“carole”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

me and my dad go here nearley every 2weeks and we think it is very good food and good for money it was shut for afew days due to refurb we went back last friday7/6/2013 and the have changes menu a bit but for better choice they have beef and ale pie on now and very good and the apple crumble was very very nice the staff and manager make you wellcome evey time and it is very clean all meals good

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My friend came up from Coventry and we decided on the Rhubarb Triangle for lunch. I have been before and was impressed on that occasion so thought he would like it. We weren't disappointed... I had quiche (very tasty) with plenty of salad and chips and my friend had the gammon and he commented that it had been a long time since he had tasted gammon as tasty and tender. It was a warm day so we took the opportunity of eating al fresco. The staff were very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble and that added to the 'feel good factor' of our visit. Would we go again? Certainly

Reviewed May 28, 2013

we eat here quite often, the meals are great value for money- 2 mains for £10 mon-fri until 6.30pm, very clean, friendly staff with plenty of tables.

1  Thank Sam7England
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and i visited this place for lunch today in passing, wished we had not bothered. He ordered fish chips and mushy peas, this arrived over cooked and a long black hair on his plate.This was taken away same plate returned minus the hair, I had the carvery, with salad and soup for starters,I picked up a soup dish which was very dirty.I gave this to the chef who made no comment.I then had the carvery, the plate was cold, the roasters were the frozen type.The rest of the food was of poor quality, please avoid this place, you have been warned.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stuck for somewhere to go for sunday dinner I remembered about this place just outside of the city centre. Previous experiences of these types of restaurant piggy-backed onto budget hotels are generally not awesome but more than acceptable. So I was slightly apprehensive that it would be hit & miss. I was wrong.

We were greeted by very enthusiastic and helpful staff who allowed me to choose a table (I despise being told where to sit, i'm an adult, I can figure that part out). We ordered the adults 2 course carvery and 3 course childrens carvery. £9.99 gets you a choice of soup and roll or salad, and your main course of carvery. My wife and son had the salad and I had the soup, both salads were nicely chilled, crunchy, fresh and bursting with flavour and my Carrot & Corriander soup was very nice too. You can go back for more if you wish.

The carvery was also very enjoyable, I was very impressed with the meats. The gammon was very tasty, full of flavour and not salty like other. I also had some of the beef which again was nice and tender, easy to cut and tasted like top quality meat. Other carveries have been fatty, stringy and rubbery, and feel like you've got the cheap meat.
I'm an old fashioned guy, I like my roast potatoes to taste like they have actually been roasted in the over with the meat, like my mother used to make. These were. The ones i'm used to in other carveries are a bit 'school dinner' for me.

Overall the main course was very good and we all cleared our plates and were left stuffed. My only gripe about the carvery was the choice of vegetables. There were no brocolli, sprouts or cauliflower and as I don't like carrots I could only have the cabbage. That was a bit disappointing but I didn't mind as the price was cheap and I made up for it with everything else on offer. I also hate this tradition of the staff pestering you while you're eating....
"is everything ok with your meals" etc
Look, I am more than capable of getting your attention if i'm not happy. I do not need you to check on me, especially when i've miscalculated the location of my mouth and i'm having a battle with a rogue piece of beef that doesn't want to be eaten......if i'm eating and chewing just leave me the hell alone.

Once you've paid for your 2 course carvery you can add a pudding for £2 which is a really good offer. So all three of us had a dessert and it cost £5 for all three of us. Usually the desserts offered with these kind of deals are the ones nobody wants but we had profiteroles and the little one had a chocolate crunch sundae. We loved every mouthful.

All in all we really enjoyed our meal here, the food was delicious and was nice and quiet despite being busy. I hate places that play music, especially when it's just far too loud to even hold a conversation over dinner. It cost in total £37 for two adults and one child for a 3-course sunday lunch each, this includes unlimited drinks as they are refillable.
That is very good value as we've eaten at other places and paid £10-15 more and left being disappointed. We will definately be back here and hope we will have another great meal.