“will be back again”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grill! Primal Kitchen - CLOSED

Grill! Primal Kitchen
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to Olive & Meze Website Olive & Meze is a new restaurant to the Wakefield area. It is independently owned and operated by Zafer Firinci our Head Chef. Zafer has over 20 years experience in the restaurant industry having previously owned and operated 2 restaurants in Turkey and 1 in Wetherby in the UK. Zafer and his team strongly believe in providing excellent quality food at a great price with fast, friendly efficient service. We hope you will join us to sample the Turkish Delights of Olive & Meze.
“will be back again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

First time at Grill at 31 and I will be back again. Looks to be a small family run business. The covers are't massive but that adds to the atmosphere and the good service. Arriving at just after opening at 7 expecting to be one of the first customers - no the restaurant was nearly half full and if you've been here before you will know it doesn't take many people to fill it. Never throughout the night did we feel rushed through our meals. For me this was added value - there is nothing worse than feeling rushed. We had starters - calamari, olives and bread, main - chicken with veg and creamy ouzo sauce and stiffado pigs cheeks, can't remember the name of the pudding but it was very similar to baclava with mugs of hot coffee to finish with. All was very nice. The cost probably is slightly more expensive than your standard chain outlet but what you are paying for is so obviously fresh ingredients which are well cooked, the chef knows how to cook food. This is a very nice, relaxed place which reminds me of holidays. I actually liked the fact that the chef came out to speak to customers, so many dont and that makes a big difference.

1 Thank tweeky2

“amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Went here last night and had a great time. Great to see different beers. I had a keo. Reminded me of my holiday last year.
I ordered the grilled baby octopus & wild boar kleftico. Was amazing. The whole thing was like being in Cyprus. I didn't have room for dessert but my boyfriend did and said the black cherry cheesecake was delicious. he didn't have a starter and had a double mixed souvlaki for main with homemade chips.
The flavours of the food are so authentic. The place smells amazing and my tummy grumbled as soon as we walked in. The staff are great as well.

I am sure we will be back. Wakefield needed this restaurant.

“Excellent everytime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I have been here several times this month. Its local to me and with so much choice I can have something different everytime. I have had chicken Ithaca (complete with whole onions as per the menu) souvlaki, kleftiko to name a few.
I like that I can take a bottle of wine. Even with the corkage charge its still considerably cheaper than purchasing wine in a restaurant.

While the menu doesn't appear the cheapest in town, I like that it includes any potatoes, rice or veg and you get a great mixed salad. Most restaurants charge extra for any side orders.

The food is delicious and the baklava and cheesecakes are to die for. Last time even took a cheesecake home for the next day as I was too full. Raspberry and vodka, just couldn't say no.
The staff and owners are always welcoming and nothing seems to much trouble. One friend of mine is a ceoliac and all the menu could be done gluten free. It was so no e for her to be able to have a full menu to choose from.

Obviously i love this place. Who would go to a restaurant more than once if they didn't like it the first time?
thank you again and see you soon. Probably with my Cypriot parents, they will love it too.

1 Thank jgray82
“Poor food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Steak underdone, mushrroms starter was very greasy, chicken dish had boiled whole onions on the side with a horrible sauce, food in general was poor and expensive too and don't get me onto the pudding cant believe it was home made! Gave it a third chance (all have been below expectation) due to previous reviews-will not be going back! Have lived in Greece for two years this is not how food should be- sainsburys so a better Greek sakad -better off going to Cow shed or the 3 acres (for a special meal) waitress rude and not in correct attire very scruffy spoilt my birthday!!

6 Thank Toppy2by4
“TWICE! Soooooo nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

First went here for my birthday on Saturday 25th May 2013 with partner, daughter aged 4 and 4 month old son.
Heard we could take our own beverages so took a bottle of champers and some beers for my other half (this making the bill considerably cheaper than it would have been). They provided an ice bucket for the champers and kept the beers chilled for us.
We were the first in as id booked for 6pm with us having the kids with us, but the place filled up over the course of the evening with what looked like people that were on returning visits as they were known to the staff.
We absolutely loved this little greek taverna style restaurant and felt like we were on our hols for the couple of hours we were there.The only downside was walking out of the place and realising your in the centre of Wakefield still!
The staff are fabulous and nothing is too much trouble for them. Great menu and even better specials board.
Ordered the bbq chicken wings in the jack and coke sauce - spicy version which you got loads of and were delicious and the halloumi and lounza (smoked pork) and chutney for our starters. We opted for a steak each (£14.95) and added half a lobster and tiger prawns to them off the specials board which was only an extra £10 each and well worth it........ all of which was cooked to perfection. They said our little girl could have anything off the menu in a smaller portion or she could have some homemade chicken nuggets if she preferred... which she jumped at! they were lovely pieces of chicken which she had with maris piper chips and some of the lovely house salad they put in the middle of the table complimentary.
Our 4 month old slept through most of the meal but when he woke up i was asked if i wanted a bottle warming for him... when i said i was breastfeeding i was told to feel free to feed him if i wanted to.
All in all the quality of the food and the professional yet so friendly service made for a great birthday night out with the family. Top class food that was great value for money.
I enjoyed it that much that i went back with my friend the following week! We took a couple of bottles of wine with us that even if you add the £3.50pp corkage charge its still cheaper than buying one in your normal restaurants and this way you get to drink exactly the wine that you prefer.
This time I had oysters off the specials board for starters and couldnt resist another steak for my main as it was sooo delicious the previous week but this time tried the diane sauce and had it with the cyprus potatoes and vegetables..... yet again a beautifully cooked and tasty piece of meat. My friend chose the mixed greek dips and pitta which would make a great sharing starter as she left some.... to make room for her main, which was the chicken saganaki which she said was the tastiest dish she'd had in a long time.
We were too full to sample the desserts which is a shame because they looked so nice.

Overall both nights out at Grill!31 have been fantastic and I cant wait to return again. The owners do a great job from the excellent food to the wonderful front of house service. You can tell they have children of their own as they know how and what a family with young children need when out for a meal.

This place is a definitely a little gem and now my favourite place to eat out with family and friends.

• Visited May 2013