“Great North Run” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Spa Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
“Great North Run”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a package offered by the Great North Run for which you pay a flat fee for a night in a hotel and coach travel to the start the following morning.

The issue with this for us was that we were effectively arriving blind; the hotel was arranged as part of the package so we did not really know what to expect as we only had a name and address to go on. I think it is not unfair to say that the name does oversell the hotel a little as what it offers is good, basic accommodation at a reasonable price. 'Spa' suggests something rather different which I think is perhaps what we were expecting.

Something that lets the hotel down in the first instance is that it is very difficult to find, particularly at night as there is little street/outside lighting. The hotel is a converted military building and finds itself in the middle of an industrial estate between a double-glazed window company (complete with a large skip and various bits of window strewn outside) and half an aircraft which is used for staff training. In short, given our expectations based on the name, we wondered what on earth we had come to.

However, stepping inside our fears subsided somewhat as the welcome was very friendly and the reception area bright and fresh.

We were shown to our room (a sadly dying courtesy) and found that it had its ups and downs. The room was clean, the bedlinen and towels white and the bathroom spotless. However, the room was let down by the odd shade over the main light which cast the whole room in a pallid shade of sepia usually reserved for car parks and stairwells. This seems a minor gripe however it makes the room look gloomy and drab when you first walk in. Switching on the two wall lights and extinguishing the yellow peril really did make a difference and made the place much more inviting. Again, this is a question of first impressions which count for a lot with hotels.

The room and bathroom had false ceilings which I cannot stand however that is personal taste and it would be completely unfair to discredit the hotel on that basis. That said, a couple of tiles were stained in the bathroom which did not look great and could easily be fixed in a few minutes.

The bed was comfortable but it was extraordinarily creaky - I was scared to turn over in case I woke up the incumbents of the room next door. This was not an unfounded fear as I was treated to a delightful soundscape of their evening ablutions through what must be a very thin wall between our bathroom and theirs. Noise from within notwithstanding, the hotel is generally very quiet due to its location. We did hear the 6am departure go over as we were already awake however I don't think it would have been sufficiently loud to wake us up.

The shower - over a bath - was excellent with a very strong jet of good hot water bursting forth almost as soon as it was turned on. Toiletries were provided - Travelodge take note - and the towels sufficient to protect the modesty of this 16 stone, 6'3" lump (who was, perhaps unsurprisingly, only accompanying a runner).

Breakfast was a simple continental affair with a selction of cereals, fruit, yoghurt and toast. This was ample for us as we were up very early - it should be noted that the hotel had started serving specially at 4.45 to cater for runners which was much appreciated. The owner was also kindly giving people lifts to the coach pick-up point at a nearby hotel in his own minibus, something which he did not have to do.

To sum up, if you arrive expecting decent quality, if basic, accommodation with a cheery welcome from a friendly owner and a bite to eat in the morning you will not be disappointed. Don't let the location put you off.

*As a footnote - as has been mentioned by others there is indeed a large Alsatian which wanders about the corridors. Its presence was not mentioned when we checked in and we first saw it on our way to breakfast. It didn't bother us as we are dog owners and, to be fair, it hardly even looked at us as we passed. However, those who dislike dogs or have small children might be discouraged by its presence.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank exbarman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Took my family to Tee side for a wedding, five of us in total. Very friendly owners and hotel comfortable, quiet and clean. Well recommended. It is next to the airport but is very quiet and hardly noticeable. Slightly off the main track but worth searching out as good value for money

