“Wow!!!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Called in on the off chance for lunch couldn't believe three course for £5.99.Excellent service and food were to follow,going back on Sunday for the buffet £9.99 can't wait.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Came here for a meal in late January, after having a very nice takeaway a few months earlier.

Saturday night, the place was dead! My Dad & i went in and said we don't have a reservation, can we have a table for two.
The waitress then mumbled she'd have to check, lol literally we were the only people in the place!

Service was absolutely atrocious! I think i would go as far as saying it was the worst service i've ever received.

The restaurant was so cold we had to leave our coats on.
The Food was very nice indeed. I had a chicken peanut curry with rice & thai vegetables & it was good.

The final confusion came in when i tried to order a Filter coffee with cream in the side. I eventually got a nescafe with a cup of whipped cream!
I do believe if your working in a restaurant here you should have a basic understanding of English at the least. This Waitress did not.
So with no customers & one lousy waitress the atmosphere was dismal.
Probably wont be rushing back.

2  Thank Dubai-Dreams1
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went last night for a meal before the theatre. The waitress is the problem, the waitress from hell. We were shown to our table by a lady in charge , great no real issue apart from no menu. We were given Prawn crackers and asked if they were Gluten free , she said 'errrr don't know' and walked off. We asked again ,Ask lady in charge' When she returned I explained that i wanted her to ask , she stormed off in a huff and said something to the owner and pointed at us. The owner did find out. I used to really like the service here but it's really gone downhill.

4  Thank Gardener009
Reviewed January 26, 2013

If this review puts at least one person off going to this hell hole then I shall be pleased.
I have never had to leave a review like this before and I'm disappointed to be doing so now but I feel very strongly about this.
From entering the cold, empty restaurant and meeting the hostile waitress I wondered if I'd made a mistake but hoped the food would be worth it even though the waitress couldn't bring herself to even break a smile, surly is an understatement, she looked like she'd been chewing on a wasp.
We chose the business 3 course menu for a reasonable £6.95 and our first course was all too quickly brought out, chicken satay & chicken wrapped in pandam leaves, dry, tepid and not at all fresh.
To follow was Chicken and mushroom soup, neither of us ate more than 2 mouthfuls of this, it was revolting and I can't be sure if the coconut milk was off or what but it had the most bizarre smell and flavour, again it was brought to us no more than 2 minutes after the previous plates were cleared by the miserable waitress who we'd been nothing but sweet and polite to since we walked in.
Lastly we were brought Chicken, ginger and spring onion which was by far the nicest dish.
I couldn't finish it and left a rather large portion which I asked very politely to be packed up so I could enjoy it later on at home. The reply spat at me by the waitress stunned me, as I havent ordered my meal as a takeaway I would be charged £6.95 to takeaway my own food I'd already bought!
Astonishing!
Once I pointed out that I was infact already paying for my meal and that all I wanted was for it to be placed into a container so I could take it home I was again spoken to like I was asking for the impossible and told that just this once I could do that. Oh the privilege!
Stunned and confused we both paid and left feeling quite upset and disappointed too.
Upon returning home I searched the Royal Thai online and found many many articles about environmental health closing them down numerous times and also fining them during 2012.
Please search this too, it's quite worrying.
I also found the reviews on Trip Advisor and couldn't believe they are of the same restaurant. I'm pleased not everybody has had such an awful experience as me but would urge anyone who has to warn other unsuspecting customers by leaving feedback too.
This is not a usual review for me as you would be able to see from all my others. I am always fair and usually very happy and love to praise places that deserve it.
With regards to other staff at the Royal Thai, as that waitress was the only person we had any interaction with, maybe not everyone has her delightful attitude!!
Please, please avoid this place like the plague, Darlington has some fantastic eateries but this is certainly not one of them.

5  Thank LSCC27
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We originally found this place by ordering a take-away to try something different as we don't live in the area. After that one meal we were hooked. We now travel through at least every two weeks as the food is amazing! We have been both during the day, evening, weekdays and week nights and the meal deals are very good value. The cheapest being a 3 course meal for £5.99. The food is fresh, hot and it is always easy to choose healthier options. The staff are courteous, only once have I seen them understaffed but they were very apologetic and offered a free dessert. The restaurant can be a little cold but it depends on the time of day. I have absolutely no critism of the food even after 5 visits. The female toilet is upstairs so not too good for disabled customers. As a final note the restaurant is clean and well presented. Fabulous.