“Got a very good value stay”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Herts, UK
“Got a very good value stay”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I spent a night here on a spa break which cost £87.20 for both of us (on a 20% off stays in July deal available on the hotel website). This included an overnight stay with breakfast, 2 course dinner with coffee, and a 15 min spa treatment, and use of the leisure club facilities all day on day of arrival and departure. We decided to pay an extra £10 to upgrade to a deluxe room. We then paid an additional £16 each for an extra 30 minute treatment each which was also very good value.

We were very impressed with the deluxe room, it was huge, in the oldest part of the hotel, with an enormous antique brass bed, and separate seating area. They forgot our complimentary fruit and chocolates but the receptionist couldn't apologise more when I mentioned this (I'm not one to pass up a freebie!) and this was sent up. She checked we had our complimentary bottled water in the room (I'm glad about this as the cold water tap int he room took ages to run to anything approaching cold, I wouldn't have wanted to drink from it!). Reception was very helpful and polite at all times.

Free and fast wi-fi throughout the hotel.

We knew that the leisure club was a few minutes drive away from the hotel website so this did not surprise us. It's not really a spa that you can lounge around in, it has a nice pool with small sauna, and steam room like any gym, and a decent gym and then some treatment rooms. The classes were included and I did a yoga class. We also had lunch there and the food and prices were reasonable. We spent several hours int he leisure club on both days, so got our money's worth.

The two course meal I would describe as acceptable and good value considering the overall price we paid, but not fine dining. The portions were large which was good. A big roast for my husband, he's easily pleased with a plate of meat and decent portion size. Lovely homemade olive bread was a nice touch. I had fish, the sort of meal I could cook easily at home, but in nice surroundings and served to me. The service was a bit hit and miss, I asked for tap water to start and a wine list, but only a drinks list from the bar was given that didn't include wine and the waitress bizarrely took the wine glasses away without asking if we wanted wine. Drinks were pretty pricey.

Breakfast in the morning was great, prompt service for tea/coffee and taking our cooked breakfast order, and a good selection for the continental buffet.

Overall, I would say this was a good stay and very good value considering we paid less than £50 a head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear sooticaHerts

Thank you for feedback following your recent spa break with us. I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of one of our many great spa break deals. Your room was upgraded to one of our executive rooms, which offer larger bedrooms with a seating area, situated in the older part of the building. I am sorry that your complimentary fruit basket was not present upon arrival but I am pleased this was rectified quickly for you.

Bannatyne Health Club, Darlington is situated less than a mile away and offers state of the art facilities for hotel guests to enjoy, complimentary and I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy these facilities on both days.

In Maxine’s restaurant we aim to deliver a varied menu, quality produce at competitive prices and I am pleased that overall you this to be ‘good value’ and satisfying portion sizes. I am sorry if the table service was not as attentive as it should have been and this is an area I will discuss with my team.

I am pleased that breakfast offered you an efficient service with a great selection of food and I hope that this set you up for your journey home.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
LONDON
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

friendly staff, slickly run hotel. I was having a glass of wine at the bar before dinner and asked for some nuts - as per last visit, barman came back with 3 large bowls, one each with nuts, crisps and olives - all complimentary - little quality touches you remember.
Room was really spacious, tastefully decorated, high ceilings, spotless, really hot day meant that the fan came in handy.
Food was as good as ever, the rollmops starter with cucumber and lime mayo is one I have nicked for at home. And I couldn't fault the steak.
Breakfast as good as I had expected it to be.
I don't bother ever looking for anywhere else when in Darlington, this would always be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear MARKDL995

Thank you so much for your second review of the hotel. As a returning guest I am delighted that you have experienced consistency in the standards of customer service, food quality and room presentation.
I look forward to sharing your feedback regarding your meal with our kitchen team and I know they will be delighted that their rollmop starter now features in your home.

I am thrilled that we remain your Hotel of choice and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Visiting friends for a birthday party. For once we didn't have the kids with us! The initial room we had was okay but was not huge, overlooked the main road and there was a foul odour, like the drain wasn't working properly. However, I went straight back to the reception and told them about the smell and we were able to change rooms immediately with no fuss. The second room was much better - more spacious with views over garden. Clean, large en suite bathroom. It was very warm in the room too. Great for Winter but not so sure about the Summer.

Staff at the front desk were helpful and polite. Breakfast service was good. The hotel is also in a good location. It provided good value for money.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms in the older part of the hotel with views over the back garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tired_travelling_dad

Thank you for your recent review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I know, only too, well how rare the opportunities are to enjoy some time away without the children and I am so pleased that after your room change, everything was to your satisfaction.
I appreciate with our current ‘summer spell’ we are all feeling the heat on an evening and we therefore equip each room with a fan so that guests can try to achieve a cooler temperature in the room.

