“Very convenient”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Very convenient”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My room was clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated ..... it had everything I needed.

The vegetarian options on the menu were delicious. (As were all the soups that I tried...)
Plus the desserts were very good as well.

The staff were very friendly, always polite and very willing to help in any way that they could.

The hotel is located right in the centre of Darlington close to shops, restaurants etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted you had a most comfortable stay and found our staff so hospitable. Thank you for your comments relating to our food I am so pleased you had such enjoyable meals in Carriages restaurant. We look forward to you returning soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Fantastic hotel in the charming old town of Darlington attached to a mall. Everything is within a walking distance, great for shopping and dinning. The Darlington train station is also a walking distance away.

The rooms are big and well equipped with all the basic amenities one would need. Sleep quality is great. The downside is that I was there during one of the hottest weeks that the UK had experienced and I mean it hit 32 degrees one day. The rooms do have air-conditioning which meant I slept with the windows open and at night the street can be noisy.

Bathrooms are big and well stocked however toiletries are only replenished every second day - not a big deal thought and the ones provided are big in volume.

Food quality was amazing, the full English breakfast is one of the best I have ever had! The even dinner options was great and food quality once again was great. However I did find the dinner options to be quiet pricy.

Customer service is top notch and I just loved the staff friendliness. Turned out to be a great two week stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kovilan_Naidoo
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted you found our staff to be so friendly. Thank you for your comments relating to food I am glad you enjoyed your meals and in particular breakfast. It was particularly hot for a time and we purchased additional fans but I appreciate It doesn't compensate for a full air conditioning system. I look forward to welcoming you back when next visiting the area.
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here overnight on business, and overall it wasn't bad. Location is right in the town centre and handy for all shops, bars and restaurants. The hotel's own car park in the basement was rather tight and not helped by some inconsiderate parking! Check-in was swift, which is always a bonus.
Quite a hike to get to my room on the 4th floor up 2 different lifts and winding corridors.
The room itself had everything I needed and would expect. It felt clean and airy with high ceilings. It overlooked Darlington town centre. Not much to fault really.
Breakfast was ok, but we had to wait for our eggs benadict as we were informed that someone had to run to the shop to buy muffins!
One note of thanks, I left my phone charger in the room, but after a call back to the hotel they found it and were happy to keep it at reception while I dashed back to get it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for completing your review of your stay here. I am pleased you had a swift check in and you found the room cleanliness to be high.
Car parking can be tight if drivers are not mindful of space for other drivers but there is plenty available externally once our facility is full. I will investigate why we had a delay with your eggs and appreciate you do not want to be informed as to where the ingredients are coming from. I am glad housekeeping retrieved your charger and were able to collect before leaving the area.
Loughborough,UK
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Centrally placed in the town this hotel has been recently renovated and is very clean with new decor and fittings. Surprisingly there wasn't any air con but the window opened and I had an undisturbed sleep in spite of the room overlooking the town centre.
Helpful staff at the desk who directed me along the maze of corridors to my room.
A pleasant and quiet stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted you had a comfortable and pleasant stay and you found our reception staff to be helpful. The rooms at the front of the hotel are very pleasant overlooking the Pease statue.
Sandown, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stay regularly with Accor Hotels and this is my second visit to a Mercure branded hotel.

Being disabled and unable to walk too well I always request when booking a room near the lifts with least amount of walking. This never a problem but my stay here I seemed to have been given a room at the far side of the hotel. The layout of the hotel means this is a very long walk. To get to my room we had to walk to the other side of the hotel to get a lift up. We then had to walk back to the other side of the hotel for another a lift and then back to the other side of the hotel for the room! By the time we reached the room I was in too much pain from walking to worry about asking for a different room. No air conditioning and a small window which I can imagine would be a problem in hot weather.

The staff are not rude and are polite but seem very indifferent and uninterested in you and checking you in seem to be reciting what they have been told to say rather than genuinely interested in you having a good stay. Some staff especially in the bar seemed very friendly and what you would expect from this kind of hotel. I was asked twice at check in and check out to pay for breakfast despite paying when I booked which I found embarrassing.

Bizarelly although on the website boasting the hotel has room service and saying in the room welcome card it says they have room service, there is no menu! The bar however serves very good food and a good range.

It is not all bad though. The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The hotel is literally in the center of Darlington. The main shopping center is in the same location as the hotel. I was worried about noise as the room overlooks a square and it was a Saturday night. Although you hear the occasion shout and scream it did not disturb us and the double glazing kept the noise out. Surprisingly there is free parking underneath the hotel. There is only about 15 spaces and some of these you can only use the weekend. Its rare to find a town center hotel with free parking. There is two flights of stairs from the car park. However you can walk round or there are disabled parking spaces outside the hotel.

Overall, if you need somewhere to stay in the center of Darlington this is a great place to stay. If you have mobility problems I would advise against staying. There seems a long walk to rooms. It is a nice hotel though and lovely rooms. Breakfast is great and hot food is served you at a table and you choose what you want rather than queuing for a hot buffet. But to brutally honest I have paid a lot less for a lot better and friendlier welcome at there "lower quality" branded Ibis Hotel brand. I thought paying extra for Mercure Hotel would be a nice treat but it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted you found our bar staff to be very friendly. I apologise you did not receive a warm a welcome as I would expect at reception and will look into this. I am surprised we did not accommodate you in a room nearer to the lift which we would done if we had the request in advance , I am sure we would have moved you had raised this at the time but appreciate you did not want to move once settled in. Free Car parking is a benefit we wish we had more but with charges of £2.50 for 24 hours nearby it is a inexpensive alternative.
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I and my son went to Darlington for admission to school, we stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The location is perfect, free steadily wifi provided, big and clean room.

If somebody find a place to stay in Darlington. This is the one I strongly recommanded.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine W
Many thanks for your hotel review. I am delighted you had a pleasant stay and would recommend the hotel to others. We look forward to seeing you again soon.