“A Little Gem”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Turkish Restaurant
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I went for pre theatre dinner at Meze having herad good things on the local grapevine. Despite being small, part of its charm, the welcome from Pauline and Laura was just like being greeted by long lost family!
Warm and friendly doesn't even begin to come close. pauline was very helpful in recommending dishes and even suggested I go 'off menu' to have a mixture of two dishes adding, in serious tones, that it would cost an extra 50p!!!
When the food came I can honestly say I have never tasted food any better anywhere(50p????? I felt like I was robbing them!). The meat in the kebabs (chicken and lamb) was so tender and tasty I was reluctant to share it with my wife when she asked for a taste! My wife had meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce which she declared as the nicest dish she had ever eaten. The side salad was also fresh and with an excellent dressing.
Cem the chef is a magician and we can't wait to go back.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Business brings me to Darlington quite often and having been to Turkey a couple of times Meze was just the excuse I needed for some food away from the hotel.They say don't judge a book by its cover, in this case the cover is a relaxed, unfussy homely feel and perfectly fine, the food is the star attraction.Pauline is a lovely host, and I had the chance to sit and chat with Cem the chef, after the meal was finished and I had explained I was a bit of a foodie and could I see the kitchen please.I had the Feta stuffed Filo 'cigars' which was served with an array of accompliments and was absolutely delightful, followed by the Izmir Kofte, lamb and beef kebabs grilled and served in a delicious sauce with aubergine, carrot and tomato. Alongside, rice and a really fresh salad completed the dish. A thoroughly delightful evening was the result of this trip to Meze, thank-you Pauline and Cem for sharing your taste of Turkey, I for one will be back for another taste of the real Turkey.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Tiny little place just up from th civic theatre. Wouldnt have seen it, but did a near me now on this site and pleased we did.

Great food in a small, intimate setting.

Started with the Meze ,then we all had kebabs, along with a drink or two each.

5 people 2 courses each and drinks and bill of £95.00 !!! Great food and a bargain. Definately booking again before our next theatre trip

Reviewed May 29, 2013

So I found myself in Darlington with a couple of hours to wait for a train yesterday. Trip advisor turned up Meze as a highly rated restaurant close to the Station and I popped down there with my colleague to see if we could grab an early dinner before the train left.

The high rating is totally justified. This is a very small restaurant indeed, with about 6 tables and it is located on a busy road. There's no parking so don't roll up in the Beemer expecting to just stop off outside as this is the middle of Darlington.

The food and friendliness of the owners was just great. Pauline and Celal couldn't have been more genuinely interested and welcoming. We had the place to ourselves and I guess that when its full the atmosphere would be a lot more hectic but just as welcoming albeit at a higher pace!

The food was wonderful, easily the best reminder of Mediterranean holidays in a long time. We shared a Meze starter, which was both hot and cold dishes and came as a selection of 12 different tastes with bread an addition. Everything was superb. The main course was mixed kebab for me, which was again cooked to perfection.

It was really great to find this place; it is a complete gem. Next time I need to catch a train out of Darlington I'll definitely be scheduling another couple of additional hours in to make a return visit.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We arrived at 7.30p.m. on a Friday night having booked and were surprised to find we were the only ones there. However by the time my husband and I had finished our meze starters this small restaurant was full. The maximum amount of people it can hold is 16; maybe 20 at a squeeze! The decor is plain and unpretentious - the food is far from plain! Delicious, authentic tastes with all dishes freshly prepared and cooked. We had the hot meze and kebabs and needed doggy bags as we were unable to finish the huge main course. Don't dress up - this place is 'come as you are' and very welcoming. Many of the diners were returners and known to the proprieter. Total bill £45; if you're craving that holiday taste again this is the place to go.