“Good base to explore North Yorkshire”

Blackwell Grange Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed on a 2 night break prior to Easter to go walking around Aysgarth Falls. As with other reviews, once you look past the tired decor the hotel is a gem. Nice size rooms that are clean and functional, lovely grounds and the food is superb - both evening meal and breakfast. The staff are all cheerful and attentive. You have to remember it is a 17th century building and whilst yes the carpet and decor could be updated it is still a well run and very clean hotel. If you want modern, then I would suggest the Holiday Inn at Scotch Corner.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pg_deane

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I met up with my friend who lives near Darlington whilst I was traveling back to the south coast from Scotland. I had up graded us to a wonderful large room in the main house above reception. It was light and very warm and we were able to keep an eye on the car in the front car park. We were on a special offer pre-Easter break that included an afternoon tea on arrival and hot cross buns. We sat in the large lounge area under the grand staircase,and felt very special. The Staff are all wonderful, friendly and helpful whilst at the same time being very professional. The Restaurant food is very good,the medley of fish dish was very good indeed. I will look on the internet again to see if they have any more good offers later in the year. Ps we met up at Bannatynes in Darlington last year and the Blackwell Grange has the upper hand in my view. Many thanks to all the staff. good luck with the baby to the young lady in Reception.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, we were on a deal bought for us as a Christmas present and paid for an upgraded room. Glad we did as we got a room in the main "house" and not in the annex at the back.
We were almost directly over the reception and although there was a function on we were not disturbed.
Reception staff gave us a warm, efficient welcome and offered help with the luggage.
Our room was very clean and inviting with a very spacious en suite.Great lighting, which can sometimes be a problem as we don't like dark rooms.
The food at breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. It was buffet service which suited us as we could pick and choose without being overfaced by an enormous plateful.
Dinner was excellent and service also. All staff couldn't do enough for us.We would not hesitate to stay again and in fact hope to return later in the year.Well done all, keep it up.Didn't use the spa so can't comment on this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. Speaking to both guests and staff they appear to be the better...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susy500
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed one night before an important meeting. Food in the restaurant was excellent, staff were friendly. The room was advertised with photos making it look like a luxury room but the quality was worse than a low-cost hotel. Bed was broken and uncomfortable, room temperature was far too cold and despite complaints to staff this was not altered. Simple continental breakfast of juice and toast was overpriced at £10. They didn't bother to check whether I would be going for their full english option, and I had to pay £3 extra for the tray to be delivered to my room. That morning it arrived 30 minutes early!! Wifi was useless so I could not do the preparations I wanted to do before my meeting. In short, this hotel looks good on the outside but it is worn out and the quality of everything except dinner is poor.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank thetheatretraveller
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a 3 night coach trip at the beginning of December. Not the best experience for coach parties as they had Christmas parties booked in, plus 2 weddings so one bar was completely closed off for the whole time we were there. Being given a key card with CASH ONLY stamped across it definitely made me feel like a second class citizen as we coach party people weren't allowed to run up a bill - after all we might disappear without paying! Breakfast was very average, and the heaters under the food trays were inefficient. One morning the toaster broke completely. Hotel could do with updating - I had a strange damp smell in my room, and someone had obviously been smoking in my sister's room but in spite of saying they would deal with the smell, they never did. Wouldn't be on places to return to list.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just returned from staying in this hotel and we were very satisfied with everything from the staff through to the food. First impressions were very good. Lovely building and it was set in beautiful gardens.Staff were very polite and nothing was too much trouble. The food that we had (it was a set menu because we were on coach tour )was very good. Plenty of choice, hot and very tasty. The bedroom was clean but if there was anything I could grumble about I suppose was the mattress could do to be replaced with a new one! It's seen better days. I went for a swim and if there are four people in the pool swimming it's full! When I was there though not many people were swimming. Before we went on this holiday I read about the hotel on this site and I had already made my mind up about the hotel before we got there! Most of the comments weren't very good and I wasn't looking forward to staying there but we thought it was a lovely hotel and we would stay there again. It goes to show you have to go and stay yourself before you judge a place!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwendoline r
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Went with a friend for a girly spa break, hotel itself looks very tired, desperately needs updating.

Our room was clean enough, beds poor, creaked every time you moved and not very comfortable, other than that the room was adequate enough.

Our evening meal and breakfast was good, food was tasty and enjoyable.

The spa was a let down for us - tiny pool with no room around it for loungers, a jacuzzi and a sauna. I wanted to sit around the pool whilst friend had treatment but unfortunately that is not possible. We booked an hours treatment each which included mini back and shoulder massage, mini facial and hand massage - unfortunately not very good at all. Very disappointed.

Overall for the price we paid for the hotel via a newspaper deal it was value for money £79 for 2 of us - however I woundnt stay here again as it definitely wasnt adequate enough for the spa facilities we wanted.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Darlington Town Centre
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to Blackwell Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!