“Definitely Recommend....”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Definitely Recommend....”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Recently stayed here while visiting family nearby. Check-in seemed a little disorganised, but staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was small but very comfortable and clean and housekeeping were great. One day I did not want the room made up, just clean towels and they were there very quickly. Breakfast was delicious and offered a great selection. . Only negative was no air conditioning in the rooms as it was very warm during my stay and with the windows open it could be noisey (request a room away from the front if a light sleeper). Overall, a great stay and will stay there again!

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, request a room away from the front as can be noisey at weekends when the pubs em...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted you found everything so comfortable and clean. I am equally delighted that you found our staff to be both friendly and helpful . Our breakfast does offer a wide selection and I am pleased this met with your requirements. It has been very warm and I appreciate air conditioning would be an added bonus. Thank you once again I do hope we will be welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sheffield , United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I have just spent a lovely weekend at the Mercure Kings Head in Darlington. We found the hotel excellent value for money with a great central location, smart, clean and modern rooms and helpful and friendly staff. We especially liked the 'happy hour' in the downstairs bar, which is tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Our only regret is that we didn't visit the restaurant, which many visitors have raved about, but we shall rectify this when we stay there again in November. Finally, we would like to give a special thanks to James Grant, the Hotel Sales Manager, he certainly went the extra mile in sorting out our car parking problem, and his dedication to duty is a credit to the hotel. Obviously, the central location means that it can get a little noisy as people are leaving nearby pubs and restaurants, but this is a small price to pay for all the positives.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend and found our bedrooms most clean and comfortable. I am delighted James was able to accommodate you. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future when I hope you will be able to enjoy a meal in Carriages Restaurant.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Last weekend spent Saturday evening/Sunday lunchtime at this hotel and their restaurant.
Booked 5 bedrooms for family and friends and all remarked how comfortable and clean their rooms were. Full cooked breakfast, too, was excellent. Celebrated husband's retirement lunch on Sunday with 20 odd guests in private dining room. Table setting and room beautifully set out. Young staff very efficient and eager. Our lunch was great - having been pre-selected. Congratulations to Chef and staff for a lovely menu and achieving such enjoyable food. Wine met expectations - so all in all a very happy weekend. Lovely downstairs bar a bonus, as is the current Happy Hour! Special thanks to Hotel Management for all their help and successful outcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. We were delighted your party enjoyed the retirement event and in particular your husband including their stay over in the hotel. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff involved. It was great to see you visiting again during happy hour the other day. We look forward to welcoming you back on a regular basis. I hope your husband enjoys his retirement.
Bath
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ate in the restaurant on a Saturday night as a table of 6 and surprised how quiet it was - until I experienced it!
Staff were all young and clearly inexperienced - our order was taken twice which I found odd and then had to opt for the 4th choice of red wine as 'the order had not been delivered' - how do you run out of ANY wine on a Saturday night?
Finally get wine which is then just plonked on the table - REALLY!!?? Cannot remember the last time wine was not poured for me, even in a pubs hey do that!
Proved to be difficult to get staff attention and would have happily spent more money on drinks if they had only asked and been more attentive!
Food was good value at £20 for 3 courses if a little on the bland side.
Restaurant and hotel decor was good and there is a lively bar on the ground floor which obviously attracts local trade.
Can recommend for value but only go if you don't mind having to wave for attention.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MrRedStar
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks for completing a review. I do apologise from what appears to be a lack of attention to detail at your table. I will of course review the staff available as the things you record should not have occurred likewise with the food. I am pleased you thought the pricing was good value for money and we will be delighted to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Having just spent a night at this hotel I feel I need to warn anyone going to get plenty of sleep beforehand due to no fans/aircon, paper thin walls and ceilings, external noise. On the other hand don't eat for a whole week before and make the most of the the fantastic food

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank whitedove79
Many thanks for your review. I am delighted you found our food to be, as you described, fantastic. I apologise that we did not have a fan available to ease your comfort and you were disturbed by external noise by opening the window. I do hope on your next visit it will be cooler in temperature. Thank you for your comments.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently visted this hotel for a meal with friends. It was great that non residents can eat in the hotel. The restaurant Caridges was fantastic. We ate in the Pullman room as we had private dining. The food was beautiful and more than reasonably priced by far one of the nicest places to eat in Darlington.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank johnb0713
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear John, many thanks for your review of Carriages Restaurant. I am delighted that you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed their recent meal with us. Many guest have commented on our pricing representing great value for money and we attract a lot of private dining in the restaurant from local people. I hope you will consider us for any future private events.