“Great little Italian in a small town: if it ain't broke don't fix it.”
Review of Bella Roma

Bella Roma
Ranked #17 of 409 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Leeds & Germany
“Great little Italian in a small town: if it ain't broke don't fix it.”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Bella Roma has been a haunt of mine for over 25 years, ever since I was first taken there by my parents. Great food; nice varied specials board (the liver dish that's up there just now in Aug 2010 is excellent ) although if you go two weeks on the trot you may well notice that it doesn't change every week; excellent, accommodating service (for example my dining companion once bemoaned the fact a few years ago that they'd taken a particular favourite starter of hers off the menu and the response -- "No problem, just give us a ring one day before you're coming and we'll do one specially for you on the night!") and Gus and the female manager are professionalism personified. They know the limits of their kitchen and their waitstaff, often tweaking bookings by 15 mins or so when you call to avoid too many people ordering at the same time. Waitresses are always charming, attentive and polite (for example they apologise for interrupting before asking you if everything's ok). You even get the odd West Yorkshire celeb in. I would say that you have to book at the weekend as it is very rare for there to be any spare tables. Only one niggle: it certainly isn't cheap and if you push the boat out a bit with aperitifs, three courses, maybe a digestif afterwards and a decent bottle of vino (wine list is very good by the way) your bill can easily be nudging 100 quid for two. No service charge. All tips go to the waitresses. They even think on to warm the brandies before serving them.

2 Thank theoriginalsid

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Fairly good food, lacking atmosphere and waitress needs re-training!”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I have eaten at Bella Roma several times mostly with work but also on a couple of occasions of friend's birthdays. The food is on the whole pretty good, the quality and presentation is good and the portion size ample. The restaurant is however lacking in character and on my most recent two visits completely lacking in any atmosphere. I do not expect ambience on a lunchtime but on a Friday evening visit you would expect it. I have also on occasion found service slow, I do not mind waiting for food as it is cooked to order but I would like to be provided a drinks service.
The most recent lunch visit however was enough to put me off returning. Whilst I appreciate a certain amount of interaction with the waiting staff (this is good customer service) our waitress was over-bearing and continually involving herself in our conversation. In particular, she heard us talking about a nearby restaurant some of us had recently visited in a very positive light so she took it upon herself to begin slating the competitor (much of which was, we subsequently found out complete fabrication) and telling us that we shouldn't eat there again. She actually told us that environmental health had been involved with the competitor and they may be closed down when in fact they have a 5* hygiene rating - one more than Bella Roma! This is just one example of her over-bearing nature which has completely put us off the restaurant!

2 Thank rm2006
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Still good, but is starting to slip a little - cheeky little scam on the wine!”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Visited here end of July 2010 in a group for a friend’s birthday meal.

Layout still the same but the atmosphere seems to be lacking a little. Seven of us were put on a round table which would have been OK for five, but left us with little elbow room. This was exacerbated when people's starters arrived on a completely impractical long rectangular plate - nice to look at but I dine out for the food, not the post modern crockery!

Food was good, if not a little average and although home made the pizza did actually look a little too 'perfect' and just like something out of a Chicago town box!

Also - WATCH OUT FOR THE WINE SCAM - you ask for a large (250ml) glass and they bring you a small (175ml) glass, but always charge you for a large glass!!

When challenged they claimed you'd had a large glass but you only had to show them your (smaller) glass and they were caught out. Cheeky!

2 Thank Spoon235
Wakefield
“Very tasty food- great service!”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We ate here for my mother's 75th birthday and staff were really helpful, They made a real fuss of her- especially Gus- and served the cake we bought with a real sense of ceremony. Food was really tasty and the meal was excellent value. We will certainly go again.

1 Thank Froggetts
Yorkshire
“Excellent!”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Bella Roma is a wonderful restaurant. The food is delicious, the service is impeccable and the atmosphere is sophisticated yet friendly. I have eaten here on a number of occasions and the food has always been wonderful. The staff are helpful and friendly and there is a wide range of food. Highly recommended!