“Wow”

Amala Thai
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Proudly traditional, distinctly modern fine Thai cuisine restaurant in the heart of Wakefield centre, West Yorkshire, UK. Eating at Amala Thai restaurant is a journey into Thai/South Pacific dining with dishes that are designed to be shared. Our values of cooking with passion, shaped by time and mood, prepared with respect and appreciation for purity of ingredients; as well as their freshness and seasonality to reflect our passion for honest, pure, flavoursome food.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

What a wonderful evening we had in this hidden gem of a restaurent. The deco might not be the best but the food was excellant. I would say this is the best thai meal we have had to date and we have eaten in leeds in the past. The staff were friendly and the service was very efficient, overall an excellant dining experience.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am shocked to read other reviews on this restaurant. All I can say is perhaps the other reviewers didn't go to the same place as we did?
Amazingly authentic Thai dishes and staff to match those in Thailand, nothing too much trouble. The waitress even offered to make things a little spicier than the 'English taste' for us. The Panang curry was to die for, the Amala salad was truly a Thai salad, zingy an flavoursome . My husbands pork dish was incredibly crunchy and full of taste. The icecreams...well a wasabi ice cream sounded strange to say the least but was fabulous and the taster the waitress brought of their new black sesame ice cream was something we're definitely going back for. This isn't the cheapest restaurant but you really get what you pay for . Around £70 for 2 people sounds a little steep but this included 3 courses+ and 5 drinks. when you leave there absolutely full and yet immediately dying to go back and try the rest of the menu , that means a complete success for me.
A small tip...just ask the waitress if you are unsure about what to chose...the poor chef must be tearing his hair out making everything specially for customers but they make sure you get exactly the perfect dish almost 'designed' for you

Reviewed September 12, 2013

As a vegetarian who loves thai food, I was really looking forward to trying out the food at this restaurant. Upon arrival we were seated in the back of the restaurant at a large table for four, the room is nicely decorated and the music was pleasant. The menus were bought quickly and the staff, through out our meal, were polite and helpful. I was surprised by the lack of vegetarian food, compared to a lot of other thai restaurants however there were still an adequate number of choices, though all mains did include tofu.
Around fifteen minutes after ordering the starters arrived, and were more or less faultless. After the plates were cleared we had to wait approximately 50 minutes for the mains to arrive, which was strange as the restaurant wasn't too busy. When the mains finally arrived they were well presented, and looked delicious. However, as much as the food was edible, only one out of the four dishes we ordered would be chosen again. The meals were, in general bland and not spicy.
We then got told that we had desserts come with our 'set menu', however after eating the very small portions of ice cream (small, yet delicious!) and receiving the bill we discovered that even though they were included, you still had to pay extra for them. This was a little annoying as the waiter had misled us a bit, however we paid fully as the ice creams were exceptional.
Overall average service, bland mains, but top quality starters (small dishes) and desserts.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Phoned in advance to check when and what time the early bird was and booked a table within the times mentioned.

Greeted and showed to our table. Décor is simple, nothing really that stood out as being Thai.

Waiter brought the menu (main menu) and left us a few moments then came to take our order. He only presented the Early Bird menu when I asked for it, which I thought was a bit underhand. I don't think anyone in the restaurant was offered this.

The meal was quick to arrive, a little too quick to say its cooked freshly. We ordered chicken satay and spring rolls for starters - they were ok, nothing special.

Main courses - Chicken Panang and Pad Thai - again, ok but nothing special and that's all I can really say about the place and the meal. The pad Thai was the smallest portion I had ever seen, having travelled around Thailand and eaten at many Thai places around Leeds.

All in all the title sums it up

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've been dying to get good thai food, and thought with the reviews I'd seen here, this was my chance. No no no! Really awful night. The place was dead which wasn't a good start. The staff were attentive enough but didn't look happy. Very poor food though. Frozen food quality starters - Iceland? Main course - the Tom yum was not yum at all. They should call it Tom Dish Water. Where were the herbs??? The other dish - stir fry beef was chewy and sauce salty. I think the reviewers are misleading and untrue.

AmalaThai, Owner at Amala Thai, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Regarding your comments concerning the visit you made to Amala Thai.
At all times we are customer focused and use only the freshest ingredients. Of course if we have to import goods to retain authenticity then these products may be frozen on rare occasions. However, I can assure you we use only fresh beef bought locally which is refrigerated but certainly not frozen as you suggest in your review.
Thai food is not to everybody's taste and as we often use authentic Thai ingredients in our dishes these may include herbs and spices never tasted before by some of our customers. That said, isn't that what trying different food is all about?