“First Visit....”

Foffano's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A family run business driven by passion for nice food and good service.
Tranent, United Kingdom
“First Visit....”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

....certainly won't be the last ! Had a lovely 3 course Sunday Lunch. Pleasant place - atmosphere was very relaxed and staff were very friendly.

Darlington, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The food service and ambience were excellent
We booked this restaurant based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed
As a party of 5 we all had different main meals and the food was lovely
Will definately be back

ThePtarmiganScotland
“Competent Italian in Darlington, underated, but does not promote itself.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This little corner restaurant had been suggested to me by a number of people I work with on my monthly visits to Darlington. But I had failed to find it. It is actually on a corner of one of the pedestrian walkways off the main square below the Darlington Market...but don't bother asking any locals for directions, none of them have heard of it.

Persevere however, despite almost no visible signage and dominated by 2 high profile pubs it is there!

Comfortable sort-of home made interior in a fairly small space. Quite tight tables and not a lot of room for them to move them about. Warm, on a cold night and a friendly welcome from professional owner/staff.

Attractive Menu, not over ambitious, good choices which they are obviously confident of producing and covering every area you might desire from this cuisine. A welcome change from the 70+ menu choice that you know they simply cannot support - found in other restaurants,

No Wi-Fi and a Maitre who is obviously very anti technology. "My customers do not want wi-fi" he says. "And the staff will just spend all evening watching it" he says again. Well - I wanted it and I heard a similar comment from arriving guests behind me. Re the staff - if you were busy they would not have time to watch Movies or whatever. And you can always tell them not to do so - like telling them not to guzzle all the brandy on the gantry and then have intimate relations on the bar counter in front of the diners. (None of them did or gave any hint they might do - but if they had this might have compensated for the lack of WiFi entertainment though).

Toilets a bit basic in a neglected area of the building, not a place to linger. A bit of attention needed there.

I just had a ribeye steak and it was spot on, quality meat well cooked and seasoned , with a really fresh salad and those lovely Italian chips (see my other reviews!). A fresh house wine, reasonable bill and a friendly farewell. Happy place to visit.

So a good Darlington destination that the owners just need to tweak and Market a bit more enthusiastically. I give it 4 points only because my standards are very high and my reviews very objective. I would put this in the tp 4 places to eat in Darlington centre.

If you found this review helpful, please click the helpful button. Any questions you have, ask me directly via the TripAdvisor ask facilty.

Thanks for reading.

2 Thank SirBrianMiddleton
“A MUST visit”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went for my nans birthday on a Monday night so quiet but the cosy atmosphere and welcoming staff made up for this. My boyfriend and I had the garlic prawns which were fabulous! I have not seen prawns so big in my life and they tasted fresh and the dressing was light. I had steak for my main and ordered it blue with a dolce late sauce. The steak was perfect, not over chard on the outside as often happens with steaks and it was warm throughout, a delicious cut. The sauce was not scrimped on and the homemade chips were very good! Everyone else enjoyed various other delights from the menu and not one person went home disappointed or hungry!

Complete value for money - the beefeater on Yarm Road is more expensive; smells like sewage, slow service and I wouldn't serve my dog their food. Foffanos however, has the attention to detail in every aspect.

I have asked my boyfriend to take me again for Valentines and it won't be my last visit. You need to book in advance on weekends as they get booked up very quickly.

Kirsty

durham
“Well below what others have rated it. Won't be returning.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews, and seeing that it was rated better than Our new favourite Truffle (grange road) we decided, after a day out in Harrogate to make it back to Darlington for 5.30pm and that would be a perfect end to our day out. Granted we were first through the door so it was empty but not to worry as from the reviews it would be ok. We placed our orders with the very polite waiter and our starters arrived. My favourite starter /tapas which I always order when in Spain (gambas pil pil) which is Chilli and garlic prawns, which were massive delicious. The other starters never got good reviews, and the garlic bread we ordered for the table wasn't to write home about. Our mains came two had steak and one had chicken stuffed with something. Temperature isn't something that bothers me, but after one bite of my steak I couldn't eat it as it was stone cold to the point where it wasn't even warm, so I mentioned this to the waitress and she took it off to heat it through. It came back and it was only warm, the other diners steak was only warm too but he hates complaining so didn't mention it. To me it was blindingly obvious why it was cold, because the plates were really cold. I mentioned to the waitress I would recommend heated plates, to the waitress to which she told me that he usually does heat them and didn't know why he hadn't? We got our bill to which she took £20 off and left. So unless they keep the heated plates for the weekend? I don't know. But its the simple things that can let a place down.
People have mentioned in reviews this being a 5star restaurant, I would put it in the cafe bistro category. As I mentioned earlier, I would much prefer to go to Truffle two minutes walk away. I've also tried to upload a picture of my prawns.