“excellent food”
Review of The Old Farmhouse

The Old Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 274 Restaurants in Darlington
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Old Farmhouse in Darlington is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
North East
“excellent food”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

good variety of food. Good value, friendly atmosphere. Recommend book particularly weekends or could be disappointed

Visited June 2012
Luke H, Manager at The Old Farmhouse, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Darlington, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have eaten here today as part of a group of 25 all bunched together lovely in a little area at the back.
It was warm and cosy, we had a mix of babies and disabled diners in our group, disabled access and facilities good.
They took our orders at the table and did very well because we were all ordering and paying in little groups.
Everyone enjoyed there food starters mains and puddings the waiters were very helpfull and friendly
All food tasty and hot well done everyone, we already booked again xx

Luke H, Manager at The Old Farmhouse, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“disappointing -going downhill?”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Approximately a year ago I wrote a review in which I commented that this establishment was consistently good and I wondered why we had stopped going. What a difference a year makes!

The venue is still lovely but the food and staff attitude leave something to be desired.

We ordered the warm Mediterranean breads with olive oil & balsamic dip to start. The breads were barely warm when they arrived, but tasted fine.

For mains we had cod and chips with mushy peas and beef and merlot pie. On the positive side both meals were hot, the cod was tasty but the portion size was small, by the time I had removed the piece of lemon & pot of tartar sauce from the plate the actual food looked lost. My husbands pie looked inviting - oh how looks can be deceiving!

We had barely been given a chance to taste our meals when the waitress came over to enquire if everything was ok. Although a little surprised at the size of the meals I replied yes as at that point my husband had not delved beneath the pie crust and was blissfully unaware of the horror that lay in wait.

The pie was disgusting!!!! It was hardly bursting with meat but having removed several large pieces of what resembled jelly most of what was left was fat and gristle. By the time he had discovered this he had eaten most of the chips but left the pea & bean medley which he declared to be tasteless.

When the waitress arrived to remove the plates she made no mention of the fact that my husband had left most of his meal or the mound of fat and gristle that was piled on the side of the plate. Instead she produced the dessert board whilst attempting to remove the plates. At this point I interrupted her and pointed out that the pie was somewhat less than satisfactory. Her response "well why didn't you say so earlier when I asked if everything was OK". I attempted to explain but was cut short by a rather curt " I'll remove it from the bill"

Literally two minutes later and much to our surprise the bill arrived and was dumped on the table! We had been going to order desserts as we were still hungry but as my husband remarked it seemed as though we were no longer welcome!

I went to pay at the bar, to be fair the pie had been removed and as the bill including drinks was £21.88 I had a moments hesitation at using the 25% off voucher that I had received via email. I felt a bit cheeky to be honest, however the less than friendly reception I received when I went to pay encouraged me to dig it out out of my purse, the barman looked less than amused at this point maybe the discount was coming out of his wages?

Needless to say we didn't leave a tip and we shall not be returning any time soon.

We went home for a cheese sandwich, not what you would expect to have to do after having lunch out!!

Luke H, Manager at The Old Farmhouse, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, although we appreciate your experience was a while ago now, we are looking to understand what happened during your time with us better. Would you give us a call to discuss your experience on 01325 332191.
Hebburn, Tyne & Wear, England
“Great food, great choice, great service”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a meal midweek whilst staying at Rockliffe Hall and we were very impressed, great choice of vegetarian options and a very good choice of other meals, reasonably priced and lovely dry white wine. All in all, a very good meal.

Seaham harbour
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This is an inviting pub with a cosy interior just the sort of place to enjoy on a winters afternoon.
The barman Paul, was very efficient and pleasant.
However if you wish to eat here think twice. The food is overpriced, poorly presented and not up to much.
I was famished and still hungry.
Disappointed

Luke H, Manager at The Old Farmhouse, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. Although your experience was a while ago, would it be possible to discuss your experience further? To gain more information. If you would call us on 01325 332191
Many Thanks