“Does what it says on the tin”
Review of Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery
Ranked #99 of 289 Restaurants in Darlington
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Darlington. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Darlington’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We found the Toby Carvery to be exactly what we expected. Our waiter was friendly and helpful and the restaurant clean and not too busy. The tables are close so I wouldn't be keen on being in it at peak times.

The food is exactly what you want from a carvery. Good veggie options too. Everything hot and well prepared. No soggy veg and choice of gravy sauces etc including veggie. Will return for a no nonsense dinner.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at the Darlington Travelodge, so ate at the Toby Carvery next door - both dinner and breakfast. Both were very good. Food was lovely, and breakfast is especially great value with an 'all you can eat' buffet. Staff were friendly and helpful, and it was very clean. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went to Toby in Romford, Essex, for lunch at the father's day weekend. We tried to get a voucher for a free ice cream but were unable due to their computers being down due to them choosing this weekend to do maintenance work on their system. I managed to get 2 free ice creams after complaining. My son ordered the vegetarian lasange and it was so tiny that it was gone before I could blink. The Carvery is definetely smaller, less vegetables, no mash and less meat. I saw the Manager and told him I wasn't happy and said I should of told him at the time. If I would of done that I would of been calling the Manager over every 5 minutes. Didn't want to argue but thought he would of given my son a free vegetarian meal for another time. He didn't and just said thanks for telling me. Not good enough, we are good customers but won't be coming again unless I hear of improvements.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

When your raison d'etre is providing roast dinners one would expect half decent meat. Both my wife and I had the beef which was fatty and chewy. The vegetables were not great, the overall meal was a major disappointment. Also the cost of a lemonade was extraordinary, fair enough it is refillable but I cannot imagine the circumstances where I would need more than a pint of lemonade with a meal.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Called in to have dinner here May 17th warm welcomw greeted us by the barman James.
Food was of a high standard that you should expect from a carvery