“Worth a visit”

Ranked #54 of 445 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Unicorn, much like it's namesake, is a mythical beast. A traditional small country pub with open fires and no ties to a brewery so the real ales are constantly changing. We're all about loc'ale' talent and always try to use the local microbreweries such as Five Towns, Great Newsome and the popular Hamelsworde for either cask or bottled ale. Our food is traditional and well executed with generous portions. We have real chips and most dishes are cooked to order, so don't expect fast food but do expect quality and quantity. We have traditional desserts like rhubarb crumble, chocolate fudge cakes etc. And recently our homemade cheesecakes, made with an ever changing selection of popular chocolate bars, are becoming quite popular, so much so we now offer a full cheesecakes as a pre order service - examples are - malteser, crunchie, ripple, ginger biscuit and chocolate, apple crumble, fresh strawberry and flake or anything you can suggest! The pub is also quite well known for it's music ties, we have a regular open mic night (1st and 3rd Sat of the month) which is second to none on the welcoming and encouraging atmosphere we have going, expect a full pub if you choose to join us! It is slowly becoming a tradition that we hold a yearly event known as Rhubarbfest, in which the village main street is closed, a rhubarb truck is set up in the car park for live bands, attractions and rides at the front of the pub and great barbecued food served all day. This year it will be on 25/5/14. Chris and Sarah and all the staff welcome you and any feedback you may have
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Lovely country pub with excellent food, all home-cooked. The service is brilliant and the staff are very friendly and chatty. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is one of the nicest pubs I have been in with a friendly welcome to both old and new customers. The food is all delicious, fresh and locally sourced ( certainly NOT " microwave rubbish") . The pub has been redecorated and toilets are new and clean. The attitude in this pub is Nothing is too much trouble. I have been present when a lady came in who had a glutton free diet and the Chef obliged by making her a special meal. I'm not sure about the review from Fev1993 but I suspect a bit of foul play... Please check this pub out personally I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We have been (as a family of 6) to the Unicorn regularly over the last couple of months. The food is homecooked and of great quality- we have never been disappointed. The staff are incredibly friendly and the pub has an excellent and welcoming atmosphere. We will continue to be regular patrons and would highly recommend to anyone who wants to eat great good value food in a friendly environment. We'll be back!!
Chris

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have never reviewed anything on here before, too lazy to do so! However, reading a bad review on this place has sparked a response! If the person responsible for the said review happens to see this then my advice to you would be to take up being an author, your works of fiction would surpass J K Rowling and earn you millions, I have never read anything that was more out of sink with reality than your review. I have eaten in the unicorn on several occasions, would be every day if could, the food is cooked to perfection, if I had not gone in the car and parked in the car park at the back of the pub, I would have quite easily believed there was a full working farm right there! All the food was so fresh, so different from the big chain pubs! If I was asked to recommend somewhere to eat the unicorn would be top of my list no question! #AMAZEBALLS!!!!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I took my family for my eldest sons birthday for drinks and food. everyone was impressed with the quality and the portions of the wide variety of dishes ordered which were served in good time and well cooked. While not really my thing, my sister's boyfriend said he was very impressed with the ales and would liked to have stayed longer to fully appreciate them. The bloke serving us was never going to win any prizes for his looks, but he was welcoming and friendly and kept the log fires burning, which served to enhance the atmosphere of the well presented interior. A good experience all round and competitively priced.