“Mid Week Break”

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed August 4, 2013

First stay in The Kings and I was not disappointed. Great location, right in the middle of town near to all the shops. Train station close by (Cost £4 in taxi). Staff at the hotel were friendly, helpful and very accommodating.

The choice at breakfast was excellent - fresh fruit, bowls of fruit in juice, cereals, croissants, danish pastries, cheese, ham, toast, fruit juices, anything you wanted cooked - and I mean anything from kippers to porridge!

I have to recommend the afternoon tea - which we had in the Bar area. The prawn sandwiches and the warm scones were scrumptious, mouthwatering and very reasonably priced. All served by the lovely barman who waited on us which was totally unexpected.

I know the hotel was involved in a fire years ago and you can still smell a small bit of smoke in the hotel, but would definately stay here again.

I booked through another website and got a great deal of £58 per twin room/per night with breakfast included.

I would recommend that the Hotel invest in air conditioning as the rooms were very warm probably due to the hot weather.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, rooms were quite spacious and very little noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for submitting a review of your hotel visit. I am delighted you found our staff to be so accommodating. It is very satisfying to hear you enjoyed all the food served to you. I hope it will be a little cooler on your next visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently for a wedding and have mixed feelings.

The hotel has been renovated to a really high standard, a nice warm modern feel to the place throughout.

The food at the wedding breakfast was really good as was the evening buffet and the breakfast the following morning. I would give the food 5/5.

The staff were friendly enough but something seemed to be lacking. The same faces were there throughout the day and even the following morning so perhaps they're overworked?

The tables in the bar where guests waited prior to the wedding meal weren't cleared, the same happened in the evening reception.

Location is good right in the town centre with a small car park underneath the hotel.

Overall I would probably stay here again, an improvement on the service side of things would be a real boost for the hotel and would increase my overall rating.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your comments relating to your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed the meals at the Wedding reception you attended. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly. I am disappointed that we did not keep on top of clearing the tables in the busy lounge bar and in the ballroom later. We look forward to you visiting again in the future.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure due to the convenient location in the centre of town. The hotel has free car parking in the basement which was also a plus.
I found the hotel to be great value for money, the staff were very efficient and friendly and the room was clean and modern.
Breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. I am delighted you found our staff to be both friendly and efficient. I am really pleased you had a comfortable stay with a good breakfast. Please book a room with us when you next visit Darlington.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Its been a couple of years since I last stayed here. It was a pleasant surprise to see the results of the new renovation. Very good job. The reception area is lovely and bright. The rooms are fresh bright and clean. I stayed for one night and as always don't have any hesitation in recommending it. The only negative thing and that's just a personal gripe, water was taken from the tap to make a hot drink there was a very distinct unpleasant taste to the water either that or the tea... Might be an idea to provide complimentary bottled water....just a suggestion. Location is fantastic and it's an added bonus with the free parking. Didn't have breakfast... Well worth noting that the hotel has a very good deal if you take the one course evening meal and breakfast.. You need to commit to this on check in I unfortunately made other plans otherwise would have taken the offer think it was £15 for both combined.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review you stay. I am delighted you were very pleased with the outcome of the refurbishment and you found your room clean and bright. I do hope your next visit will be in the not too distant future. Thank you for returning to the hotel after a couple of years break.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Recently stayed here while visiting family nearby. Check-in seemed a little disorganised, but staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was small but very comfortable and clean and housekeeping were great. One day I did not want the room made up, just clean towels and they were there very quickly. Breakfast was delicious and offered a great selection. . Only negative was no air conditioning in the rooms as it was very warm during my stay and with the windows open it could be noisey (request a room away from the front if a light sleeper). Overall, a great stay and will stay there again!

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, request a room away from the front as can be noisey at weekends when the pubs em...
1  Thank UKNV
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted you found everything so comfortable and clean. I am equally delighted that you found our staff to be both friendly and helpful . Our breakfast does offer a wide selection and I am pleased this met with your requirements. It has been very warm and I appreciate air conditioning would be an added bonus. Thank you once again I do hope we will be welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a lovely weekend at the Mercure Kings Head in Darlington. We found the hotel excellent value for money with a great central location, smart, clean and modern rooms and helpful and friendly staff. We especially liked the 'happy hour' in the downstairs bar, which is tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Our only regret is that we didn't visit the restaurant, which many visitors have raved about, but we shall rectify this when we stay there again in November. Finally, we would like to give a special thanks to James Grant, the Hotel Sales Manager, he certainly went the extra mile in sorting out our car parking problem, and his dedication to duty is a credit to the hotel. Obviously, the central location means that it can get a little noisy as people are leaving nearby pubs and restaurants, but this is a small price to pay for all the positives.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend and found our bedrooms most clean and comfortable. I am delighted James was able to accommodate you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future when I hope you will be able to enjoy a meal in Carriages Restaurant.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Last weekend spent Saturday evening/Sunday lunchtime at this hotel and their restaurant.
Booked 5 bedrooms for family and friends and all remarked how comfortable and clean their rooms were. Full cooked breakfast, too, was excellent. Celebrated husband's retirement lunch on Sunday with 20 odd guests in private dining room. Table setting and room beautifully set out. Young staff very efficient and eager. Our lunch was great - having been pre-selected. Congratulations to Chef and staff for a lovely menu and achieving such enjoyable food. Wine met expectations - so all in all a very happy weekend. Lovely downstairs bar a bonus, as is the current Happy Hour! Special thanks to Hotel Management for all their help and successful outcome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review. We were delighted your party enjoyed the retirement event and in particular your husband including their stay over in the hotel. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff involved. It was great to see you visiting again during happy hour the other day. We look forward to welcoming you back on a regular basis. I hope your husband enjoys his retirement.