“A good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

St George Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
“A good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as we have family around the area and this was pretty central.

As it's an ex RAF base it's full of character.

The staff were really friendly on arrival and throughout our time there. Breakfast was good and the room vas very nice. No noise apart from tweeting birds.

Only criticism is that the bathroom was a little grotty and needs refurbishing but apart from that a really enjoyable stay.

Stayed April 2014
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014

We look forward to seeing you soon

Joanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had stayed here previously and wrote a review 24 th September 2013. I loved the history but felt the place needed some TLC. The Manager responded to my review, stating the place was being refurbished and I would see the results of the hard work on my next visit.
I needed a hotel for one night and it was really good. Well signposted, ample parking. The receptionist gave me a great welcome and answered my queries. My room was perfect, it had obviously been renovated and was very clean. No complaints about the room at all. It was obvious that the lounge and communal areas had also undergone some refurbishment. Every staff member I met had a smile and were friendly. The price of the room was a third of other places in the area, but much better value. Will definitely return.
The fact it is next to the airport would make it perfect for travellers. Not far from Middlesborough which has a good road network.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank LordHafod
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review Lordhaford, I really appreciate your comments and pleased you can see the difference within the hotel, The project is still on-going with the rest of the accommodation being updated.

We look forward to your return visit

Northumberland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

As I got out of the car and saw the venue it was basically a place to stay whilst waiting for a plane, as the airport is directly opposite. The car park is well lit and there is a lot of spaces available.
The reception is a very welcoming one, and the staff are friendly and are knowledgeable about the local area.
When we arrived to the room it was nicely decorated and a good size. The only problem was was it was two single beds that had been pushed together. They were not comfortable at all. Needed new mattresses as the bed springs were pushing threw. So DID NOT have a very good sleep. The aeroplanes didn't bother me as only a few planes now leave from the airport,
In the morning the receptionist was told about our issues and an hour later I moved into a new room. It wasn't a problem. The rooms are clean and basically have evrything you need for a basic stay in a hotel. Lots of hot water too!
The food in the bar is basic and we found that it wasn't wonderful , what you get is NOT worth the money, and not very well presented.So went elsewhere to eat the second night.
This hotel is a reasonable place to stay if you need a overnight stay somewhere .

Room Tip: Try the beds as soon as you enter the room. Bring eye mask, as lights are bright in car park and it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sun74ever
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for your review sun74, We welocme all feedback and take your points on board.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Upon arriving I was greeted by the General manager Joanne Holmes who just had the biggest smile to start my stay, she was extremely helpful, friendly and had a real "nothing was to much" attitude
The room was booked quickly at a very good rate for room and breakfast
The staff all round the hotel were extremely helpful.
The bar arrear is large and well furnished for either meetings or sitting having a drink.
The breakfast was extremely good with plenty of options and good portions
The rooms are a little basic but are all being up graded in a complete re vamp
I will happily stay hear again when I am next in the area on business and would recommend the hotel as fantastic value for money with very friendly and helpful staff.

Mark Reeve
UK Sales Manager
Reimer UK Ltd

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hi Mark

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again very soon

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Got stranded in Middlesbrough with my dogs prospect sleeping in car long drive home to shropshire st George's hotel I had stayed before without my dogs seemed to remember seeing something about dogs phoned them they came to my rescue no problem no charge for them fantastic ground floor room Very clean warm my husband my dogs and myself had a good night sleep great price will stay again . Dogs very we'll behaved

Room Tip: Ground floor so as to get dogs in and out easily
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hello Linda

Thank you for your lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you and your dog’s back very soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We went to this hotel as part of a coach trip, so didn't choose it ourselves. We were quite apprehensive when we read some of the reviews on trip advisor. However, we were pleasantly surprised in the main. Good points - friendly and very helpful staff, comfortable bedroom with big TV, good mattress, generally clean, good evening meal (happy to provide a fruit salad alternative when they heard one of us had diabetes), good breakfast, quiet and relaxed, coped well with having 2 coach parties filling nearly every room. Don't be put off by it being at an airport - while we were there they only had 5 or 6 scheduled flights a day, none between 7 pm and 9 am I think. We heard 0. Not so good points - yes, it's a bit "tired" and needs some decorative attention and maintenance - it's not unusual for hotels of this standard to have some scratches on wallpaper - one of the curtain hooks had come off (the curtains still closed fine), a couple of bits of mould in the bathroom etc. I've seen much worse at much more expensive hotels. I understand what one or two people have said about the sausages at breakfast being too herby. But I'm being picky. For the price it's really pretty good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014

We appreciate all guest feedback, The hotel is undergoing a full in house refurbishment we hope to welcome you back soon so can see the changes we have made.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Just returned from this hotel and it was fantastic, the place is really quiet and relaxing despite near the airport and in lovely grounds the breakfast was really good we didnt have dinner but did stay for sunday lunch which was beautiful rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable
for the price it really is a win win situation

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joanne H, Front Office Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for review. I am glad you had a nice stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the St George Hotel very soon.

Kind Regards