“Okay, better value nearby”
Review of Blacker Hall Farm

Blacker Hall Farm
Ranked #42 of 423 Restaurants in Wakefield
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Good Quality food specialising in steak but with vegetarian options available.Lovely rustic setting in converted barn good choice of wine but limited choice of beers.Only open friday and Saturday night and very busy so would advise to book.Service left a little to be desired but that was probably down to how busy it was.
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Nice enough surroundings. We had rare beef and barbecue pork sandwiches. Very small portions of beef. Pork lovely, but bread burnt. Overall cost was too high for what we received. Better food and definitely better value at Cannon Hall Farm.

1  Thank Andy C

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was really looking forward to my first trip to Blacker Hall Farm having heard how nice it was. The first impressions of the Cafe were WOW! It is a very large space, looks like a modern barn. The system itself is a little confusing as you help yourself to some things but not others. We placed our order at the till where we sympathised with the girl serving us as she must've been new as she clearly didn't know what she was doing. We queried about one of the dishes and she said 'Urm I dunno' and walked away to find out which I personally thought was unprofessional. It was fairly busy however not worth waiting 20 minutes for our coffees which were luke warm when they arrived halfway through eating our meals. The sauce pot on our table was nearly empty and when I asked for some more mayonnaise a waitress reluctantly dragged her feet to get me some. This was surprising for me as I believe she was of higher management due to her black shirt. other than that though the service was good but just quite slow. I had the Steak Burger and my wife had the fishcakes, both meals were lovely. I think overall, Blacker Hall is not worth the money at all.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I was really looking forward to my first trip to Blacker hall farm having heard how nice it was. First impressions? Wow! What a place, I'd love to live in a place like this, it truly is a beautiful place. We sat and placed our order of coffee and the house special burgers with their chunky chips. Service was superb and our food delivered in super fast time, presentation was good and my mouth was watering as I took my first bite. I'm not sure if it was just me, but there was very little taste / flavour to the burger at all, in the meat, cheese or bun. For a place which prides itself on its meat, it's such a shame to spoil it by not seasoning. I had high expectations on my chips to save the day, they looked superb, big, fat and crunchy, but alas, no taste! Sorry.... But I like my food to be honest and flavoursome, but on that day, in that place, it was neither. I lost count of the majo sachets we used in an attempt to add taste.
Will I go again, yes, the place doesn't need my return custom as it's a very busy place, but I'd like to think it was a blip.

1  Thank neilgwhite
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We visit the Barn regularly for breakfast at the weekend. Would have given 5 for service if there wasn't so often a queue for the till. The quality of ingredients is extremely high and the pork sausages are wonderful. Some of the sandwiches have too much bread and not enough filling and it would be nice to have the option of slices of bread rather than baguettes. Love the latte coffee there too.
The barn itself is lovely and there is room to sit outside. I would recommend this restaurant

1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Since opening three years ago I have been many times to the Barn. The shop and the cafe are a wonderful asset to Wakefield. The staff are lovely. However despite having wonderful produce in the shop the cafe is often a disappointing dining experience. I have decided that the only safe option is coffee and cake. Had afternoon tea this week and it was very poor. Awful sliced white bread and very poor fillings. A Sunday lunch a few weeks ago was also very poor.