Your review summaries so much of what we aim to deliver; friendly customer service, efficient restaurant service, great location and value for money. I would also like to offer my assurances that the issue with the drainage has been resolved.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to seeing you again...perhaps with the children as we offer family accommodation and the gardens are great for the children to enjoy.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited the hotel with my family for afternoon tea and what a fabulous hotel. The food was great and was well worth the money. The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We spent a lot of the afternoon in the beautiful gardens as it was a gorgeous day. We had a lovely relaxed afternoon and I would highly recommend this hotel. 5 star service.

• Stayed July 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Becks168

I was delighted to read your feedback following your family’s afternoon with us. Our Afternoon Tea package has been redesigned and we are getting fantastic feedback regarding the quality., portion size and value for money. I am thrilled that you all enjoyed the food and that this was coupled with attentive service. The gardens at the Hotel are somewhat of a hidden gem as guests don’t expect such large and beautiful ground to surround a town centre hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you back at the hotel, in the gardens, very soon.

Newton Aycliffe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had our wedding ceremony/wedding breakfast and night do here. It was perfect from start to finish. Couldn't pick one fault (and believe me I normally do). The rooms are lovely, garden beautiful, it really doesn't feel like you are in the middle of town.

The staff were so friendly and nothing was a hassle for them, so many of our guests commented on how fantastic the staff were, that the food was delicious and how relaxed the whole day was.

Jade, our wedding co-ordinator was brilliant, very accommodating, friendly and efficient, she helped us get our wedding exactly how we wanted it, she was very patient with us. The toastmaster Vicky, again, was great, she kept our day nice and relaxed, just as we'd asked her to and made sure everything ran smoothly.

If you are looking for somewhere very classy without being snobby this is the place for you.

Susie and Matty

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susie M
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Susie M

Thank you for your fantastic feedback regarding your ‘perfect’ wedding experience at the Hotel. You describe so accurately everything we work hard to deliver to our guests; lovely rooms, beautiful gardens, delicious food and ‘fantastic’ staff. Thank you for your comments regarding Jade, Events Manager, who is here every step of the way leading upto the wedding, to ensure everything is as the bridal party want and I am delighted that this was your experience and I look forward to sharing this feedback with the team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to seeing you both back at the Hotel in the future.

Jackfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Its almost a tale of two hotels. The room we upgraded to was wonderful with the best bath and shower I have ever used in any hotel. The bed was comfortable and the decor was unusual - miles away from the usual 4 star hotel - fun, quirky and classy. The staff were brilliant. I mean really brilliant. Professional but very friendly, warm, efficient and very very clued up on customer service. Maybe its the management or maybe its the region - it is a truly hospitable part of the world. The building is beautiful - and the garden is just lovely to dine in. When we stayed there was a fire alarm around 7pm and the staff team - and in particular restaurant manager David - handled everything very well. I wanted so much to give everyone at Bannatynes 5 stars and so I have .... but I do have one problem with the place: the food is poor. Really poor. 2 out of three breakfasts were inedible, I had one ok-ish dinner and one horrendous dinner during my stay. I was facilitating a corporate event there. In terms of this the staff were great. Last minute changes to the room were accommodated with a smile. but again, the buffet lunch was scrappy and - well odd. I don't expect to find in the middle of a buffet of sandwiches, salad and ham a plate of halved burned yorkshire puddings with cold gravy and a basket of frozen chips. There is only this one area of the hotel that was poor - and it was very poor. With some talent and flair in the kitchen, given the first class produce available in the NorthEast Bannatynes would be at the top of any national list of hotels. I am really sorry to be critical - and at least one of my meals was fully refunded with no questions asked. I hope it will tell you something of the overall quality of the Bannatynes Darlington offer that I'm still giving it 5 out of 5 anyway. I would go back again. But please, sort the kitchen out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SevernTrow
Dear SevernTrow

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay with us and your comments regarding the rooms, the gardens, the decor and the ‘brilliant staff’, this really does mean so much to us and I couldn’t wait to share your thoughts with the team.
It is also fantastic to know that a situation as disruptive as a fire alarm sounding, was handled so professionally by the team.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies that you experienced with your meals and buffet provisions. This is unusual feedback for the restaurant as we have built up a solid reputation in the local area for delivering excellent food. I apologise again that this was not your experience and I will discuss each point in detail with my kitchen team.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to seeing you both back at the Hotel very soon.

darlo
Reviewed July 10, 2013

had our wedding breakfast and evening disco and buffet here in july the weather was beautiful our wedding planner Jade and all the staff made our wedding day perfect we stayed at the hotel also the night before and on our wedding night the rooms were spotless and everything was of the highest standard. we recommend this hotel to anyone who is getting married or to anyone who just wants somewhere to stay if they are in the area. keith and liz.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear degsyDarlo

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback following your special day at the Hotel. I am thrilled that you were so pleased with all aspects of your stay and wedding day, including the helpful staff and spotless rooms. I am delighted that the weather was superb also, as it allows the wedding party to be able enjoy our beautiful gardens and patio areas.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to seeing you both again ....your anniversary perhaps!