“WEEKEND B4 XMS”

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Darlington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have stayed in various Mercure hotels before and often find them rooted in a bygone age, and not in a good way, but this was excellent. I was very impressed by the staff who were friendly, helpful and polite from the receptionist to the cleaning staff.

The bathrooms and rooms are modern and the TV has Freeview and not the stupid Accor TV system that can usually be found.

There was a big party on when I stayed so I got room service and the menu was a bit of a disappointment - very limited and very predictable, with a pretty unjustifiable £5 tray charge.

If it had fridges in the rooms and nicer carpets I'd have given it 5.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent visit. I am delighted you found the staff so friendly and helpful throughout .I appreciate your comments relating to the décor and rooms I regret you did not think the choice on the Room service menu was extensive enough and apologise the restaurant was not available on this occasion. I do hope you will be able to frequent our restaurant in the near future in order to enjoy a wider range of our cuisine.
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

My family recently held a funeral reception at The Kings. From booking the room to the end of the reception the staff were lovely and extremely helpful. We used the Cocktail Bar which was perfect. The room was decorated excellent and there was a good balance of tables and chairs plus couches. The food (buffet) was great and there was more than enough for our family and friends. We would highly recommend using this hotel and if the occasion arises it would be our first choice of venue.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent reception held here.
I am delighted that despite the upsetting occasion you found our service and food to be of such a high standard. We would be happy to accommodate any future requirements you may have. Thank you for your review.
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

As a regular Mecure guest, elements of this hotel were very good in comparison to others but other bits made let it down.
They have a small underground car park, but this gets filled quickly. the interior stairwell is bit of pain carrying bags up to the reception - you can walk out of the car ark and up the hill.
Reception greeting was fine, but no favours of an upgrade against my priviledge card they even refused to add loyalty points as the booking was made through an agent - my company books through the same agent every time and I always get points.
The room I was allocated was way up along many corridors and stairwells and two lifts! - the layout of this hotel is very complex and not all guest friendly.
the room was fairly compact, though decently enough appointed - big gripe no aircon!
I discovered that the hotel had been recently refurbished after a fire - the decor is excellent and to a good standard.
The breakfast was good and not a buffet kept warm - freshly ordered!
Checkout OK
On the whole not bad - but weird layout, small room, no aircon and unco-operative over loyalty points - will think twice about booking here again - not much going on in Darlington on a Monday night and will probably look elsewhere in future

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your breakfast and the design of the hotel.
We do have an interesting layout in the Victorian section which dates back to 1893 but feel this adds to our character. We will always add Le club loyalty points but they are not valid when booked through a third party internet booking site. If you email me your details I will have them added to your account. Thank you once again for your comments.
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I didnt actually stay at the hotel but felt so disappointed by the food at the christmas party night i had to comment.

Honestly would've been better off at wetherspoons. Turkey and whatever was on it sucked all moisture from your mouth.

Desert was ok, starter also wasn't up to much. Over priced and lacking in quality.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank davidgmmafan
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2015
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Kindest of regards

Mercure Darlington Team
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Third floor overlooking the Main Street........ Is like sleeping in a car on the A1. Your hear every engine at is accelerates up the hill through the tunnel......

Room ok..rooms are hot boxes
.. Bathroom ok...... Double glazing rubbish.

Hotel should look at triple glazing and air conditioning.

Resturaunt food ok

Ear plugs required

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for completing your review of your recent stay with us.
I am sorry you were disturbed by external noise on this occasion. Please let me know when you book again and we will allocate you a room away from the street.Thank you once again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

My fiancé and I recently stayed at the Mercure Darlington Kings hotel, as we were attending a friends 30th. From the moment we arrived we were given such a warm welcome and were looked after till the time we left. The hotel was clean and very comfortable. It was nice to spend time in the bar having cocktails and the food via room service late at night was just what we needed.
Its in a greta location, lots of pubs, bars, restaurnts and shops all in walking distance.
I would highly recommend to stay there and I would rebook if I ever found myself in Darlington again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank moodynu
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel. I am delighted the staff were so welcoming throughout your stay and so pleased you had an enjoyable time at the 3oth Birthday party event. Thank you for recommending us.