“A very nice Sunday lunch, nice atmosphere, good service”
Review of The Old Farmhouse

The Old Farmhouse
Ranked #99 of 289 Restaurants in Darlington
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Farmhouse in Darlington is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My Son is living in Darlington at the moment, and he suggested that we pop out for Sunday lunch on a quick visit last weekend. I really liked the atmosphere and whilst the place was very busy, we were shown to our table which we had pre booked, were given menu's and asked if we would like some drinks. They arrived quite quickly, and we had a decent amount of time before being asked for our order. We asked for another few minutes, which was no problem.

I had the prawn cocktail starter, followed by the half roast chicken and the chocolate brownie for desert. The starter was nice, with the Kos salad leaves, crisp and fresh. The main course was equally as good, with good sized portions, well cooked, and nicely presented. If I was being critical, the roast potatoes could have done with being a bit crisper, but they were perfectly acceptable. The chocolate brownie was just a touch over done, and not quite as good as the starter or main. However overall, quite a good straightforward Sunday lunch. We had coffee, however I would prefer my coffee served after desert and not with.

Having seen some of the other reviews, I have to say the service we received was spot on (well done Sarah!) and for the cost including drinks, the Old Farmhouse was good value for money. On the way home we even checked to see if the group had any restaurants nearer to home, so clearly we were quite happy.

I hope that if you try The Old Farmhouse, you have as good an experience as we did - well worth a visit!

Luke H, Manager at The Old Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

We are pleased to hear your comments, and we have passed them on to sarah who was looking after you. We are sorry to hear you prefer your coffee after your dessert. Please let us know if you would prefer your coffee after your puddings and we will ensure to do this for you :)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have been here a few times recently , whilst it has been adequate our latest experience will mean no more return visits.
To start with we got a table straight away but the service after that was slow, we eventually received our drinks and placed the food order, 30 mins later the starters arrived, the goats cheese crostini whilst nice was served on a greasy plate with finger marks all around the edge, the calamari was nearly cold, the lettuce was going brown and the plate the dish was served on again greasy and full of finger marks.
The mains arrived another 30 minutes later , the gammon served once again upon a greasy and finger marked plate and not particularly hot, the mixed grill was luke warm with the exception of the peas which were stone cold!
We gambled on a dessert, big mistake, didn't think it was possible to cock up profiteroles, but they did, they were choux pastry semi filled with squirty cream and covered in squirty cream and a runny chocolate sauce, they were shockingly poor.
The table next to us had to borrow our spare cutlery as theirs was dirty!
On the whole a very poor experience and we will not be returning!

1  Thank Davethejag

we are sorry to hear your didnt enjoy your experience

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Four of us ate here at Christmas, the place was very full but we had a very nice meal and the service was excellent, I can't believe that four short weeks later we had such a terribly disappointing meal with the most appallingly bad service. The Old Farmhouse is such a lovely place inside with a good menu, what went wrong? We ordered our starters and main meal but then it went down hill from there, our main meal arrived without first having our starters, we were a bit non plussed especially as no one appologied for their massive over sight. We decided not to bother about the starters and carry on with the main meal, however my chips were cold, I pointed this out and the waiter took it away to be reheated. My husbands chicken and potatoes were luke warm, however he continued with his meal but eventually left half of it. On complaining about his meal he was given a free sweet, which was very nice. We all had luke warm coffee without sugar, which we had to go and find ourselves, also no mint or biscuit to accompany it. Also two meals had nice homemade chips but two had oven ready ones, now I'm sorry I can have oven ready chips at home, I don't expect to pay restaurant prices to eat oven ready chips when I'm out.
Overall it was a extremely disappointing meal and with terrible service, I wish I didn't have to write this but I'm afraid it's true.

1  Thank Scarlet062

We are sorry to hear this, would you call us to discuss this matter further?

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Myself and my husband come here once a month, and have never had a bad experience! The food is amazing, selection of beers and drinks is very good and the staff are very efficient and polite. As an extra bonus, we have signed up to the website and regularly receive 20% off vouchers!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been a few times for a drink and cosy seat near the fire, but decided to have lunch last Sunday, got the braised belly pork and was terrible, a pile of oily fat. The 'roasted' veg was raw and the potatoes also. Couldn't eat any of it, it was taken of the bill. Hot chocolate was lovely, however all very overpriced for microwave food!

We are very sorry to hear your feedback. We would like to take this opportunity to ask you to revisit us for us to show that this is not the food quality to be expected, and also take this opportunity to say our sunday lunches are cooked freshly throughout every sunday and none of our sunday lunches are microwaved. Please be assured