fan of fake flowers on tables or thin paper napkins, but they do the job!

I notice another reviewer comments that the menu is new. Well the first page still proudly shows of a 1996 restaurant review article from a paper. It's good, but if it were my place I would go for something more recent and get something done about that.

Food quality was good. Crisp fresh warm popadum and good chutneys and yogurt dip. The meal had the right mix of spices, and the flavours were good in the starters, the main dish, the pilau rice and the fresh and hot plain naan. The J2O and pint of lager were served cold in clean glassware.

We both selected one of the fixed price menus, three courses for 14.95 I think it was, ending with "pineapple or banana fritter" and there was no mention of any issue with the menu offer for the price shown.

When we finished our main courses we were offered coffees but coffee was not actually on the menu we ordered from. There was a pudding. We wanted the fritter sweet which was part of the menu.

Not possible. A misprint apparently. I'm pretty sure the same desert was offered across all the 3 course fixed price menu options. That's a heck of a misprint to slip through. So I had a coffee and the waiter joked that if I wanted, I could have my friend's coffee as a refill, which I did think was genuinely funny. The waiter had a good approach/style.

I paid a visit to the loo after coffee before paying the bill, and I found the gents had: No soap of any kind, no hand drier and no paper towels anywhere (there was an empty wall dispenser). I took a look into the toilet cubicle where I saw an empty toilet roll on the holder and no visible spare. There is a cupboard/door in the cubicle, so you'd think they have a place for storing spare items so they can replenish when needed.

So overall, despite the reasonably good food and very attentive table service in a clean restaurant, we were unimpressed by the misleading menu and lack of basic toilet provisions. Maybe if I had said something about the loos then it would be sorted, and maybe if I complained about the menu I'd get a partial refund (legally obviously that would be right) but you shouldn't have to complain, it should just be right especially when it's not busy and it's not as if they would struggle to get supplies (Aldi or Asda within a minutes walking distance!)

Would I go back? It's only a mile from home, but probably not. I reckon having basics in a toilet is the minimal standard. If that's the public loo, what's the staff one like? It was clean, but do staff get the basics to wash hands? I left a small tip, lower than I ever normally would, but sorry Shabana - you did not impress on Friday night 29th November.

1 Thank hancouk
wakefield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best indian in the sandle area in wakefield , and a warm welcome.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Hey what can i say lost for words .
I went in for a table of 6 which i diden't book.
When i got there the staff were verry helpfull and organized a nice table for me.
We orderd some starterz which was mouth watering , the exclusive mix starter was mind blowing never had it anywhere before.
The main course was outstanding the flavour , the texture was awsome .
We will be going back again to the shabana as i have all the trust on them . keep it up mr shabana .
Mr and mrs anderson.

1 Thank akhadus
Wakefield
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Good portions tasty food keep it boys don't listen to jokers who
had the takeaway he should go to supermarket instead for his meal

2 Thank 256084
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Disgraceful quantity of food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had a takeaway for 4 from here ,never used it before ,never will again ,lamb starter 3 pieces for £4 tandoori king prawn 4 for a tenner !!!! You must be joking ! Naans like rubber ,the only good thing was the cauliflower , daylight robbery won't return won't recommend .

Visited November 2013