“Heaven on a plate coupled with superb service”

The Raby Hunt Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 286 Restaurants in Darlington
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Three of us had lunch and from the moment we arrived our experiences were first rate. One member of the party was a vegetarian and whilst hers was essentially a set menu with no choices nevertheless the food was reported as superb. It was noted that the chef was combining a range of textures and flavours with a pairing of vegetables which you would not consider possible. The regular three course lunch menu had several choices causing us to both salivate in anticipation and to puzzle over what to have - in the end our respective different choices were both a treat for the eyes and a sensation for the taste buds. When it came to the dessert we shared the three available between us.

The staff were highly efficient but unobtrusive and were genuinely keen to know our impressions of the food. We left wine choice to the head waiter and were not disappointed. Now we need to plan our next visit!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is by far the best restaurant in the North East. Fantastic food and great service in an intimate setting. I've been three times and have enjoyed everything including the great pairing wines. The tasting menu is fabulous and can't wait to return. Very lucky to live so close.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Quite simply a great experience and one of the best lunches I have eaten.

We were personally greeted by James who discussed his food and passion for the industry, he is clearly a man who deserves his star and one who isn't resting on his laurels because of it.

We came during a quiet lunch and were greeted by a friendly service, although the service team are relatively inexperienced they are really trying and credit to the restaurant for helping them progress, it was evident from the work they had been doing, including visiting other teams around the country.

The food...simply delicious. From the amuse bouches to deserts...all excellent, and more superior in presentation and production that other Michelin star restaurants I have visted. The ethos of simplicity shines through, but the preparation defies any concept that this is simple cooking, it has been meticulously planned, thought-through and delivered.

My partner described her starter as being the best plate she'd ever eaten (and this was in comparison to three other michelin star restaurant we visited in the same week). I have to agree it was fantastic, but my pigeon was preferred.

The mains (duck) were very good, but lacking a little bit of finesse compared to the other dishes, I assume the duck was cooked in a water bath as it wasn't very pink and I think that put my partner off a bit.

The deserts were really to be celebrated, the richness and complexity of the chocolate bar and iconic popcorn ice cream to be applauded, the utterly refreshing and dazzling strawberries and cream even more so.

I was driving so we opted for a very reasonably priced and delicious carafe of pinot grigio.

Simple things like the bread and (very rich salted) butter were also brilliant.

I cant wait to try to the evening menu. If I lived in the north East (E.g Newcastle, York, etc), I would be making the short trip over here regularly. Thank you so much for the welcome and advice, what a lovely bunch you all were.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband requested a michelin experience for his birthday, and being in the North East this was the closest option available. I am soooo glad that this was the closest option though! What made the experience so perfect was the relaxed yet impeccably professional service, the team made us feel chilled out from the moment we got out of the car! When I booked I had got a good feel for the place, as I am mostly veggie but have started eating fish they put together a tasting menu especially for me, it was fabulous. My husband got the full 7 course tasting menu, and practically drooled as course after course of beautiful - like what you'd see on T.V - food was brought out. The head waiter had an excellent knowledge of wine matching as well - we just left it to him to bring out dessert wines which would compliment our strawberries and cream dessert and it matched perfeclty - finally we 'get' dessert wine! A glass of saki to go with the 'posh mars bar' chocolate dessert was a surprising yet equally good comination.
I managed to book us in for a nights stay but as there are only two rooms you will have to book up to 3 months ahead for a saturday night, fridays are not too bad. Ideal if you want the magic to continue - michelin breakfast too - bonus!
We will definately be back to the Raby Hunt, a non-pretentious, family affair whose passion is fine food.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I don't know how we haven't heard of this place before! Imaginative cooking and friendly service. As good as other Michelin starred restaurants we have visited. Congratulations on an excellent tasting menu!