“Would recommend!! ”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Ferrybridge, United Kingdom
“Would recommend!! ”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Me and my Boyfriend had booked here for a Valentines day little treat - even though we live in Wakefield itself! But for £50 including breakfast, we thought why not?! Have a night by ourselves. We got there earlier than check in but our room was already ready and we were told we could go straight to it! When we entered, it was spacious, well decorated (both bedroom and bathroom) with TV and coffee/tea making facilities. Once we were ready, we had booked a table at the restaurant next door, Sloanes. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was fantastic! (Apart from feeling rushed between meals). We even got a free bottle of wine as we said we were here for a Valentine's meal! We then headed off for a few drinks round Wakefield in to the early hours of the morning. We went back to the hotel at around 2am and the receptionist greeted us with a friendly attitude and asked if we had had a good night. The beds were unbelievably comfy once we got back to our room. The next morning, we went back in to Sloanes restaurant for our breakfast - which to our surprise was choose what you like full English!!!! With also the choice of cereal, toast and got drinks. It was such a lovely evening for us to be on our own and treat each other. Would definitely recommend staying here again!

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Heptathlete1992
abi2008, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are glad you enjoyed your Valentine's evening with us and hope that we made it special for you.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see more of you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Birmingham
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I needed to stay somewhere central in wakefield whilst visiting relatives and you can't get much more central than this hotel! 2 minutes walk from the train station I was a bit worried because of the cheapness of the deal I got but couldn't have been happier for the price I paid. Okay it could do with a bit of a refurb if you compare it to other hotels in the area but I would have paid 3 times the price to stay in those hotels. It was clean and had all the things I needed in a hotel room. The staff were friendly, letting me leave my luggage in the office whilst I made a trip to town after checking out and all in all I would definitely recommend staying here! Considering it is so close to Westgate the hotel was extremely peaceful at night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cherina
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here last year and had no hesitation in booking again. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the room was large and spotlessly clean. The bedlinen was immaculate and I had the benefit of two windows as I was on a corner.
Breakfast was great with the eggs freshly cooked to order.
Dinner in the restaurant was superb and I thoroughly enjoyed all three courses.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have two windows. I was on 208 and this had one on the front of the hotel and one at th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank makem359
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have just had our Daughters 10th Birthday party in the hotels fantastic room.
We was allowed access to the room on the Friday to decorate before Saturdays party.
The room is very spacious and is broken up into 2 parts by an archway where the cake can be presented with spot lights, looked beautiful. The dance floor was all set up for us on one side with disco lights and PA system already in house with DJ booth so according to the DJ he just had to plug in. There was a projector allowing us to play a DVD slide show with images of our daughter. (looked great). The walls were lined with chairs for the kids, they loved it.
The other half of the room was laid out with large round clothed tables for the parents and adults.
We also had a massive buffet provided by the a joining Sloanes Restaurant (same company) which was well above expectations for what we paid. For the adults, the Peri Peri Chicken made with the chef homemade Peri Peri sauce is a must.

It must be said that this was a fantastic venue for my daughters party with helpful friendly staff who went out of their way to make the day as memorable as possible for all concerned.

We also had two families from out of town that had a couple of family rooms. Chatting to them today they said their rooms were lovely and spacious and they really enjoyed their stay and breakfast.

Would nt hesitate to recommend this venue to anyone in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We hope we made your daughter's birthday a very special day!
We hope to see more of you in the future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Enjoyed my stay in Wakefield after a night out with friends.Great location near the bars in Westgate as well as a short walk from Westgate railway station.Rooms were reasonable and clean enough.Breakfast was adequate but overall the hotel was very good value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank owlsman
abi2008, Manager at York House Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here recently when I had to temporarily move out of my house. I stayed for 2 weeks in all and I cannot fault the hotel. The rooms were spotlessly clean and welcoming with all the amenities needed, the staff were so lovely and could not do enough for you. And Sloanes Restaurant next door serves up amazing dishes. I really enjoyed my stay here and it was made so special by the staff who really made me feel at home (better than those corporate hotels anyday). Thank you to all the staff at York House Hotel for making a hard time in my life so much easier!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A bit disappointed to be honest. Rooms ok ish, but not the cleanest. The wifi was free but quite frustrating as it only worked by the room door. Sitting on a chair by the room door is not conducive to relaxed business work! It was quite noisy at times, especially from the room above.
The breakfast was plentiful but a poor standard and not great presentation. I was looking forward to a cooked breakfast, unfortunately it was swimming in grease!
On the whole average. Great central location for surrounding travel on business and close to amenities of Wakefield.

Room Tip: A higher floor as lots of creaking noise from movement and night activities if your room is on the f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
We do our best to maintain high standards throughout our hotel but we understand that we aren't perfect and so we take all your reviews on board to better our hotel and it's service.
We have listened to our guests comments about our free Wi-Fi being weak in certain rooms and have therefore upgraded it at the beginning of November so that all our guests in every room have a strong signal.
We also take your comments on the quality of our breakfast on board and will take the necessary measures to improve this for our guests.
Thank you for your review and we hope to hear from you again in the future.