“Superb experience”

The Hepworth Wakefield
Ranked #5 of 43 things to do in Wakefield
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hepworth Wakefield is Yorkshire's award-winning gallery designed by David Chipperfield Architects which opened to the public in May 2011. The UK's largest purpose-built gallery in over 50 years, we celebrate the achievements of one of Britain's most significant sculptors, Barbara Hepworth, in the city in which she was born and raised. As well as the Hepworth Family Gift, a unique collection of Hepworth's working models gifted to Wakefield through the Art Fund, the gallery also holds the collection of the former Wakefield Art Gallery. Alongside collection displays, we also present a regularly changing programme of contemporary exhibitions by world-renowned artists as well as offering award-winning family and learning activities for all ages, a cafe bar and shop - a perfect day out for all the family. Free admission all year round.
Portsmouth Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Superb experience”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I cannot recommend this gallery highly enough ( and believe me I have been to many in UK and abroad).
The rooms are a joy of space and light , which enhance the installations and the overall experience.
The ambiance created is at the same time both serene and exhilarating , positively pulling you right into the work.The range of exhibits on display are wide-ranging and breathtaking, top marks to the Curator.
The location is great , with the large windows in appropriate positions around the building allowing for the outside charms such a the river to blend with the internal space and the contemplation of the historical and personal ( to B .Hep worth) reasons for the building being situated where it is, which was interesting and poignant .
The staff were superb , in contrast to a number of galleries that I am certain many have you have visited , the staff made us feel as if they really wanted us to be there. They were engaging , knowledgeable and clearly had pride in their gallery .
As if all this was not enough, we had a lovely lunch with good food at a reasonable price served by people who really made us feel welcome.
The overall experience was brilliant . My friends and myself had traveled from the South of England to visit this gallery and Yorkshire Sculpture Park . We were not disappointed in fact our expectations were exceeded, the journey was well worth it .

Visited October 2013

Lydbrook, England, United Kingdom
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Good gallery, fantastic cafe”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Be warned first of all. The museum is free, but the car park opposite, which you are directed to, costs £4.50 to park in if I remember correctly. The museum is enjoyable, but not as extensive as you might assume from its publicity. I am a bit of an art fiend, but was only there about three hours, which included having a meal. However, it was a great place to visit, though some might find it a little inaccessible as it is mostly modern art and obviously concentrates on the work of Barbara Hepworth. Also I had hoped to go to the Calder, some distance away but that was locked up despite the 'Welcome to the Calder' sign on the gates.
However, a big thumbs up for the cafe. Lovely food at reasonable prices, served extremely quickly. I had possibly the best beef stew I have ever tasted.

York, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great modern gallery”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great gallery in a lovely setting. I loved the Hepworth plasters, which were particularly interesting having been to the Hepworth gallery in St Ives. The cafe was excellent. The only disappointment was there was no indication that the new section 'The Calder' was open. I would have expected to have been directed there by the person who greeted us with information, and signs as we left. I would love to see the Roger Hiorns exhibition so may have to make another trip!

Batley,
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Worth going”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Disappointed that the web site failed to tell me about the best disabled parking on side street right next to galley but sent me to main car park to pay £4.50 (blue badge holders too) and then have to cross the foot bridge. The loos are a laugh with peculiar lighting and ultra modern taps etc. made it an adventure in itself. Sorry the giant sized lift not working when we were there, that would have been an experience. Staff were pleasant and we were immediately greeted as we entered although after that they did not seem to know what to say! The mix of art was fascinating with something for most although I felt the lighting in the gallery showing items from York needed some tweaking. The full height bay windows were wonderful and gave a new perspective on the surroundings - found ourselves watching a fisherman and questioning as to whether he was real or an art installation!
Café was pleasant but nothing special, although the food was very good.We did notice one girl constantly tidying up but seemed to be others not doing not much of anything. More use could have been made of the wall space in there - small pictures which could not see without leaning over tables.
Nice gift shop with a selection, similar to that at the Sculpture Park.

Charlton Mackrell, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great modern engaging gallery”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fantastic mix of works over 10 galleries. Great kids pack, very engaging and educational whilst being fun. Lockers, great cafe and as it was summer hols an artist lead activity inspired by the works within the gallery. Wonderful. No entry fee, we could only stay 3 hours but you could stay longer.