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at The Spa Hotel for 5 nights which I paid just under £35 per night. The hotel was very clean and my room was also very clean with a flat screen LCD freeview Tv + WiFi. What suprised me was there was a bath and a shower in my room which I thought was unusual but a nice touch. There are plenty of parking spaces too so I didn't have to pay for any car parking charges. To sum it up this is the best hotel I have stayed in for the price as I do a lot of travelling with my work. Also the staff where very friendly and I would recommend anyone on a budget who wants a nice quiet hotel to stay here. I have stayed in hotels in this area before which have been nearly double the price and nowhere near as good value as money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Christ0Z
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a clean but basic hotel, the carpet in our room was badly stained but the rest of the room was fine. The beds were comfy but there as a shortage of pillows. As we went as a family our daughter and her children had a family room which was much better than ours, their bathroom was also better, as the sink in our bathroom was extremely small.
The restaurant was closed on the evening we stayed, even though it was a Saturday evening, we therefore had to eat in the bar area, the meal was of good quality and reasonably priced. Breakfast was quite poor, very little choice, the cereal appeared to be of a cheap variety as was the yoghurts. Again the restaurant was closed and breakfast was also taken in the bar area.
The hotel is also well off the beaten track, took us a while to locate it and well away from the centre of Darlington. Unsure if we will be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband & children for one night & paid £45.
RECEPTION - the reception is manned by the owners. When we arrived we were shown how to open the main door if it was locked & then shown to our room. Nothing else was mentioned, nothing about facilities, food or offers of assistance if we had any questions!! I'm sure if the facilities such as food & bar were pointed out to guests more people would eat & drink there. We felt a bit uneasy after being led to our room with no such thing as a smile or offer of food or facilities. Maybe the owners are only friendly to certain people!
ROOM- the room we had was nice enough, not massive but quite spacious. The tv had quite a lot of free view channels & had a good picture. It was only a small tv, but it was a modern flat screen tv. There was a dressing table & chair, but no hair dryer. The bed was very comfy divan bed, but was very creaky. The bed linen & towels were like new & very clean. There were two pillows each, but they were very flat. The main problem with the room was the paper thin curtains, they let every bit of light through them. The rooms need lined curtains or even better blackout curtains. We had a good sleep though as it was quiet in the hotel.
BATHROOM - the bathroom was a bit dated & it could of done with regrouting, but it served us fine. We paid £45, so we were not expecting luxury! The shower was very powerful & there was always hot water. The shower was over a bath with a glass shower screen.
LOCATION - the hotel is located next to teesside airport & on an old air base. There's nothing to do there but if you have your own transport it is not a problem. Darlington is just a few miles away, Middleton st George village is just down the road & has a pub & shops and the hotels its just a few minutes drive from the A66. Even though its next to airport it was very quiet. We didn't have a problem finding it. There were more signs for the st George hotel, so we followed them & just carried on past that hotel to the spa hotel.
FOOD - as mentioned we never got told about food available, but we did see a restaurant room that looked quite nice & a bar. There was a list of bar snacks in the room that all seemed very reasonably priced. Breakfast was never mentioned to us, so we didn't know if it was included or not as I booked the room direct. So we never went for breakfast at the hotel, we went to a nearby morrisons cafe for a cooked breakfast.
OVERALL - I would stay at this hotel again as its close to the A66 with easy access the nearby attractions or motorways if you are just stopping off during a journey. It was very reasonably priced & nice enough. The dog that was mentioned didn't put us off. She was big, but also old & very friendly. I never saw dog hairs all over as mentioned in another review & it spent most of the time outside or behind the reception desk.

• Stayed August 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night on our way to York. We received a friendly welcome when we arrived just after 10pm. The room was clean and fresh looking. Although, there was no hairdryer as stated (Luckily, I had brought my own just in case). The bathroom was clean and a good size. One problem we had were the curtains, they were extremely thin and let loads of light in. Fortunately, we found a dark coloured blanket which we threw over the curtain pole, therefore making the room much darker. I was a little disappointed with the continental breakfast as I'm pretty sure the cornflakes were a cheap brand. As others have mentioned, it is hard to find this hotel due to lack of sign posts. I would advise anyone staying here to look it up on Googlemaps first to make life easier. All in all though, it was a comfortable stay at a good price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were passing through on our way to Edinburgh. From pictures this place look nice and tidy. What a disappointment. The room was enormous with little furniture and extremely dirty carpet. The TV was the size of a laptop screen, placed on the higher corner of the room, looking as a spider web. Was so small and far from the bed that I wasn't able to ready any texts. I forgot my white trousers there but they did not remember finding anything after we left.
The breakfast was poor, with only one staff doing everything. She was doing her best, I was admiring her efforts. The bed was uncomfortable but clean
This place is very poor however with a little bit of effort and paying attention to details can be a much better place.

Room Tip: Do not expect too much from this room.