“Chicken in Gravy”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have visited the Cinnamon Lounge on a couple of occasions and usually found it to be good however we visited last week and were somewhat disappointed.

The starter was good but the main meal was just like chicken in gravy, the chicken was tasteless and the sauce was very runny, it didn't taste too good either.

We paid and made a hasty exit, it will be sometime before we visit again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been to Cinnamon Lounge twice, the first time we arrived on the spur of the moment. It was a quiet night with not very many cutomers in the restaurant. The service was standard, there was no complimentary pickle tray & the curries were fairly standard. The atmosphere seemed strange although there was background music it felt really quiet which wasnt helped by the staff standing around obviously waiting for something to do. I can't honestly say that I was impressed, we were offered a discount for our next visit - which makes me question now the real reason why places offer discounts.
My second visit didnt start out so good, being 6 of us on a Friday night we thought best to book - thinking we had booked for 8.30, turning up we expected to be seated fairly straight away as they were expecting us!! not at all - we had to wait 20 minutes in the bar area where the staff were not treated very well by the person in charge, I could not understand what was being said but it certainly did not sound very nice. when finally seated we were offered popadums & dips, when they arrived by the waiter another member of staff came up & said something we didnt understand to the waiter, then anounced 'bring another' we dont know why. the pickle tray & popadums were very nice though. The food on the whole is OK, nothing special but I don't think I will be making a return visit. The restaurant was very clean & pleasant, the staff need to show a bit more personality & the mangement need to leaarn how to speak to their staff, I was really embarrassed for the staff. The chairs are comfortable but they are wrong for the tables as you are too low when seated - on the first visit I thought this was just me, but my guests thought so too.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went on a Saturday night arriving approx. 6:30/7 pm.

Service: Initial greeting service, order taking and delivery all fine. A bit slow to collect payment. I went to the bar as we were in a hurry.

Food: We only had two mains (no starters or afters). One was a very good quality mixed lamb/chicken dish off the specials section, the other a good lamb handi. House red was fine.
I would return based on the food quality.

Value: Good price for two meals (& rice/chapatti/naan) and a bottle of house red. It was about £20.

Atmosphere: fine. Fairly busy but enough space between tables to not notice the others around you.

Romance: Not really the kind of place i'd go for a romantic date but enough space / quiet enough to be acceptable.

Others: Location good for Wakefield city centre.

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

What a strange evening my girlfriend and I have just had. It started in the same way that most indian/kashmiri restaurant evenings start; greetings, shown efficiently to a table drinks ordered etc although the waiters weren't as happy as those at other restaurants - a point I'll come to later.

We asked for a pickle tray as it was evident from the menu and waiting service that this restaurant doesn't offer complimentary pickle trays. It was fantastic though...we even commented on how there were too many pickle selections. This was followed by a sizzling starter for two - a fairly basic starter nothing special but not too bad either. So far no alarms bells - so far a fairly standard curry house.

For main courses we each ordered a curry which you can get anywhere - a deliberate decision since this was our first time here - a chicken and spinach and a chicken masala desi. Both were served promptly and both were bland. Like somebody has already said; they tasted like meat in water. Even the 'desi' dish was bland. Come on, a bland desi dish?! We poked at our meals and ate what we could to fill up but left half of each dish. By this time the restaurant was filling up and it seemed like a lot of chicken tikka masalas were being ordered and maybe the regular customers here like bland currys.

Eventually a waiter came to ask if we had finished but did NOT ask how the meal had been in fact nobody had asked us this question. So my girlfriend simply pointed out that the main course was very plain. The waiter looked very offended and didn't say a word in response. He looked a little scared. After 10 further minutes waiting for a bill (or waiting for someone to ask us if we'd like a bill ) we approached the bar area to pay.

At the bar area the manager was busy shouting at his staff in front of some customers who had ordered drinks. When we were asked to pay £40 for two drinks each, two starters and two tasteless currys and a pickle tray I objected by politely advising the waiter that the food was bland. Immediately the manager jumped in with "this is how we cook". Oh dear...I could see this man doesn't take criticism well and he is probably the reason why the staff were so unhappy. He threw every defence at us; "you ate a pickle tray and a starter so your curry wouldn't have tasted right", "you never said anything to our staff when they asked how your meal was" - the staff never asked us by the way. Eventually the manager knocked £7 from our bill which was fine but after his little tantrum I was inclined to walk out without paying.

The place was filling up quite well at this point which shows that the food here does appeal to a certain customer base in Wakefield who like curry and chips with lager. If you want something more authentic then goto Lala's, Kashmiri Aroma, Bollywood Lounge or Mantra. If you really want to experience the food at Cinammon Lounge then buy a pre-packaged microwave curry and a pack of tinnies.

1  Thank chrisechild
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We always have a good meal here - great food and attentive staff. The Emley/ Flockton Moor is my favourite, but all are good.