“Outstanding”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked as I had been before with friends and thought it was amazing, the second time did not disappoint. We both had a fabulous 3 course meal which the husband said was the best meal of his life, a bottle of wine and 2 bottles of lager. Our bill came to less than £90 and we thought it was exceptional value. Truffle is just what maybe town needs.

darlington
“Quite new but very nice.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Because of the recent inclement weather i decided to eat in town. This turned out to be not only a wise decision but a very fruitful one. Truffle has been open for only a few months, I think that it has however raised the bar for eating out in "Darlo"! I understand that the chef spent time at Terry Laybourns the number one restaurant in Newcastle (21 Queen St.) an that quality is reflected in the cooking. No sign of chunky chips but more "haut cuisine" My crab starter and Duck breast were both delicious as was my desert! The menu is quite short with about 6 starters and a similar number of main courses and deserts. All were beautifully presented which is such an important aspect of a god meal. The wine list is quite extensive and goes from modest and cheerful to Krug and dom pe`rignom at the top end. The sommelier is a real enthusiast. All round this was for me a lovely meal.

1 Thank peter34darlington
durham
“A dining delicacy”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Surprised by the quality of this relatively new Darlington establishment. My partner and I booked a week ahead for a Saturday night dinner. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Food could not be faulted. We enjoyed the salt baked celeriac with truffle mayonnaise and pickled trompettes. The main course was rib eye beef in a red wine sauce with bone marrow. More and more we find steaks bland even in the best restaurants and for that reason we normally stay clear of them. However we were glad we changed our minds this time around. The desserts were great too.

The wee bar at the top of the restaurant and I emphasise the "wee" is cosy and ideal for couples, though it couldn't hold more than two or three couples at a time. Following the dinner we enjoyed our coffee and chocolates there and talking to the young barman who was refreshingly honest telling us that they were doing well but perhaps could make some more improvements about the place.

We have enjoyed the Orangery at Rockliffe Hall a few times over the years. The food served there is delicious too but the place is too formal for our taste. From now on if in the area we would rather frequent this friendly, unpretentious, little delight of a restaurant.

1 Thank Coffeeprincess
Darlington
“Special Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Visited here last Sunday and had the beef Sunday lunch. Something special, the beef was cooked to perfection and the taste was wonderful. This was complimented with season vegetables. This is must visit, if a little more expensive than other restaurants. But it is worth it. The staff and manager are very attentive and knowledgeable, with nothing being too much trouble. Highly recommended

north east England
“Quality dining experience”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Group of 6 for birthday meal. Starters were a little dissapointing, I ordered pigs cheek with salt cod and potato croquette. However the pigs cheek was infact a crab stick sized terrine/pate type of thing. Tasty, but not what I expected. The duck was to die for, and steak, according to my other half was lovely. Others had the venison carpaccia, which they felt was drowned in vinegarette. The portions are "petite" so those with a big appetite should take advantage of the fee flowing bread basket. Great wine choices, and knowledgeable staff. Overall a lovely meal for special occasion.