“Hotel/Motel did the job but room for improvement”

Campanile Wakefield
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Chester-le-St
“Hotel/Motel did the job but room for improvement”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently for two nights and found it totally different from all the other budget hotels ive stayed in.
The positives were 1, the staff were excellent in customer service and very friendly. 2.The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. 3. The shower was very good and the tv was very good.
The negatives were 1. Shower curtain needed to be changed it made the bathroom smell musky. 2. Guests sitting out on balconies drinking and smoking into the early hours and shirtless! 3.Areas around stairwells had a smell of people using them as toilets. 4. Area location of hotel doesn't lend itself to being the safest for women or nice walks for families.
For a budget hotel it met my needs but it really is a motel which some people will enjoy whereas others may require finer things but for the price it met my needs.Room for improvement particularly the smoking and drinking on the balconies.

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor room then the balcony drinkers and smokers can be avoided.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BazzaChester_le_St

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked it as city centre on that popular last minute site but it was a 30 minute walk and it was on an industrial estate,pretty much opposite a power station, I'm a writer and I travel on my own, if it had of been winter I would have been scared in the dark on my own having to find it in the middle of an industrial estate.

I'm currently writing a book about travelling all 69 cities of the UK and I do always mention the hotels. I'd love to not mention this one but the public need to be aware. Firstly as a female travelling alone I felt completely unsafe, there were uncouth shirtless men hanging around on the balconies, there were cigarette butts everywhere, when I got into the room the walls had stains like something had leaked down the wall, part of the walls in several places looked like they'd been dented and repaired, the carpet was horrendous and there were very many unlcean places in the bathroom, including mould on the ceiling, I didn't take a shower for fear of what would happen and I double locked my door in fear of my life over night. In the morning I went down for breakfast, awful 70's style dismal place. I was charged £8.75 for breakfast, it wasn't good breafast either, you could go to a lovely hotel and have breakfast for about the same price! I then saw a woman who was asked if she was "checking in again" at half past 8 in the morning. I've since read reports from others about the possibility that it's being frequented by local prostitutes. At that point I got the first taxi I could to the station and sat in there for the 2 hours before my train feeling that it would potentially be safer.

Just think Bates Motel and you're somewhere along the right lines, I've actually written to the travel agent and asked for a refund.

If you are a female travelling on your own, don't stay here, if you are a male with any kind of standards I wouldn't stay here either, if you have kids, please, please don't stay here.

I often take what I read on Trip advisor with a pinch of salt when I read really bad reviews but in the case of this hotel (it's a motel, not a hotel) they're all absolutely spot on. Funny thing is that it cost more than my previous nights stay at the Holiday Inn express, Leeds Armouries the night before and that hotel was fabulous.

So stay anywhere in Wakefield just don't stay here!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank MandyCharlton
Wakefield
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Great staff allow you to wait in bar area after hours if needs be, will look after your bags if you want to spend the day after checking out, beds comfy basic if you need tea and coffee don't complain just ring for more like you would do anywhere else clean polite and to say where it is it is a quiet place, only down side is could do with a touch of paint and breakfast to be included in the deals and it's never cold because the gratings great and they don't mind if you have family round I.e. We once had relatives down for Christmas and they was fantastic with us all

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I had a very peaceful stay over a Friday and a Saturday night. The motel is tucked away on an industrial estate and the door to each room opens onto fresh air, either directly onto the ground or onto a walkway. This made a nice change from stuffy, overheated hotel corridors full of cleaners and their equipment. The staff were friendly and helpful but not intrusive. I was pleasantly surprised (for the price) to find a bath in the bathroom, not just a shower, and a bath with a decent depth moreover. There is a rollerblind on the outside of the room which is controlled by a stick beside the window inside. That added to the sense of seclusion and peace overnight. The electric socket is hidden behind the curtain, so I panicked that I wouldn't be able to charge my phone or laptop until I found it, but find it I did eventually. There's ample free parking available. My only two minor criticisms would be that there were no radio channels on the television, and the only coffee sachets provided were for decaff (I'd brought my own tea and coffee anyway, having read reviews here). Those are incredibly small faults. The worst thing about my stay was reading scare stories on this site before I left!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Wales, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed the one night. The was clean and comfortable. The hot shower was excellent. Good wifi in the room. For the money (discount sunday evening) it was a very good deal.There was plenty of car parking and a decent size restaurant with some outside tables. Dog friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
northwest uk
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We stayed here on a Friday night before heading to a dog show in Doncaster, it's more a motel to be honest in looks.
For £40 a night we honestly couldn't complain, staff were friendly and yes it's in the middle of an industrial estate but you'd never know it as it's surrounded by trees.
We stayed on the ground floor and parked directly outside, we had a short walk along the canal behind the hotel to the Toby carvery.
The room was clean and basic , extra towels and pillows in the wardrobe but for £40 what more do you want? It served its purpose for us and we've stayed in some dives with the dog showing scene at a higher cost!
I'd have to be really picky and fussy to resort to some negative comments posted which remind me of hyacinth bucket!! C'mon it's a forty quid room lol moaning about lack of teabags.... Enough said

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank campingsarah
Ampthill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked this hotel for a 4 night and then cancelled after reading the reviews. Received email confirming my cancellation and a fee of the cost of one night stay. A week later this hotel then decided to steal the cost of the whole 4 night stay from my bank account. I am waiting for my refund. This sort of behaviour does this hotel no favours.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business