“Fantastic day and perfect start to married life!”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Fantastic day and perfect start to married life!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We got married at Bannatyne Hotel on October 6th and we can honestly say it was the best day of our lives! From the moment we walked into Bannatyne we knew it was the place for us and the fantastic service we had on the day confirmed this. Every email I sent and every question I asked (no matter how ridiculous!) was answered in full and promptly even though our wedding co-ordinator Jade must have been busy, this just made us feel even more valued and more special. We travelled down to the hotel for our menu tasting and the food was out of this world. I was a little concerned that the portions may be a bit small as is the way at some hotels now but I was worrying over nothing. The starters were just enough to fill you without spoiling the main course and the sticky toffee pudding was to die for!
We arrived at the hotel the day before the wedding and by tea time had taken over the bar but the staff weren't phased at all and continued to offer fantastic - and quick - service. The rooms for both the service and the wedding breakfast were set up exactly how we wanted them, we wouldn't have changed a thing.
Breakfast was delivered to my suite on the morning of the wedding which meant I could enjoy a relaxing English breakfast before starting to get ready.
I’d like to give a special mention to our wonderful toast master. Victoria was amazing and made sure the day went off without a hitch, she calmed me down before I walked down the aisle and most importantly made sure I had a glass of wine in my hand before telling me the wrong flowers had been delivered. Even this didn't put a dampener on the day and the room looked so beautiful I didn't care. The food was out of this world, the service was fantastic and the staff – in particular Andy, who was my personal Prosecco waiter and Jamie who put up with a lot of grief from me about his quiff! – were wonderful. Your staff genuinely seemed to take pleasure in being part of our big day. I would absolutely recommend your hotel to anyone looking for a wedding venue in the region and only wish we could do it all over again but even then I wouldn't change a thing!
The only thing that arose from the weekend is that one of our guests was in a room next to the boiler which was quite noisy and so kept them awake most of the night. They spoke to the hotel directly about this and were refunded the cost of their room in full showing what great customer service you offer.
Thank you, thank you and thank you again for giving us the perfect start to married life. We’ll absolutely be returning to Bannatyne for our first anniversary in October

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Emma S

Thank you for your fantastic feedback regarding your special day, held at the Hotel. Weddings are one of the most delightful aspects of what we do here and we all endeavour to ensure that each bride feels special, her every need catered to, the food served is of the highest quality, guests receive excellent customer service and that everything on the day is perfect. I was delighted to read your review as it is clear that we achieved this on your day.
Thank you for the special mention of individual staff who made such a positive contribution to your day and I look forward to sharing this feedback with them.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts about your time with us and I look forward to welcoming you both back to the Hotel in the future.....your anniversary perhaps!

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I don't believe Mr Bannatyne can have stayed here recently otherwise he may be concerned about his name being linked with both the standard of accomodation and some of the customer service. We stayed for one night when attending a wedding in May. Originally we were shown to room 33, the 'only' 'family' room. It was up a narrow staircase, impossible to get a buggy to, with no lift access. The room had a strange configuration which meant the only window was behind an internal wall/ It was stuffily hot and there was a thick layer of dust on the top of the bed head, picture frames and light bulbs. We complained to reception three times before being offered another room, and then no one helped us transfer our luggage and we were left to lug it all back down the stairs - a nightmare with 2 children under 4.
The second room was better, but the curtain had ripped from a couple of rings on the curtain pole and the furniture looked worn and slighly worse for wear. Breakfast was amusing, in that when we asked for tomato sauce the waiter went and retrieved a gravy boat of tomato sauce from a neighbouring table and plonked it on ours - apparently the tomato sauce was communal! At least however the waiter was present which is more than could be said for the bar staff for large periods of the prior evening.
To be fair reception staff were always very friendly, but this is not a boutique, or chic hotel - the threadbare carpet on the main stairs gives this away when you arrive!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S D
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear S D
As a 4 star hotel offering a range of 60 bedrooms and having developed a reputation for excellent customer service, I was very disappointed to read your review and to know that your stay did not meet your expectations.
We have a designated family room but we are also able to introduce extra beds into our larger rooms. When you advised reception that your room was not suitable for you, we immediately offered an upgrade to an executive room and arranged additional beds. I would like to note that following your feedback regarding the cleanliness we thoroughly inspected the room and were unable to locate any of the reported dust. We receive positive feedback, on a regular basis, regarding the room you were moved to and cannot concur that the furniture or decor is ’worse for wear’.
Whilst we do not have a porter at the hotel, all of the staff would be more than happy to assist any guests with their luggage when needed or requested.
During breakfast, we make available tomato and brown sauce, and a large pot of each is placed on the buffet table, for guests to help themselves to. Due to the relatively low demand for the sauces, this has always proved sufficient and has never invited comment before.
We monitor our staff levels very carefully and we ensure that areas are manned at all times, especially the bars during busy functions, I therefore find it very unusual that you found the bar unattended for an extended period of time.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay but I do not feel your feedback and experience warrants the poor review you have provided.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed one night on a business trip. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room comfortable and well equipped. It's an older building, with more character than most and kept in good repair.

