“Fantastic Value and Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlbury Arms - CLOSED

The Carlbury Arms
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Durham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Value and Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Quick visit on a Saturday in August for a quick meal for 3, plus the dog and lured by the promise of a £5 meal. All I can say is what brilliant value and great quality. I opted for the pork roast dinner, whilst my companions both enjoyed the fish & chips. All first rate and for £5 per head you really can't go wrong. will definitely be making a return trip soon!

4 Thank Helen R

Co Durham
“Just found our new regular haunt for food - fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Following the closure of our local eatery we were keen to find a replacement. We drove past the Carlbury last week and saw how many cars were parked outside! Had a nosy on the website and saw the owner had a good background so decided to give it a try last night. There was my husband and myself, my mother (she is obsessed with good food!) my 11 year old daughter and her best friend so quite a range to feed. We had a couple of the starters to share calamari and the ham hock both were beautiful and presented well. The salad with the calamari was different, fresh and delicious. For mains mum had fish and chips (the fish was huge) the verdict 'the best she has had in a long time' coming from her that is a compliment!! I had steak which was cooked perfectly, my husband had the 'fat' sausages again fantastic. The kids had a lamb roast dinner off the kids menu which was presented very well and they said tasted really nice. Clean plates all round. I don't normally do desert but I had Eton mess which was very light, lovely! Mum had treacle pud which she loved, kids had chocolate brownie and hubby had a cheese board which was big enough for at least two! The goats cheese on there was gorgeous. Nothing was a trouble for the staff and Mark the owner was a great host. They are definatly trying hard at the Carlbury, good luck to them and we will definatly be back. Might try Sunday lunch next time :)

• Visited September 2013
mark m, Owner at The Carlbury Arms, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
This is a message that has made me smile
Your a great family and I had a great laugh with you
we look forward to seeing you again

mark
Darlington, United Kingdom
“weekday lunch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

very friendly staff, best fish and chips i have had, lunchtime offer £5.00.
so booked for sunday lunch. the food was excellent.could not have been better.
will be going again.

mark m, Owner at The Carlbury Arms, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
thank you so much we are working very hard here at the carlbury arms to make a difference we are so happy you liked it
Glasgow
“Fantastic food, service and surroundings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

For a birthday celebration, our family decided to go out for a meal, it was a Tuesday night. We initially booked a different pub however after a number of issues at that pub we decided to leave and go elsewhere. At 7.30pm we telephoned The Carlbury Arms at Darlington and asked if they could accommodate 8 people for a meal at short notice (ie 10 minutes!). The staff could not be more helpful. We arrived, hungry and frustrated from the earlier experience and were met by friendly professional staff, lovely clean, modern surroundings and a lovely menu. The choice was quality rather than quantity (a big bonus in my eyes!), and the staff were more than happy to change a couple of the choices on the menu to please the fickle eaters amongst our party! The food itself was lovely, tasty and presented really well. The attention from the staff was second to none and I cannot emphasise enough how fantastic the staff looked after us. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and family,and I will definitely be returning to sample the rest of the menu!! Thank you for making our dad/grandad' birthday a lovely one! x

ingleby barwick
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very welcoming atmosphere, genial friendly owner, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife son and I called in 15 August for lunch. The owner was very friendly and ensured the drinks and food were delivered to our table promptly. Food was excellent and the lunchtime offer was very reasonably priced. We all had the fish and chips for mains which was substantial and the owner said the fish was twice the size on the evening menu so we will be calling again.

1 Thank johnto7
mark m, Owner at The Carlbury Arms, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
if theres ever anything we can do to better the carlbury arms just let us know