“lovely hotel but very disappointed with the 4 poster bed !!!”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
South Shields, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel but very disappointed with the 4 poster bed !!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

had a stay here on Saturday 28th september for my husbands 60th birthday,loved the hotel but very disappointed with the 4 posted bed in our room.Having chosen the type of room very carefully ,it creaked and squeaked every time we moved to the point that it frequently woke one of us up when the other was turning over.Only there one night and didnt go to bed until almost midnight so not much we could do about it then ,but did tell receptionist when checking out that it sounded like it needed a good overhaul .Both came home extremely tired and agreed that we had a rotten nights sleep mostly due to the noisy creaky bed.Shame as it was a special weekend for us and the rest of it was lovely .Room 52 if anyone from the hotel is reading this ! may save someone else from having a sleepless night if you either replace or repair it !!!

Room Tip: try your bed straight away if you are having a 4 posted bed room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear glynis o

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington to celebrate your husband's birthday. I was pleased to read that you 'loved the hotel' but would like to offer my apologies that you were not able to enjoy a full nights sleep.
Our 4 poster bedroom is one of the most popular rooms in the Hotel and the feedback from fellow travellers is always so positive about the room and I have not had any negative feedback about the bed before, however, I want to offer my assurance that I have had my maintenance team work on the bed to address any issues.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I do hope that you would stay with us again.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

What an amazing spacious room! The bedroom was large, bright and airy. The bathroom was equally large, white and very clean. The bed was comfy and it was easy to connect to WiFi in the room. Considering there was a wedding on at the hotel, there wasn't too much noise (although the wedding party did use the garden area below our window for a little while). The only slightly disappointing aspect was the evening meal at Maxine's - the set menu sounded good but the quality was a little ordinary (meat was quite dry and tasteless). Breakfast in the morning was better. Front reception staff were very efficient and accommodating ensuring both check-in and check-out happened quickly and also calling a taxi for us on departure. The Bannatyne was a comfortable place to stay for a night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WA_LCD
Dear WA_LCD

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay with us. Your room was in the older part of the building where the rooms offer spacious accommodation and original features.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the Hotel and I am glad you were able to make the most of this complimentary service.
We strive to ensure that all guests feel special and that all their needs are catered to at all times, even when hosting a wedding celebration and I am thrilled that this was your experience and that you found all the reception staff to be so efficient.
I am sorry that your evening meal did not meet your expecations, feedback from our in house restaurant is usually of the highest standard.

Thank you again for taking the time to share yout feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights and everything was to our satisfaction, however the room was on the small side but well decorated and comfortable bed. Restaurant offered a good selection of dishes to a reasonable price. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pia M

Thank you for taking the time to share your thougths following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that everything, during your mini break was to your satisfaction, including our decor, selection of food and that you found the staff to be so helpful.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had a family birthday celebration meal in The Library on Friday 13th Sept.
Food, service and atmosphere as good as ever, especially as there was a wedding on and other parties.Background music a nice touch. Food was hot and well presented with a good menu choice.
The staff are so efficient and friendly which is much appreciated. Reception staff very helpful re booking.
Hope to try afternoon tea soon.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Carol238

Thank you for your kind review following your family birthday celebration held in The Library. We have a number of private dining rooms and I do feel that the intimacy and atmosphere provided , enhance any dining experience.

As a regular visitor to the Hotel I am thrilled you have consistently enjoyed friendly service and quality food.

Thank you again for the time taken to write your review and I do hope you visit again soon to enjoy our fabulous Afternoon Tea..it is a real treat.

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I've recently stayed in a few 4* hotels recently and although the Bannatyne was nice enough in many aspects, it wasn't as good as the others,

The decor is a bit OTT and old-fashioned. As you enter reception there is a menacing photo of Duncan Bannatyne on the wall! Not the friendliest of welcomes! The check in was straight forward and friendly.