Minor niggles: the WiFi made changes to my computer and I had to delete browser history afterwards to get rid of them. This is not on. The cooked breakfast was OK, but not quite up to quality of the rest of the stay.

Overall good value and I would stay there again.

Note The Bannatyne is tucked away round the corner right at the end of Southend Avenue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Badelynge

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent business stay with us. I am delighted that you are satisfied with so many elements of your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I offer my apologies for any issues with our free Wifi, this service is available to all guests and usually operates without incident. I have forwarded your comments to our IT department for their consideration.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here or 1 night as part of a Hen spa doo! The reception staff were very warm an welcoming, and first impressions of the exterior and interior of the hotel were very good. It's a lovely character building, with a warm and welcoming atmosphere inside. We enjoyed a lovely spa treatment at the nearby gym. This was then followed by a lovely and plentiful afternoon tea back at the hotel. We had dinner in a lovely private room. He food was really good quality, and at £18 or 3 courses represented very good value. Breakfast was buffet style, and choices of hot and cold food were very good. all of he staff were very happy to help and seemed to really enjoy woking there. i really couldn't fault this hotel, and we all had a very good time. I would definetely recommend and return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lyn17

I was thrilled to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and it sounds like your party had the opportunity to enjoy all aspects of a Spa Break here, including the treatment, food and afternoon tea! We pride ourselves in offering beautiful surroundings, excellent customer service, quality food and all at a competitive price and I am delighted that this was your experience.
It is so rewarding to the team here to know that you “couldn’t fault the Hotel” and we look forward to seeing you back here soon.

Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Whenever we are in Darlington, we stay at Bannatyne's and it never disappoints. Clean, comfortable, good food, good service, good prices, excellent location, what more could you want? Although the health club/spa is not located on premises, it's an easy walk and well worth going. We'll be back in Darlington again and will look forward to being welcomed by familiar faces!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nottinghall

Thank you for your concise and positive review regarding your many stays with us. As a returning traveller it is fantastic to know that we are delivering “Clean, comfortable, good food, good service, good prices, excellent location”
And as you say “what more can you ask for”

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was the first time we stayed here and we felt warmly welcomed. Very well maintained hotel and restaurant, where the food and service also matched up. Will definitely be returning in the near future and would recommend this place to others.

Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear James S

Thank you for your review following your first stay with us. I am delighted that your arrival was greeted with a warm welcome and that your found the hotel to offer well maintained facilities. We want all guests to enjoy our relaxed atmosphere, quality food and efficient customer service and it would appear that we achieved all of these elements during your stay.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have been using this Hotel on and off since about 2007 and have always had a soft spot for it. It is one of those hotels that just seems to work. It is getting a little bit worn and would benefit from a bit of redecoration here and the, but it is still a great place to stay. A nice old house with character and style, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, clean, free wifi, decent shower, nice breakfast cooked to order.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kahjm
Dear kahjm

Thank you for your kind review. As a regular guest over the last 6 years, your feedback is invaluable to us. It is rewarding for us to know that our efforts to deliver consistent standards of cleanliness, customer service and a relaxed atmosphere are appreciated. I hope you will remain a visitor here for many years to come.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!