“Stay here for central Darlington and swimming pool”

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Stay here for central Darlington and swimming pool”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just stayed one night on business - perfect location with easy walk to conference venue The Dolphin. This also happens to be Darlington's public swimming pool so I was able to take a pre-breakfast swim there - it opens at 6:30am and is as close as some country house hotel pools!

Service, room and staff were also fine. Only minor problem could have been noisy heating system outside my third floor room but I'm not too sensitive to stop me sleeping. (Also there is a church with regular chimes that come through the double-glazing!)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay . The Dolphin centre is very close and they have gym also that guests can use. I am sorry you were disturbed by some external noise but not please to see it did not affect your sleep.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had booked an upgraded room but it didnt have a walk-in shower, reception were happy to offer me a refurbished room with one and as it was a standard room, reduced the rate by more than the extra I had paid.
Nice hotel, good location, easy parking, but a bit of a rabbit-warren of corridors! Good meal in the restaurant, friendly and helpful restaurant staff. Good nights sleep, although the antics of a rugby team staying meant we were woken up a few times in the night! Reception staff were apologetic and friendly.Overall a decent stay for the price, would recommend + stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your request for a specific room and the staff particularly in the restaurant and at reception were so helpful and friendly. I'm so pleased this is your second visit and you will be staying with us when you next visit the area.
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

First impressions of this hotel were dire. I arrived after a long drive which followed an even longer working day. Having found the hotel I went in to find out what the parking arrangements were leaving colleagues in their cars. For a large'ish hotel the reception desk wasn't apparent and un-manned at 7.30. I leaned over the desk to check if this was in fact reception - which prompted a lady to emerge from behind a door and ask me not to lean over the desk as there might be confidential information. No welcome or hello, and the chastisement continued for some minutes. Absolutely the last thing I needed after a long journey. You'd never have thought I was the customer. This was a complete contrast to my previous nights stay in a Premier Inn where check in was simple and I felt like a valued customer.
The experience improved after that but check in took longer than seemed necessary.
My room was ok but the bathroom was very badly designed and the shower tray failed to drain and flooded the bathroom. I had to use most of my towels to mop up the resulting water on the floor. There was mould surrounding the windows too.
We ate dinner in the hotel but again service wasn't great and food poor.
At breakfast there wasn't enough space for everyone and some had to wait in the cocktail bar for a table. Typical Mercure breakfast and service. Town centre location convenient if you've got business in the centre.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. Please accept my apologies for the welcome you received upon check in . I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal I would be interested to hear further about your experience if you would like to email me .I am sorry you did not enjoy some aspects of this visit and do hope you will give us the opportunity improve for a future visit.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our Valentine's Dinner in the Carriages Restaurant at the King's Hotel. We both chose steak as our main course and it was cooked to perfectly to our liking. The hand cut chips were lovely and chunky. The dessert was a shared platter of different chocolates. The staff were very friendly, in particular 'Charles' was a perfect host. We have celebrated Valentine's Day, 2 year's running here, it is a lovely restaurant, with exceptional staff and food. Very reasonably priced. Well worth a visit. Fred & Donna

1 Thank Fred G
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your Valentine's experience . I am delighted you had a most enjoyable second visit with us. The menu was very well received and the staff delivered great service again.
I do hope you will dine with us again soon .
alexandria scotland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed last weekend for two nights.Check in was quick and easy ,my room was on third floor at back of hotel. Bed was comfy and room clean, what more do you want .All staff i met were friendly , Good choice at breakfast and hot food cooked to order. Paid £44 per night with breakfast at £10 per night. Would stay again when next in town next .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am delighted you had a most enjoyable experience and found our staff to be so friendly. we look forward to you returning soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed in this hotel the first Saturday in February. Paid £40 for the room.

Hotel was very central and about tens mins walk from the train station.

Hotel was beautifully decorated and staff friendly. We were allowed to check in when we arrived at 11.15 - great!

First room the window was wonky and there was a gale whistling through the room, but reception moved us quickly and with no fuss.

Second room was lovely - tastefully decorated and had a good sized tv, tea and coffee facilities, ironing board & iron and a safe.

Rooms were not very soundproof was the only thing - heard a lot of noise from inside the hotel and out. Free wifi was patchy in room and you could only get it at certain places then it kept cutting out.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for completing a review of your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay after moving rooms. I am sorry the internet service on this occasion was intermittent and you were disturbed by some external noise from street level. There are rooms available on the other side of the hotel though it is nice at the front overlooking the streetscene.
durham
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed after a night out in town parking is hit and miss get there early if you want a space, got to the room very smart a bit small ,good size bathroom but bath seemed a bit small when standing in it . Was a bit of a carry on to get to room you have to take lift to 2nd floor then along corridor and take another lift to 4th . The room was v warm even if the windows were drafty . Usual refinements tea coffee a nice tv ironing board . One thing be aware of I think the breakfast is over priced prebook ten pound or thirteen on the day , but is in a great location and as long as you get it for a good price it's ideal.

Room Tip: Get there early for a car park space.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed a good stay overall. I am sorry that you found our breakfast to be overpriced. In comparison to other brands I feel it is still value for money for a wide choice of hot items freshly prepared in the kitchen and the unlimited selection available from continental buffet. I do hope you will consider visiting us again soon.