“Excellent galleries and free guided tour but expensive cafe”

The Hepworth Wakefield
Ranked #5 of 45 things to do in Wakefield
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hepworth Wakefield is Yorkshire's award-winning gallery designed by David Chipperfield Architects which opened to the public in May 2011. The UK's largest purpose-built gallery in over 50 years, we celebrate the achievements of one of Britain's most significant sculptors, Barbara Hepworth, in the city in which she was born and raised. As well as the Hepworth Family Gift, a unique collection of Hepworth's working models gifted to Wakefield through the Art Fund, the gallery also holds the collection of the former Wakefield Art Gallery. Alongside collection displays, we also present a regularly changing programme of contemporary exhibitions by world-renowned artists as well as offering award-winning family and learning activities for all ages, a cafe bar and shop - a perfect day out for all the family. Free admission all year round.
Bradford
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellent galleries and free guided tour but expensive cafe”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am not a huge fan of modern art but my wife persuaded me to go here and I was glad that I did. We took the free guided tour which was given by an extremely enthusiastic and interesting young man. The Tissot's were fabulous as were some of the sculptures but I would give the 'lots of LEDs in a row with weird music playing' gallery a miss. Staff were knowledgeable and helpful. The only negative I would say is that the café is expensive. We only had coffees and cakes but both were 'average' quality and overpriced.

Also - don't be put off by the cold concrete building from the outside - it really is a lovely place inside.

Visited August 2013

• Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“I wouldn't have most of the paintings 'on my walls'”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

If it wasn't for the Tissot paintings the visit would have been a complete waste of time. Not my type or art but I was prepared to go and have a look.
Apparently the collections do change; guess I visited at the wrong time!
Nice building, smooth minimalist style, staff attentive and helpful.
On the FreeBus route but the driver forgot to tell us the stop, we noticed the building going passed so we got off at the next stop.
One of the best viewings was from a large window overlooking the canal.

Visited August 2013
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
280 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Diffferent and interesting”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

A visit to the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield with a very good friend who has a different interest in art to my own. We were both impressed with the building and its surroundings. There are friendly and well presented staff ready to help with any queries. One set of exhibits could have been the film set of a science fiction scene. Very interesting information on Barbara Hepworth and her sculptures and designs. The ability with all galleries to have different exhibitions ensures return visits, we will return. Facilties for refreshments are very good and comfortable, all with a view.

Visited March 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“I have taken more interesting things to the tip.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The first thing that hits you when you see the building is that it looks like something from an eastern block country..grey and cold in no way in sympathy with its surroundings.
As you walk through the galleries from one exhibit to another you wonder what some of the artists were thinking as they scraped and chiseled their way through the chosen materials.
Let me clarify..It was as if they were on some kind of medication when they started their projects and as it wore off they looked at it and abandoned it.
You will leave thinking that you have taken more interesting things to the tip.

Visited September 2012
8 Thank stevepreston
Castleford
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Dreary outside, inside fantastic!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our daughter took us to visit the Hepworth, as she has been on several occasions. The inside of the gallery is very well designed with generous space to study the artworks. There are some lovely views and seating areas. Whether you appreciate some of the art or not, it certainly gives you something to talk about. I noticed that lots of activities were provided for the children and parents and we were very impressed. All staff were extremely helpful and had obviously done their homework. The café, gift shop and toilet facilities, was excellent and the car park is just a short walk. We enjoyed a lovely, interesting afternoon. Well done Wakefield!

Visited April 2013