The bedroom was a good size and VERY clean. However it was very awkward to get into due to the close proximity of the wardrobe. I struggled to get my suitcase in and out and room service struggled to get in with the food tray. I found it very strange that there was no extractor fan in the bathroom and steam filled the bedroom after a shower. The traffic noise was loud but did quieten down after 10/11pm but not enough to open the window. The curtains didn't block out enough light either. The bedroom doors slam very loudly too and as one guest got back from a night out at 3am his door slammed, waking me up and I could then hear 'him' having a pee! Thin walls! So my sleep wasn't great.

The food was well presented and good value for money. The breakfast was excellent, good choice and everything tasted great.

Check out was slow as they added somebody else's massive food bill to my bill.They were very apologetic but it did cause a delay when I was already late.

I think I would try another hotel in the area next time but if I went back here I would insist on a room at the back of the hotel in the hope of a better night's sleep.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in a room at the front, the traffic noise is constant and means you can't open t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear TweetyPie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
We are very proud of our AA rated 4* status and we believe that the standards of customer service, food quality and accommodation that we offer represent this rating. Our decor and styling mostly attract compliments and positive feedback but I am sorry if this was not to your liking.

We have available 60 bedrooms, each varying in style, location and size and a bedroom at the rear of the Hotel can be requested although rooms at the front of the hotel are sold every day and noise disturbance is not reported.

I am delighted that you were impressed with our standards of cleanliness, food quality and that any confusion with your bill was dealt with apologetically.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again and that a bedroom at the rear of the Hotel fulfils your needs and that you will leave feeling, as many guestss do, that we are the best place to stay in Darlington.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had my wedding here and such a perfect location. From the beautiful decor from inside and out. The staff were so helpful and my day was perfect. Highly recommend having a wedding / birthday / anything you want to celebrate or just even a meal or over night stay. Just perfect

• Stayed August 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Lorraine O

Thank you so much for your fantastic review following your lovely wedding day at the Hotel. I was delighted to read your feedback and to know that your day was ‘perfect’ is so rewarding for us.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, I look forward to sharing your comments with the team who worked that day.

yorkshire
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Thursday 22/08/13 for our 5th wedding anniversary. We booked a spa day and the hotel package together. This included a spa day with massages and then an evening meal.
We had the spa first which is in Bannatynes Spa leisure complex next to his headquarters and I must say I was impressed with the facilities.
Everything you need of a sports complex with the added extras of the spa area too. We especially enjoyed the relaxation room with the hot tile beds and water beds with complimentary drinks and fruit. A very enjoyable way to chill out after one of their many massages.
We stayed nearly a full day in the spa and even had a break and ate in the restaurant which was very nice food at a very competitive prices!!
On checking into the hotel (which is a 2 minute drive from the leisure facilities) we were greeted with "Happy anniversary" from the reception staff and told that they had upgraded our room to an executive suite. ON arrival in our room we had a lovely anniversary card from the hotel which I thought was a very nice touch.
The room was very large with a king size bed. The views were overlooking the lovely gardens at the rear of the hotel.
Everything you need from an executive room was catered for.
We dined in the hotels restaurant and I can say the food was absolutely devine!! Highly recommend the food. Staff at the hotel were excellent and all were pleasant and courteous to us throughout our stay.
We stayed in the hotel during the evening and they even have a late bar for guests only which is very nice if your not up early!
Breakfast was again very enjoyable and catered for pretty much any breakfast imaginable.
Overall a BRILLIANT stay and would definitely return for the hotel and spa again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear travellingstu

I was delighted to read you review regarding your stay with us. I am thrilled that everything from the customer service, room standards, food quality and spa experience led to you having a superb anniversary experience.

Having a state of the art of the art Health Club offering fantastic gym, spa and relaxation facilities, just nearby is the perfect way to enhance any stay at the Hotel and I so pleased that you were able to take advantage of this.

To know that your stay was ‘BRILLIANT’ is so rewarding for us and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to seeing you again on your next anniversary, if not before.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,067 reviews

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!