“Hidden Gem”

The Old Tailor
Ranked #7 of 19 Darlington B&B and Inns
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

The Old Tailor is a perfectly decorated boutique B&B secretly tucked away from Darlington's main view. Situated above the sewing shop on Bondgate, it really is a well kept secret!
It is strange checking in via the shop, but not in a negative way at all. In fact, it is refreshing to not get quizzed about everything, and just be welcomed and taken to the room. Though, I do wish I had been asked if I needed to park a car, would like to order breakfast, or anything else that through my tiredness had forgotten to consider. In her defence, Jo did say if we needed her, to give her a call. But I felt uncomfortable doing this, and perhaps would have been more comfortable being offered extras (which could have made them more profit).

This being said, breakfast and additional needs CAN be met, you just need to ask. They do have a breakfast room in the building, but unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to experience it.

We stayed in room 1 (the first room around the staircase) which meant that we did hear alot of the other guests' "activities" throughout the night. It's an old building, and the floorboards creak, and that generally isn't a problem. I think we were just unfortunate to be staying below a rather lively couple, and we didn't get to sleep until 7am! It might be worth asking to stay upstairs!

The room really was beautiful, and they really have done a wonderful job designing the place. The lightbulbs may be better to be yellow rather than white, because late at night they are very bright (even the table lamp)! But that is my only gripe about the room. We even had a delightful luggage mat for all our things. Lots of space, VERY comfy bed, tv with lots of channels, tea & coffee, lovely bathroom.. I could go on! And we were lovely and warm the whole time despite the winter weather outside.

Absolutely worth visiting, and excellent value for money. Just ask to stay upstairs if you're a light sleeper!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lauriejackson90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Whitley Bay
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is advertised as a "boutique” guest house which by my understanding means the rooms are themed. The only thing that could be called themed in our room was the base of an old treadle sewing machine used as a table, however the plastic table cloth which covered it completely ruined any "theme". The room was much smaller than expected and the plumbing was extremely noisy. Also when I sat in the easy chair it seemed to fall backwards, I assumed it was a rocking chair but on closer inspection I realised that the back legs had collapsed! That's the minus points out of the way, on the plus side the room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The position in the centre of Darlington is also good. I don't like writing negative reviews but I did feel as though I had been misled by the claims on The Old Tailor's website.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whereveryougan
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Lovely modern decor with a cosy feel.The room which was spotless.Very convenient fwith a short walk to all the restaurants and other amenities in the old town. About 10 minute walk from the station right past a supermarket so you can stock up with any of those room essentials.
The host and hostess went that extra mile for us when they knew we were there prior to the Great North Run. They were on the doorstep first thing to take us to the station meaning what would have gone on a taxi fare went in the charity pot and we didn't need to worry about booking cabs early.
Great North Eastern hospitality and I would not hesitate in recommending it.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back might prevent any disturbance from the odd late night wanderer if you like...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gemma452013
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner stopped here very last minute booking 45 minutes before we arrived. The room was fabulous, it was decorated lovely, very modern and very comfortable. WiFi was available which was great. Would definatley recommend to friends and family! Didn't have to pay for parking as we arrived at 7pm and I was up for work the next day at 7.30am.
Only thing to comment was that there was no hand wash to wash our hands after going to the loo, and only one set of towels.
Thank you for a very comfy room!

• Stayed July 2013
York
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked direct with the hotel for 2 nights bed & breakfast. Website showed local parking at £5 per day and a breakfast room available to relax in. On arrival parking is £10 per day, no breakfast & no partial refund to reflect this & no breakfast room available to make our own unless we paid and extra £20 per night for usage due to "Health & Safety"!! This was a shame a great central location & lovely rooms. Had to buy our own milk though as not re stocked on the 2nd night and we used our friends coffee as they were also booked in for 1 night. Would recommend for central location, clean rooms & friendly staff but £50 per night plus £10 per night parking with no breakfast is a downside. Sorry!

• Stayed September 2013
carlisle
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here on my own for a course I was attending . The B&B was closed on a Sunday night due to a family christening BUT the owners Mum arranged to meet me to let me stay that night. Very comfortable place I will definitely be back. Thank you so much it's great to be able to go somewhere in a different town were we feel safe. :)

Room Tip: I loved the room at the top of the stairs at the front of the property only because I'm nest. Al...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went to visit friends in Darlington and wanted somewhere on a budget, so used LateRooms to find accommodation. Stayed at The Old Tailor, the room was at the top of a steep flight of stairs, and was very well presented with a good modern 'on suite bathroom'. The only problem was that it was very warm and muggy so we had to have the windows open. Being a Friday night and the middle of Darlington, we had a balcony for the whole nights performance of the local drunks, boy racers and assorted cat fights. So sleep was disturbed regularly in an otherwise comfortable bed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple