“Great place, with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of York House Hotel

York House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Wakefield
Oslo, Norway
“Great place, with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure staying here. Very nice place, with very friendly staff. The restaurant Sloans is also to be recommended. Good food, and great drinks. They even made me special dishes if i wanted with top ingredients. The rooms are nice, and new bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Christopher H
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see more of you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here on Weds 17 July with a friend for a social occasion,. The theatre is the next building. HOW PERFECT. Fantastic food, atmosphere and service. Amazing location - 1 street away from a train station and 1 minute walk to the shops and night life. Perfect ! Thank you York House and your team :)

Room Tip: we had room 101 which was a HUGE family room a double bed and 2 singles, perfect for a large group o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

One of my elderly family members stayed here recently when he was visiting me (as i live in the area). He was so pleased with the hotel that he asked me to write a good review. From arrival at the hotel the staff were attentive and catered to my Uncle's every need. The rooms are cosy and comfortable and the hotel is very clean. We dined together at the on site restaurant (Sloanes) and the meal was outstanding (definitely a credit to the hotel). The breakfast was a full English with a choice of juice, tea, coffee and cereal as well as toast and jams and this was a really nice breakfast and my Uncle tells me that the waitress at breakfast time was really lovely ;) . In all this was a very enjoyable visit for my Uncle and he will definitely stay again when he comes back to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see more of you and your uncle in the future.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

stayed at the york house hotel saturday 13th untill sunday 14th.group of 15 lads on stag night.from the moment we arrived untill the moment we left habib and his staff took great care of us.i was worried about hotel as i booked for party but this was laid to rest when we arrived.check in was fast staff(all staff)were pleasant and very helpfull.rooms were lovely and clean,modern and comfortable.so pleased we booked this hotel.breakfast was nice and to be honest never tryed sloanes but the food coming out did look and smell lovely.once again a big thank you to all the staff for a lovely stay from all 15 of us

Room Tip: all our rooms were nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Recently I have been trying to find locally run hotels rather than the large corporate groups. This hotel was excellent. The room was modern, clean & tidy and good value for money.
Arrived late and reception was closed but my check in was handled by Sloanes restaurant. decided to have dinner at Sloanes and the staff there were flexible enough to change one of the menu dishes for something I fancied. They also had a superb Italian red wine that helped me unwind after a very long day.
Shower, Hair dryer and coffee making facilities in the room which amazed me for the price. Certainly beats the larger hotels.
Breakfast was not brilliant but I was meeting business colleagues and a client and the staff had no trouble in serving coffee and tea by the cup load but only charged me a nominal cost.
Will certainly stay again when in the area and recommend it to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: Only 20 rooms and these have been converted from the original house.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manchester UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the York House Hotel (and Sloanes restaurant) on Saturday 1st June 2013.
First of all, I don’t work for the hotel or Wakefield tourist board; I’m just some geezer who’s leaving a review (good or bad) after a stay.
The hotel is ideally located near the train station, and a 100-200m walk to the centre of town.
Wakefield comes alive at night, especially on a Saturday, so it’s hard to find the centre, but the hotel is there.
I checked out almost every hotel / B&B in Wakefield on ‘tripadvisor’ before I went for the York House.
When I checked in at 1300hrs (should have been after 1400hrs), I was surprised on how quiet the one way street was, and more so how quiet and friendly the hotel staff were.
I found my room (109), which was a twin room, more for use for a disabled person. The room was on the front of the hotel but on the inside of the hotel, the side of the corridor from the front, if you get my drift? I could see the inner courtyard from my window where all the aircon units were, but we weren’t at the rear of the hotel.
I paid downstairs after checking the room (I’m obsessive after staying at some bad hotels), as it was payment up front at checkin.
I went for a walk around town, and as I passed the rear of the hotel I found it backed onto a very large nightclub (QUEST), I had a heart attack, I’d asked at reception if there were any problems with anything in the area like nightclubs that caused noise into the wee small hours, which was met with “No.”
Anyway, I attended the meeting that afternoon / evening, had a few drinks and went to bed. I had a sound sleep, especially as a light sleeper, the nightclub and any other noise (not that I heard anything) was fine from my room. I went for breakfast at 0900hrs in Sloanes. The restaurant and breakfast, and service were great.
Overall the hotel was great, at the prices you pay for as well. If you want 5*star you pay for that, I’d say that it was a 3*star hotel, bordering on 4*star, this was a very good yet cheap-priced hotel for an overall faultless stay, and it looks spotless! There’s a few chips on the reception desk from the guests, but the hotel and restaurant is/are immaculate.

Room Tip: As above in main text
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at the York House Hotel in Wakefield for several weeks.
This is a very good hotel, with a good restaurant, and great service. This i a hotel with great value for money factor. RECOMENDED

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business