“A real French experience.”

The Guildhall Tavern
Ranked #2 of 379 Restaurants in Poole
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We very much like this little restaurant and only manage to get there every other month as we live some 36 miles away. The fact is that the Guildhall Tavern is by far and away the main reason why we make this journey to Poole!

It has a very genuine French feel to it which is hardly surprising as the owners and staff are all charming French people. It is smart, well decorated and a lovely dining venue, and so much cleaner than some French restaurants we like to frequent when in France!

However, the main reason we keep choosing the Guildhall Tavern is the wonderful food they serve, and in particular the seafood which is clearly very fresh. I have not yet tried their beef steak, but will be very tempted next time as the one on the next table to us seemed to be nice and thick and very rare, which is just how I like it. The only small problem with their menu is that the choice is just too great. We really to stay nearby for a week so that we can try out all of it!

Some reviewers make the point that it is not cheap, but the quality, quantity and excellent service makes it really good value. Last time we visited was for a late lunch when we tried, for the first time, their very inexpensive lunch menu (which can be ordered early in the evenings as well, except for the weekend I believe), and this was wonderful value. The portions were still very generous and I had made the mistake or ordering a crab soup off the main menu to come before the smoked salmon, (a large portion as a fish course), and then the perfectly cooked panfried hake. It was almost too much, and the value incredible. I don't know how they manage to do it for the money.

We look forward to our next visit to this near perfect restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My partner & I came here to celebrate his birthday. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. They also sang happy birthday to my partner & printed off a picture & gave it to him inside a birthday card.
We both tried things on the menu we have never tasted before & I just cant say enough about how amazing the food was. The presentation was excellent too & I hope we come up again soon as I would not eat anywhere else in Poole after visiting The Guildhall Tavern.....Perfect

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been here 4 times now and it is great every time. Lovely food and great service. My favourite place in Poole!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This has been our favourite restaurant in Poole for at least 6 years and the gradual upgrading and refurbishment works have only enhanced the pleasure with each visit.

Service is impeccable, Sebastian provides expert support in keeping glasses full and what Severine doesn't know about fish filletin isn't worth knowing.

Chef Frederic and team produce delicious food in vast quantities, puds are to die for so go easy on the complimentary bread and olives.

You can eat on a budget here but blowing out still won't break the bank.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Guildhall Tavern in Market Street, Poole, is a very authentic little corner of France just a few hundred metres from the car ferry to Cherbourg. The menu is classic bistro of Brittany & Normandy with an emphasis on seafood. Poole's fishing fleet provides some of the best local ingredients in the country - but most go straight to London. If you enjoy lobster, then it is worth ordering it a day in advance, local lobster cooked by the chef here is fantastic. As in France, the restaurant is not too proud to split a starter of fish soup between you and a friend to leave room for a pudding later. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and the service attentive without being obtrusive. The wines are well chosen and not over-priced. Once a month there are French evenings with music and a quiz - great fun and wonderful food. I would not hesitate to take a French friend here and be proud of our local restaurant.